Ferguson Trots the Same Tired Lines

Alex Ferguson was apparently “interested” in David Villa. Of course, Villa has since moved on to Barca, and most keen observers of the game would know he was unlikely to ever leave Spain. How convenient!

He then goes on to make another outrageous remark—well not so outrageous, if you think about it.

“We’ve looked at a few options,” Ferguson told the Mail on Sunday. “We did consider David Villa but he was always going to Barcelona.

“I just don’t believe there is value out there at the moment. I’m very happy with the strength of our squad as it is.”

No value? Well, let’s translate that to we-don’t-have-money. And I’m very happy with the strength of our squad as it is? Well either he’s lying/being politically correct, in which case it’s sad, or he honestly believes that his squad is alright, which is disturbing.

I think he knows the squad is not as good as he wants it to be. But clearly if he thinks there is no value in the market then he’s either deluded or his scouting network needs an overhaul. Wesley Sneijder stands out as a shining example of how the market has value—I mean, last season, of course. Of course, if you are looking for the likes of Ozil right now, his value is going to go over the roof simply because of an amazing world cup.

At the moment I’m willing to call it a bonus if we sign anyone at all. Fabiano openly declared his interest, but due to a combination of there-is-no-value-in-the-market and oh-but-he’s-29-and-we-look-to-develop-young-kids we won’t sign him. Ozil said something to the effect of ‘he likes the way Chelsea and Manchester United play’ but no one should read much into that anyway. The Mirror reckons we are interested in Stephen Ireland because Man City have bought a gazillion midfielders, but City might rather sell him off to the likes of Everton or Villa—with whom they could work out an exchange deal with James Milner—than to us.

In conclusion, I want the remote control with the fast-forward button, once this World Cup gets over, so we could skip straight to the start of the season.

* * *

Speaking of the World Cup, it’s a shame Brazil are out. Prior to the Cup I predicted Brazil or Spain with Germany as the dark horse. My pick? The winner of Spain-Germany will win the World Cup. I loved the way Germany taught a lesson to Maradona and co, simply because the Albiceleste were outed for their flawed, stuttering defence. I found the pre-match talk—of Maradona being a managerial genius—ridiculous. Whilst I thought Germany would win, I never imagined it would have been this brutal.

Also: doesn’t anyone else find it odd that the Netherlands—who have the best chance to reach the final—have got this far by playing the most un-Dutch football ever?

I bet, if they win this tournament, Rinus Michels will be Cryuff-turning in his grave.

July 7, 2010 at 4:47 pm

@Jeet: He may have brought in big names but he is an idiot for all the other small names he brought in like Djemba Djemba, Jordi Cruyff, Poborsky, Forlan, Taibi, Anderson, Tosic, Kleberson, Manucho, etc etc etc etc. Who cares who he has brought in and who he has omitted. Again, look at the big picture. It’s not about who he does and doesn’t bring in. It’s about the lack of resources he has to work with and the lack of concern he has regarding that problem while defying the wishes of the fans for him to stand up to owners who he says let him to his job but continue to tie his hands behind his back on a daily basis. Instead ask yourself why he would say nothing and yet put up with the present regime doing to him and the club what they are presently doing? Why?

July 7, 2010 at 4:49 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: Isn’t that already your daily attire there mate? 😉 😉 😀 😀

July 7, 2010 at 4:58 pm

wow everyone it seems, apart from Read Madrid, Chelsea, and shorty are being hit hard by the world economy.

The thing that really posses me off, is that our debt isn’t the clubs fault. Yes we spend alot of money on players, bur that’s because we made alot of money. Our debt is strictly from the glazers. Imagine if they never would have bought us, we would be perched to dominate Europe for years because it seems we would have the only workable model.

And I’m sorry, call me a hypocrite. But teams like Valencia, Portsmouth and now Barcelona who can’t pay wages for players and staff shouldn’t be eligible for competition. Whatever players that haven’t been paid shouldn’t be allowed to compete that week.

