Manchester United Fixtures

Match Preview: Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Manchester United

After maintaining their five-point lead at the top of the Premier League with a 3-1 win over Aston Villa, Manchester United will look to at least do the same and set a new club record in the process this afternoon as they visit struggling Wolves.

United produced one of their better performances of the season on Tuesday at Old Trafford, thanks in no small part to Wayne Rooney, who struck inside the first minute, added a second shortly before halftime, and assisted on Nemanja Vidic’s finely taken second-half strike that all but sealed the deal.

If Tuesday’s performance was the beginning of a long-awaited scoring run from Rooney, we could finally start to see the goals we’ve been craving this season. Of course, cautious optimism is a must with Rooney, but when the confidence is flowing, it’s far easier for the goals and assists to as well. And if Rooney starts hitting that highest gear at just the right time, it bodes well for United as a whole being able to find that consistency in being able to perform well both home and away.

With a win today, United would set a new club record for most consecutive league games unbeaten with 30, surpassing the mark that was initially set from December 1998-September 1999 and equaled on Tuesday.

It’s getting to be desperation time for Wolves, who enter today at the foot of the Premier League table with just 21 points, three points behind 17th-placed Birmingham City, who have a game in hand. Mick McCarthy’s side has lost three consecutive league matches and was dumped out of the FA Cup last weekend at home to Stoke City. On Wednesday at Bolton, Wolves let a point slip away in the late moments in rather disastrous fashion, with Daniel Sturridge pouncing on an ill-advised back pass by Ronald Zubar to score the match-winner on his Trotters debut.

Still, despite the home side’s struggles and lowly league position, the last thing United can afford to do is take them lightly. Wolves have home wins over Manchester City and Chelsea, and they also stunned Liverpool at Anfield in late December, a result that no doubt helped hasten Roy Hodgson’s ‘departure’ (all’s well that ends well there, it seems?).

On top of that, Wolves put a real scare into United at Old Trafford in November, with United needing some late Park Ji-Sung heroics to escape with a 2-1 win.

Park won’t be in the mix for United today, as he’s still resting up from his month-long excursion with South Korea. Park also scored in United’s 3-2 Carling Cup win over Wolves in October, so Wolves will likely be glad to be able to avoid him today. Rafael could be set to return to his starting slot at right back after sitting out the last two matches due to a concussion suffered at Blackpool. Outside of that, there aren’t any injury concerns other than those who’ve not featured for United in some time.

With their attack currently firing on no cylinders – Wolves have failed to score in their last three matches, the home side will amp up their defensive responsibilities to avoid finding themselves in a hole like Villa did. This certainly doesn’t project as an easy encounter, but it’s one from which United should be able to claim the three points without the same cardiac displays that have been a hallmark of this season’s ventures away from Old Trafford.

Prediction: 2-0 United

February 10, 2011 at 6:55 pm

@johnsom33: I can agree with most of this.

I think that the time to spend is in the summer as we need to replace hargo. He isnt coming back and i believe that he is out of a contract at the end of the year and we can recover some of his wages/transfer fee(?) from insurance. replacing him should be as much a priority as replacing vds.

after those two i think we will probably bring in sanchez or a winger/forward of his mold to appease fans appetite for attacking flair.

Those will be the big spends and we could bring in a couple young players with promise as we may see a couple leave to find playing time(gibbo)

I cant wait till cleverly gets back in the side and gets cup games next season.

February 10, 2011 at 6:56 pm

@Owen: Also Ozil wanted to sign for Real, we were never in the frame.

3. johnsom33

February 10, 2011 at 7:01 pm

@RMJ: “Tevez was always a bitchy whiner(how many midweek games did he miss even when he was doing well for us) despite his talents and Fergie was going to have none of it” false false false. I hate having to always defend Tevez, but I cant stand when people make up history to suit their current arguments. Tevez hardly ever bitched until about the midway point of berbas first season when he was constantly rotated for seemingly no reason. Why would he? he was played in all the big games, it wasnt until fergie tried to pigeon hole berba into the lineup that tevez really started to mouth off. No none is perfect and certainly not tevez, but to label him as always a whiner is a bit disingenuous.