In my scenario this would hopefully force clubs into being responsible because they wouldn’t sign a player they couldn’t pay. If a player like villa and silva weren’t getting paid at Valencia and they weren’t allowed to play because of it they would have walked out. Instead they both stuck it out because they are loyal guys. In reality the club turned down numerous offers for the players, how many of those offers would have been turned down knowing the players would be ineligble if they weren’t paid? This would apply to all clubs and it would make clubs think twice before rolling the dice with their finances.

Obviously this isn’t water tight, but I think something among those lines is in order.

July 7, 2010 at 5:07 pm

@rimi: It’s got nothing to do with my age mate but never discount age as it brings valuable experience. I have worked for government as well as for major corporations and I have seen all the games Glazer has been playing long before any of you. In fact if people go back a few years they will read posts predicting the exact problems we are facing now written by me. Problem with people who feel threatened by someone like me is their ego because they feel they are being talked down to or being lectured. Well perhaps it may come out that way but that certainly IS NOT my intention. I am a teacher by trade and so if I sound a lot like a lecturer I beg forgiveness right now as habits are hard to break. But i know of what I speak and I can prove time and time again from my writings on this blog how often I have been right a bout many things and how few times I have been wrong. It’s not about ego, it’s about experience and it’s about understanding the machinations of financial warfare being fought and manipulated today in the world of business. Scum like the Glazer’s have operated for decades consuming property and businesses by never ever using their own money. They leverage buy everything, extort as much money as they can possibly get away with and then they let that entity crumble and die. Go online and check out their trail of waste and you will know why I am scared to death about what is going to happen to United but which fans like yourself are just too blind and ignorant to see.

Fans like you never do the research, you never learn from history and to do so you would see patterns forming and the old adage that history repeats itself. Wake up and stop pointing fingers at the messenger just because you cannot stomach his message. What I say is fact and i will stand by that. And in three to five years when we have hit rock bottom (we’re not there yet) be prepared for me to offer up a list of whining bitchy complainers on the blog who questioned and even took offence with my views and i will put all of you in your places. More out of bitter satisfaction not because i was proven right but because none of you did sweet fuck all to stop this because all you cared about was whether we would buy Sneijder or whether we would finish first in the upcoming season. Short term success addicts who cannot and will not see doom looking down on them. Pick on my age but I have been a fan of this club for probably longer than you have been alive. In my books that counts for something and experience gained over that period counts for everything. One day you will know what i am talking about once you gain the experience and knowledge that years bring to a person. Until then mock my efforts and throw the age card back at me, as if my using it was meant in an insulting way. Lets put it this way, if I was in an economics class I’d rather listen to 50 year old professor who has an extensive CV than some wet behind the ears snot nosed 20 year old who knows shit but likes to think he knows more than he does.

Bottom line is Fergie is wrong to do nothing because sitting back and allowing this just gets this club further in to the hole. And putting down the fans that care is also not the answer and he has done that.

July 7, 2010 at 5:19 pm

@Johnsom33: How can they possibly justify the purchase of Villa and the chase for Fabregas when they cannot pay their current staff of players? It’s ludicrous and it’s the height of irresponsibility.

Let me take a page out of the NCAA (college sports) in the US. Most recently they invoked a two year ban from participating in a Bowl game and from offering football scholarships all because of recruiting violations that are strictly prohibited by the NCAA. This is a sever financial hit for the University and it’s football program and it further excludes them from national attention and televised games because they are in a sense playing for nothing for two years.

What i am getting at is that FIFA and UEFA should start imposing the same kind of restrictions on clubs that are massively in debt and are especially unable to play their players. Under this kind of system United and Liverpool would be banned form the Champions League and they would get massive points subtracted from them before the season starts which would destroy their chances of a title. Barcelona would get relegated for a season due to not having the money to pay players and all players would be free to stay or go. Financial irresponsibility and operating in a delusional way while massively in debt has to stop. Punishing teams who operate like this will stop the insanity and fiscal order will return in time.

July 7, 2010 at 5:29 pm

@[OPTI]Madschester United: Sneijder+Benzema would make me have myself dressed as a tranny, wearing massive makeup, having a crowd around, and taking a picture of it and use it as my Facebook profile pic.

Yeah, no way in hell are we gonna buy them! 😆

July 7, 2010 at 5:32 pm

@Grognard: But Sir! 😮 How dare thee speak to me in such manner. Do you not own any respect for thy fellow social network commenters? Because thee Grognard, thy cannot speak to Eddy in such manner, unless you wish for nothing but the cruelest faith.

Yippie-Yay-Yay! 😆 😆 😆 😆

July 7, 2010 at 5:38 pm

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

July 7, 2010 at 5:51 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: But what if will get Sneijder but sell Andy??

July 7, 2010 at 6:08 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: At this point I don’t want sneijder, we had our chance last summer to get him for peanuts but our staff didn’t think he was good enough then but now that his value has quadrupled we are interested. It’s pure bullshit, especially when arm chair managers like us were screaming for it last summer? I’ve never made a cent kicking a ball, let alone being a scout or manager. So explain to me how a relative idiot like me could see it in black and white but arguably the best manager of all time couldn’t see it? I honestly don’t have a reasonable answer and I’m dying to know.

What the fuck was fergie doing during the sale of Ronaldo?

July 7, 2010 at 6:16 pm

@Grognard: I understand your point in using the NCAA as an example. But as you know the NCAA has more than it’s share of problems, it’s probably one of the most currupt “old boy” networks out there. Listening to those cowards extort young talent in this country for billions then hide behind “student athletes” makes my blood boil… Almost as much as hearing the words “bowl championship series”.

I’ve had my own personal run ins with the NCAA, and honestly it’s something I wouldn’t wish upon my worst enemy. They truly are the worst kind of scum.

12. rimi

July 7, 2010 at 6:20 pm

im not mocking you, im not picking on you, i have nothing against you, i even agree with you a lot of the time, the only thing i dont agree with is the vendetta on fergusons head. and altho ive not been a contributor on here i have been an avid reader and the general trend is that you regularly get into arguments with people and then ask why, when its YOU who reiterates the same tiring message about your age, about your wealth of experience, about your profound knowledge that is superior to everybody elses. it has basically come to a point that anyone who objects anything you say automatically progresses into a personal exchange. why is this? because everybody has an ego to maintain? because you are never wrong? or maybe you take things a little too personal and then provoke those who are below your level with snidey comments as in your last post?

by your analogy we should trust every word ferguson says with his extensive cv over anything you have to contribute?

im not a short term success addict, ive not moaned at all about our lack of spending or transfer policy. ive simply tried to analyse the situation and suggest reasons why ferguson is handling it like he is, and why a tet offensive might not be the solution here.

July 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm

@Grognard: Sorry for the NCAA rant I never prolly responded to your post. I’m in complete aggreemenr with you about banning debt ridden clubs even if that hurts Manchester united. If these things were in place already, we wouldn’t be dealing with paper billionaires like glazers, hicks and gillet, *insert any Pompey owner etc… Only people with the actual money would come in for these clubs.

This is truly a dark period not only for our club but football in general. I’m just hoping that this will finally trigger reform from the top down. And that ultimately football will be better for it.

July 7, 2010 at 7:31 pm

England footballer Wayne Rooney has been voted the ugliest player in the World Cup in an online poll.

According to the survey conducted by beautifulpeople.com, Fabio Cannavaro, from the Italian team, is the most beautiful player in the World Cup, followed by Fernando Torres and David Villa, both from Spain.

“Collectively, the worst looking team is Algeria. The term ‘trophy head’ could have been coined for most of their team,” telegraph.co.uk quoted Greg Hodge, managing director, as saying.

“England follows close behind, captained by the most unattractive player on the planet, Wayne Rooney. The England team do have very beautiful wives and girlfriends, but this is surely due to their bank accounts which certainly makes them a lot more attractive,” Hodge added.