4. Moscow is my heaven

February 10, 2011 at 7:11 pm

@johnsom33: Regardless of Berba’s stellar form this season, we betrayed Tevez when we signed Berbatov. The Argie might be a cunt now, but you are right to defend Tevez, he is a human being, and people act out of their ways when they are fucked over like that. When he revealed his frustration of squad rotation by confessing to the fans, he booked a place in Fergie’s doghouse, and that is a realm from which there is no return.

5. RMJ

February 10, 2011 at 7:17 pm

@johnsom33: 😳 i agree that he started going of the track after berbatov came in but i dont think fergie really saw him on a long term basis…don’t know why..there was patch in 07-08 when Rooney and tevez combined and i thought wow we have a strike pairing on par with yorke and cole…but it was not to be…

February 10, 2011 at 7:19 pm

@Moscow is my heaven: tevez is more than just a “cunt now” maybe he wasnt the cunt he is today when he was with us but the guy cant get controversy off his back. he and his creepy owner/slavemaster have tried to dick over everyone they have dealt with. and he was crying about wanting to go back to boca when he was with us as well. I will be forever grateful for the goals he gave us and the assists but the boy has to be the queen bee or the shit hits the fan. wish he was still with us but he didnt want it he wanted the money and so did his slavemaster.

7. Jay wire

February 10, 2011 at 7:19 pm

@Tony- I don’t think I contradicted myself. I quoted what Ferguson said and history seems to support it. The players we bid for or showed official interest in, like Villa are the rule to the exception as I said in the post you’re referring to. I didn’t suggest that we only make stars and that’s it. Perhaps I should have spelled it out more explicitly. But if you check the post I did say the majority of our star players were made. But when it comes to football’s elite, it is correct that Veron is the only one we actually signed. I didn’t say we would forever stop there. Secondly, the 3 players were attempts at different times. We obviously didn’t want all of them, so to quote a figure of Β£100m is out of line because it’s highly unlikely we would get all 3 without a major exodus.

February 10, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Tevez is a Cunt.End of.Vida please break his leg and help him end his career which he always threatens to.

9. johnsom33

February 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

@Moscow is my heaven: “β€˜What about our defence? As solid as they come.’

I’m sure the mighty titans known as Wolves will agree with you”

by that logic the other 17 teams woulld disagree with you. 1 game and you think we have a shaky defense? a game without our best defender Rio. So what do you want, fergie to go out and a buy a world class defender who is on par with rio and vidic? No one will come because they want to play, why do you think Pique left, sure he is a barca product but he prolly(just my opninon no proof) had he been a full time starter. So you are left with inexperienced backups like smalling and evans who have potential but are still learning. Thats the definition of a understudy, proven world class defenders are going to take a backward career step and be someones backup or aternate option.

10. RMJ

February 10, 2011 at 7:21 pm

@Owen: right in terms of wages we are on par with city which is incredible…

11. Jay wire

February 10, 2011 at 7:27 pm

@Tony- “we won’t be making bids for players 26 and over because they won’t have a resale value”

Okay, this is the first time I’m hearing about such an official statement. If you don’t mind please provide links.

12. johnsom33

February 10, 2011 at 7:29 pm

@Owen: “Tevez is a Cunt.End of.”

yes thank you for clearing that up, there seemed to be a lot of confusion about that.

February 10, 2011 at 7:32 pm

oops

14. johnsom33

February 10, 2011 at 7:40 pm

switching gears… Is there ever gonna be a time when journos give up this messi ronaldo duel? Seriously how dull is it now. “Barca are applauding Messi win over ronaldo more than spains win” “Portuguese paper declares Ronaldo winner in messi duel” who gives a fuck anymore? In case anybody missed it Argentina beat Portugal. Both players played great but Argentina won the “duel” against Portugal. Forgive me if im a little old fashioned but is 1 team beating the other supposed to be the point of the game?

15. Jay wire

February 10, 2011 at 7:47 pm

It’s amazing that now we are talking again of high wages we can’t afford. Compare current wages our players are getting with other clubs. For crying out loud, John O’Shea’s current contract amounts to Β£80k a week. If Vdv is on Β£70k, do the math. This is the thing that I’m talking about. As much as we should be opinionated, let’s try to adequately back the opinions. For instance, we can’t afford high wages and the evidence is our players’ wages are low relative to the rest and the wages of players we need like x or y at their current clubs, are too high in comparison.

16. RMJ

February 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm

@johnsom33: i saw the game and well i personally thought Ronaldo won the battle during the time both he and Messi were on…it doesn’t help the Portuguese that they have some atrocious strikers

17. RMJ

February 10, 2011 at 8:09 pm

@johnsom33: there isn’t an official club statement quoted in that article you posted…its more like speculation

February 10, 2011 at 8:13 pm

@Johnsom33: It’s because I speak the truth and if I am not sure of something I say so. I know that comes across as arrogant but I’m sorry, I know what I am talking about. I’m not just 52 mate, I am 52 with an awful lot of experience in upper management, financial experience working with corporations as well as government and running my own business. When I speak I do not speak as a blind man with a feeling but a man who can base a lot of what he can say on evidence, fact or examples.

Again, I apologize if that comes across as arrogant, conceited and overly aggressive to you, but there comes a time when young people need to listen to their elders a bit. I listened to mine and I would expect intelligent people to take the word of an intelligent elder. I respect everyone’s views on here whether I think they are wrong or right but one particular member has gone too far with his blind praise and defence of an indefensible position, and I have actually kept my temper and my wrath mostly in check. I respect his right to voice his opinion but the fact is, his opinion is based on rumours, conjecture and selective writings and not on facts and hard evidence or experience in these matters. He believes everything he reads and trusts the lies and the spin that comes out of Old Trafford which for me is mindlessly lame and so I say so.

I have made my arguments for or against a position and when I do, I make a point of mentioning whether what I speak about is fact or whether it is just a feeling I have. My feelings regarding Fergie are not based so much on fact but on feelings but my rants against the Glazer’s are based on my knowledge of the financial culture they operate under as well as my experience in dealing with that kind of management. The proof is in the pudding and too many documents and well researched editorials have been published that open the door wide into the world of the Glazer’s and point at their skulduggery and abuse of power. But what we have here is one man who despite all those well intentioned articles or journalistic forays, seems intent on backing them and their regime despite their guilt. So forgive me for speaking my mind and for having the intelligence, experience and IQ that seems to threaten you and so many others. I do not apologize for it but I do apologize that my manner offends you because I do respect you and consider your opinions important. But you are wrong on this and I say that respectfully. I am smarter than the average bear and that often threatens or puts people off. That is why half the United States hates Barack Obama. Some people just feel threatened by somebody who has the skill, intelligence and ability to convey those abilities. I am sure that sometimes I am wrong but I would say the times I am wrong over things I am relatively sure about are slim. When I do not know anything about a certain topic or player, I am more than honest to say so. The other day somebody asked what I thought of a few Dortmund players. I said not that much. So trust me, my ego doesn’t completely run my life. πŸ™‚

February 10, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Wow wow!! What discussion bonanza on here πŸ™‚ REDRANTS IS ALIIIIIVE!!! πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

United is gonna be just fine if we add a good GK and a couple promising and creative midfielders.
    Scholes, Hargo, EVDS out —–> 3 promising youngsters in.

If scholes stays for one extra years, I still think we need an extra midfielder.

So someone give me some top candidates (with likely price tags) to fit these shoes:
    1. Young (sub-26) creative play-making midfielder: Schneijder (30+ million)? Anyone else?
    2. Young (sub-23) attacking midfielder: Rodwell (10-15 million), Sanchez (20-30 million)?
    3. World class (sub-28) goalkeeper: Neuer (20-30 million), Adler (10-20), Stecklenburg (10-20) ?