David James, the England goalkeeper who let in four goals in the match against Germany, was the only England player judged to be attractive enough to join the dating site.

July 7, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Germany choose the wrong boateng

July 7, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Damn the Spanish made the Germans look incredibly average. Trust them to find their form when it matters.

17. ROOOOONEY

July 7, 2010 at 9:20 pm

what kind of world do we live in where the primadonnas are in the final this is shit.

July 7, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Were Schweinsteiger and Ozil even on the field?

Xavi Alonso alone was sufficient for the whole German midfield.
    Great result.Pretenders are out finally.

July 7, 2010 at 9:27 pm

This German team has nothing to be ashamed about, thru were written off before this world cup but they showed their quality. Apart from klose, this team will be there for the next world cup. I think they are poised to be the next world power, with their commitment to developing youth of all ethnicities. I for one have been pleasantly suprised with the Germans and I wish them continued success. To me they represent what is right with football at the moment. Team over individuals, fast counter attacking and exciting.

July 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Paraguay is a much better team than Germany.. 🙄

July 7, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Wooooooooo come on you Hollanders – get the WC will ya? So that I can collect a packet from the bookies. I want that dosh lads. Make sure Spain get the pain in the final!

July 7, 2010 at 9:38 pm

@Johnsom33: They need a defence though Johnsom! Spain showed how to play against the Germans – don’t give them any room, because their game is all about space, and Spain didn’t give them any. Spain also won nearly every 50-50 ball, but like you say – the Germans have some very good young players!

July 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm

@CraigMc: No way ,Craig.Spain will win 3-0.

July 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm

@Owen: Shweinsteiger was, but Ozil against close marking didn’t cut it at all. Shweinsteiger is the only German player I really, really like!

July 7, 2010 at 9:42 pm

@Owen: Now Owen don’t put the mockers on me getting the dosh from those sneaky bookmakers. I want that cash man 😆 😆 .

July 7, 2010 at 9:46 pm

@Owen: Errrr Christiano is the most beautiful, and that is a fact. Whoever ran that comp must have been Spanish 🙄 .

July 7, 2010 at 9:47 pm

@CraigMc: Holland will have very little chance.But Holland have lot of players who can score from distance.So they may cause some problems..

July 7, 2010 at 9:49 pm

@CraigMc: Valencia is the most beautiful but he is not playing.So sorry for him. 🙄

July 7, 2010 at 9:51 pm

@rimi: It would be better if Fergie told the truth though Rimi, instead of lying to us fans. That’s my main gripe with Fergie mate!

July 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I was surprised to see that German side had no pace today.They just parked the bus .

July 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm

@Owen: Valencia is paying you to say that – right Owen 😉 😆 .

July 7, 2010 at 9:54 pm

@Owen: The dutchmen will surprise you Owen 🙂 .

July 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm

@CraigMc: Dutch will have to take the aeroplane on rent for one day from Mourinho to park it.That is the only way they can do it.

July 7, 2010 at 9:59 pm

@Johnsom33: I think you know the answer all too well Johnsom – UNited would have not been able to balance the books without Fergie handing over the full 80 million Ronnie money. So that’s exactly what happened and we ONLY just broke even.

July 7, 2010 at 10:00 pm

By the way,where is the person who was shouting for 10 days as this German side is the best ever side to play Football,Ozil is new Maradona and Schweinstieger is new Platini. 🙄

July 7, 2010 at 10:03 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: Thy was a bad boy. Sorry all exalted one. I am your servant Your Heinous. 😀 😀 😀

July 7, 2010 at 10:06 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: I think Inter would demand more than 14 sacks of coal. 😀 😀

July 7, 2010 at 10:09 pm

@Johnsom33: I so totally agree. Why buy him now for almost double the price when we could have won the league and perhaps the Champions League last year with him already in tow had Fergie not wasted his time in the head playing with himself. I’m so sick and tired of him showing interest in players two to three years after I have brought them up as outstanding transfer targets. And as for Neuer, does he need more evidence than today as to whether he is an outstanding keeper? Certainly couldn’t blamed on the goal by Herman Munster that fucking long haired Spanish bastard freak.