ΒΏQue?

February 10, 2011 at 8:23 pm

@Johnsom33: The reason I am turning on JayWire is that he is insulting us and offending us by taking a position defending the indefensible. I honestly don’t care for his reasons because i know enough about the Glazer’s and their history to make the accurate claim that they are indefensible. So his going on and on about this has pissed me and others off enough that I say to him enough, move on.

I have been in JayWire’s position and have had people react towards me in the same way enough to make Red Ranter step in and tell us all to cease and desist regarding the topic. It’s not about who is right or who is wrong. Being a United supporter and anti-Glazer is not a debate, it’s a position that 99% of us hold and we will be damned if we want to hear musings of the 1% that don’t agree with us. At times like that I could care less about fairness or democracy. The fact is JayWire shows nobody on this blog an ounce of respect or consideration by always taking the Glazer position on things and by sadistically selling his love, admiration and passion for Barcelona. He has the right to do so but it is a very unpopular and strategically big mistake to get all the members of an entire blog to turn on you just because you feel it’s your right to be an asshole and keep rubbing salt in all our wounds. So rather than point fingers at me for having a low pain threshold, why not poke a finger in his direction for instigating a verbal riot and animosity towards him with his minority views. I respect his views but I do not agree or want to tolerate them simply because they are so far right that they make the majority of us sick to the stomach.

February 10, 2011 at 8:24 pm

@johnsom33: They’ll never give up. Why? Well, because Messi is likely the most valuable product in football EXACTLY because he is claimed to be better than Ronaldo and this makes Barcelona more valuable… it’s all about money (fans = money!).

It’s a PR campaign with a lot of money riding on it. πŸ˜€

February 10, 2011 at 8:26 pm

@johnsom33: old article that was proven to be BS. United tried to sign Ribery and Villa but both attempts failed.

February 10, 2011 at 8:30 pm

@Stephen: Yeah thats right always get confused between brucie and pally, both bloody great players.
    Yorke i think was maybe a record signing for a foreign striker or was our ost expensive signing at the time or something like that im sure i remember.
    Could also add barthez to my list as we broke the record for a gk signing when we brought him for Β£10m i think it was.

February 10, 2011 at 8:34 pm

@[OPTI]Madschester United: There is a very fine line between a good and great team.3 wins in 12 away games is not a sign of great or League winning team.It is also true that we don’t need major overhaul but this is also fact that we urgently need 2-3 players.Actually we need replacements because those players were great and are going to end their careers.The coming youngsters are no way near them and we will have to spend to get someone somewhat as good as the spent forces.

You can’t get EVDS with 2-3 millions.You will have to spend to get one.Likes of Scholes and Giggs are not now in our reserves.Those two replacements will take you 50 millions at least.If Fergie thinks Gibson and Obertan are the answers,then i am sorry to say he is forgetting the standard of United.Also we fans(except Jaywire when i write we) are due for a big name signing.Don’t we?

February 10, 2011 at 8:34 pm

@Owen: Thats very true and a good point in regards to wages. How much exactly would the likes of ribery, villa and sneijder have demanded after we “made an offer” to try and sign them? Atleast Β£100k id wager, and as far as i know, only rooney and ferdinand are on anything more than Β£100k.

February 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm

@Jay wire: You know what mate, I just don’t care anymore and above all, I don’t care for your views or position on the subject. You have made it over and over and over and most of the time I just sat back and allowed you to say what you want without reply. But I finally reached my tether last week and injected my 2 cents worth without getting deep or rehashing statistics and facts that I brought up times before. I asked you kindly to stop and move on because the topic was either boring us or angering many of us but you decided to Hell with all of us and you continued. Well I say now to Hell with youy mate. I am sick at the site of your name on this blog and I ask you to either move on and talk about something else or shut the fuck up and leave this blog.

This is not my blog and I am way out of line for saying that to you but what you are doing is pissing a lot of people off who do not care for your point of view regarding the regime that is running Manchester United. It matters not if you are right or wrong or whether your points have fact or are fiction. To use a rough analogy, you have taken the side of Adolf Eichmann at Jewish run tribunal. It’s a no win scenario for you and it is offending all of us who do not care or want to hear anything good or fair written about people who we see as evil incarnate. So kindly take this advice and stop. I asked you before and you would not listen and I ask you again. If you don’t I will formally complain to the moderator of this blog and if he doesn’t listen to me, then i will be forced to quit this blog because you sir are offending me with your hysterically ridiculous views and position. I could care less for fairness and democracy right now. You sir are a stubborn asshole who refuses to take the hint and just fuck off. And for those out there who disagree with me on this, I could care less. I never previously had a problem with you or your rants but this subject matter has brought out something in you that has tweaked my temper and my tolerance and so it’s clear, it’s either you or me. Shut up or one of us will have to go because i refuse to participate on a blog that would have a moron like you as a member. We are United fans here mate, not Barcelona fags and above all, as United fans we see nothing and want to see nothing positive said about a regime that is dragging our beloved club into the ground. So go ahead, the next swing is on me. πŸ™„ πŸ™„ 😑 😑

February 10, 2011 at 8:39 pm

@Redrich: Well said.

28. johnsom33

February 10, 2011 at 8:39 pm

@Grognard: Do you understand the concept of credentials? Why should we believe you? Because you are 52? If you claimed to be the son of god should I take your word for it because you claim it to be true? Why is your opinion so powerful that it should be considered evidence? Do you walk into random courtrooms and place your ID on the witness stand and say “see im 52, and I know what I am talking about. This man is innocent because I say so” thats the most ridiculus thing I ever heard. You seem to forget that all you are on this board is a avatar named Grognard with a shirtless picture of Cantona. Based off that we are supposed to know you are one of the most superior minds on the planet and we are foolish to even question you. Sorry Grognard, that doesnt come off as arrogant but more like delusional.

Fact is your no different than anyone else on this board, we are all strangers. A few of us are friends on facebook so I guess we are a little more transparent, but other than that we have no idea of knowing who the other posters are or what they do. All we can do is take their word for it.

All people ever ask of you is to back up what you stay with sources, but you never do. You just hide behind your “superior intellect, and I dont have to waste my time explaining to you blah blah blah”. Please just start cite sources and you will shut everyone up. If your right what are you so worried about?

February 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm

@Redrich: πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

February 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm

@Jay wire: Gill has said it on numerous occassions, as has fergie in some of press conferences in the summer, and johnsom has kindly provided a link for you aswell so dont know where you’ve been mate.
    Seriously though as i said to you before, i know you seriously believe we made attempts to sign sneijder, ribery and villa, but in ribery and sneijders case both offers were played down by us (as stated in the link johnsom gave for ribery, and someone else did for sneijder just this week), and all 3 would against this “no signings over 26” rule we seem to have set in stone anyway. Would be a pretty big contradiction on their part, if they then went out and bought Β£35m villa, who at 28, provides next to no chance of ever bringing in any resale value dont you think.
    This whole policy i mentioned, seems all the weirder when you compare it to the situation with tampa. I as an englishman, know next to nothing about american football, but ive read enough to know they too are penny pinching and using that “we look for young talent” rouse that was almost word for word with what gill said.
    Im not disputing we have always tried to develop young talent, but effectively ruling out any chance of ever bringing in a sneijder or villa in the future simply because they wont provide a resale value just seems another clear example of the glazers trying to be more cost effective and hope they strike gold with another ronaldo.

February 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm

@Owen: Give me one team in this league that is a “League winning team” according to your personal definition.

My definition is: whoever has most points after 38 games is the league winning team.