July 7, 2010 at 10:11 pm

@Jeet: Ronaldo would have had 20 goals in the world cup IF Nani had been his supplier, cos Nani was on fire and in great form, until he hurt his collar bone, and they made a mistake not keeping him out there because he was fit 10 days into WC. 😆

July 7, 2010 at 10:13 pm

@Johnsom33: That’s not the point. NCAA is a joke and the way it treats student athletes is disgraceful as they are feeding themselves off their sweat and energy and won’t even let them have a taste. The point is I love it when they come down on a school for recruiting improprieties. The slam their fist down unlike UEFA or FIFA whose sole purpose in like is to find way s to screw with United and elevate the status and success ratio for the top two Spanish sides. They make physically with their hypocrisy. UEFA and FIFA have to come down hard on all teams operating on a debt.

July 7, 2010 at 10:14 pm

@Owen: You want whacking with a soggy custard pie Owen mi man? 😆

July 7, 2010 at 10:26 pm

@rimi: You’re not mocking me or picking on me but all you did with this rant is exactly that. I made my case and defended and I’ll be damned if I don’t defend my age when it’s constantly thrown in my face because I do believe that with age comes experience and wisdom. If you cannot see that or respect that then it’s you has the problem mate, not I. I will always defend myself against unfair accusation on my person or personality.

I love to debate and have often admitted being wrong or giving my opponent his due, but not when my knowledge and experience comes into play. Frankly put, if you saw my resume you would piss yourself and then permanently shut up because it is that extensive and it is that much in tune with operational aspects of major corporations and how the cheat and steal. So unless you can match that, don’t come up to me with your wet behind the ears attitude and shit all over my experience because that’s when I’ll have you for breakfast factually and intellectually. And if you can’t handle that, I just don’t really care.

I’m just tired of people who can’t match my experience or intellect being put off by it simply because they do not have the capacity or ammunition to get into a battle of facts and wits with me. And as for Fergie, his CV is based on football management and nothing but. He knows sweet fuck all about running a major corporation or multi million dollar football team from the business side of things. So like you, when it comes to what the Glazer’s are doing, he is all wet behind the ears. My analogy of what you are trying to do with me is debate the legalities of the law with a lawyer when you are just a plumber. Perhaps that is overly harsh but then again, making light of my experience and age is just as insulting to me.

At this stage I really could give a rats ass if people consider me arrogant or full of myself. I just hate stupid blind ignoramuses that try to tell me I am overreacting or I’m full of hot air or that my messages are “tiring”. Frankly I’m sick and fucking tired of being questioned over things I am extremely knowledgeable about. Disagree with me if you must but just don’t mock or insult me in the process and you’ll be surprised how much respect and politeness I will show you in return, even if I disagree with your point. I’m too old school for online trash talking. I still live by an old code that makes me often act out in frustration on here.

July 7, 2010 at 10:35 pm

@Johnsom33: There you go mate, we are in agreement. I too agree with your feelings on the NCAA. I just think it’s time to step on all teams who conduct themselves in an irresponsible manner and who rule over more fiscally responsible teams like Wigan simply because they can and are willing to carry a massive debt. It eventually comes back to blow up in their faces but by the time it does that, they have numerous trophies and bought numerous players which makes what Wigan is doing mute. Wigan is responsible and playing by the rules yet they cannot compete because of this unfair manner in which bigger clubs operate. It’s got to stop and a good start would be for FIFA and UEFA to use the German Bundesliga model for imposing sanctions and changes that will get all teams on the same page playing fairly and operating within their means. That’s not socialism, thats being fair. United should still be better than wigan because of the size of their stadium and their much longer supporter base. Tough times call for tough and strict measures. It doesn’t protect the small clubs from the big clubs. It protects the big clubs from themselves.

July 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm

@Grognard: Thy excuse is granted! Now my little puppet, dance and cheer for Holland to win the World Cup! 😀 Driven by one of the players I respect the most, Wesley Sneijder! Come on Wesleeeeey! 😀

There is no secret that I like Dutch players. I’m very fond of Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Van Persie, and Stam and Bergkamp in the past. Dutch masters! 😎

July 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I am totally gutted and deflated by the Spanish victory today. Fuck how I hate Spain. Fuck how I hate Herman Munster Puyol. The one player I never wanted scoring against my Germans. 🙄 🙄

Germany got it all wrong today. I actually didn’t think they played that poorly. I am not an advocate of ball possession as it is an overrated statistic. Spain had a few great chances and a lot of half chances but then again, Germany too had some really good chances. Where Germany lost this game was in giving the Spaniards too much respect and by setting up way too far back. They should have come at Spain early in the game hoping to poach an early goal which would have opened up the Spaniards more for their cobra like counter. But instead they fell back and did an admirable job of soaking up pressure but that tactic I felt even before today was going to backfire in their faces. I knew that if they gifted Spain the first goal that it would be game over because Spain would go into Barcelona mode and just play keep away for the rest of the game. And thats exactly what happened after they scored. It was Rome all over again.

I could live with it if Villa or Xavi had one it for them but the two players I hate the most in Spanish football who I dreaded scoring against Germany were Iniesta and Puyol and as it turned out Puyol scored with that ugly Frankenstein head of his. FUCK how I hate that dork. I’ll say this though, that game for me was the final. No way the Dutch with their inferior defence are beating Spain in the final. They can Robben and Schneijder themselves all they want, Spain is going to win the final 2-0 or 3-1. No way are the Dutch a better team than Germany. As for the third place match, who the fuck cares? If i were Germany I wouldn’t even waste my time showing up. Play the reserves and who cares if they win. Bitter, angry and totally gutted. 😥 😥 😥 😥 😥

July 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm

@Owen: Rooney is not as ugly as Puyol or Mertesacker.

July 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm

@Grognard: I agree, this game has got to be the final. Spain should win it from here. I used to have a soft corner for the Netherlands in the past, but I feel the current side, is a bit crap and joyless and a far cry from its attacking/total football philosophy.

Anyway, Germany have done well. Don’t worry. I think this German side has a lot of talent to become a major power for the next 8 years.

A word of encouragement: In 2014, Kroos and Müller will be 24, Marin/Ozil will be 25, Khedira 27, Schweinsteiger and Podolski a grand old 29. These players will be entering their prime.

Other teams have got to be shit scared of this. 🙂

July 7, 2010 at 10:58 pm

@Owen: Up yours mate (I mean that in joking manner so don’t get too offended as I’m really bitter and hurting right now). The Germans were fine. They played great but the choice of tactics limited them. I love Low but he got it all wrong in this game because he showed them too much respect. Schweinsteiger and Khedira were forced far back and Ozil was just a little off his game but still had moments where he was dangerous. Capdevilla was not tested enough as Spain’s very weak link at the back because Mueller was not around. Had Mueller played a lot of those quick triangle counters with him, Ozil and Lahm on the right side would have sprung them for some better chances. Of that I am convinced. Still, full value to the Spaniards for playing good game and deserving the win. Although Brazil is hosting the next World Cup, look for Germany to be a true powerhouse by then as all these kids right now will be in their prime by then. And that is a scary thought because inexperience hurt them today.

Germany has nothing to be ashamed of as they were a bright light in a tournament that has been steadily destroyed year after year by pragmatism. Unfortunately what hurt Germany today is that for the first time in this tournament, they became pragmatic. That’s an opponents reputation can do to the best of teams.

July 7, 2010 at 10:59 pm

@Owen: Pee Wee Herman is a much smarter person than Owen. 😉

July 7, 2010 at 11:02 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: I dearly hope the Dutch win and kick Spain’s ass but it won’t happen mate. This win will be all Spain need to find their true mojo and roll over the Dutch. Grognard has spoken. 😀