February 10, 2011 at 8:48 pm

@Jay wire: Did you ever stop to think about just why a player like Andy Carrol, or Michael Carrick, or Jermaine Defoe etc go for the elevated prices they go for? it’s got very little to do with whether they are as good as a Torres or Villa. It has everything to do with the bias and prioritization that is happening in the transfer market. A team like Liverpool right now buys a player like Carrol and over spends on him simply because they presently lack the present pedigree or reputation to attract players who are much better but who are foreign and who would rather pick beats in a warm field rather than play for a floundering Liverpool or Villa or West Ham etc. Agents of UK born players know this and hike their clients prices up knowing that the deciding factor is not the players ability but his accessibility. There are world class players available for less than what Liverpool paid for Carrol but the chance of Liverpool successfully signing any of them in their current situation is slim to none. And that my friend is the single determining factor as to why a team would pay elevated prices for UK born talent. It has nothing to do with value. πŸ™„

February 10, 2011 at 8:51 pm

@[OPTI]Madschester United: We will see at the end of season.That time don’t tell that our away form was the reason we missed by 1-2 points.I hope you will remember.

February 10, 2011 at 8:51 pm

@Jay wire: That john o’shea story was written in a rag known as the sun, which is all i need say here. As far as i know hes never even signed a new contract, and has barely got a game the last 3 months which makes me doubt we would offer Β£80k p/w to a 2nd choice rb/lb/cb or whatever the hell he is.
    As i said before, as far as i know only rooney and rio are on Β£100k or more right now, and when you consider probably all 3 of sneijder, ribery and villa would demand atleast that when we “tried to sign them”, you cant simply dismiss that wages come into play aswell as lack of transfer funds.

February 10, 2011 at 8:52 pm

@Grognard: +1.

February 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm

@Redrich: I sometimes wonder if that guy ever leaves his house and just how high his white picket fence is. As right wing an individual as I have ever seen n this blog. And to think many think I am fascist when I am very liberal and very leftist in my way of thinking. Oh well, to each his own eh Red?
    The lad is a sadomasochist. He inflicts pain on us by rubbing salt in all our wounds and spouting BS while also constantly opening himself up for merciless abuse due to his untenable position. And people thought I was hard core because of my stance against the Glazer’s. I may have been harsh and over the top and overly critical of Fergie’s roll in all this but at least I was on the side of good, not evil. The bloke is a rebel without a clue.

37. RMJ

February 10, 2011 at 9:00 pm

@tonymontanna4united: to be fair i think the sneijder link is the only serious big money inquiry we made as it has been the only one so far confirmed…agents say a lot of things and is worth nothing…villa was always bound for estrogen filled catlonia…

@Grognard: i am sorry grog but i beg to differ, doesnt matter if you are 52 or 25, fact is you have offered nothing to back up your claims…like most of us, jaywire included like the fact that the Glazer’s bought the club or that they straddled our club with so much money but i am not going to suggest something stupid as our club should belly up, sold for less than what we are worth just to cater to the needs of fans who feel bitter that the club is owned by a yank, truth is they have been better owners than the filthy rich garbage down the road and other moron lots around the country. Our monetary transactions are pretty much available publicly for all to see and its pretty evident we still have money but we are not jumping into an already stupid market
    ..and as to his barca love..he enjoys that sort of football which i don’t but that doesn’t warrant he is less of utd fan because of it

February 10, 2011 at 9:01 pm

@Grognard: But he is my best friend.So please leave him Grog. 😎 😎

February 10, 2011 at 9:02 pm

@johnsom33: Sticking with young players who just aren’t good enough is not the answer mate. Like baseball, there are two groups of prospects. The more risky high school prospects who offer great risk but more potential or the University matured and slightly older prospects who may not have as much potential but are more mature and experienced and less of a risk. If United were a baseball team their mantra seems to be to go after more high school prospects which like I said earlier is a big risk. Too many things can go wrong with a 17 year old that do not happen with a 21 year old. The smart teams buy players who are 20-23 and not 16-19. I personally think 95% of our under 20 players are shit on a stick and to wait and put so much emphasis on their development is foolhardy at best. No mate, this club needs n injection of serious money, a house cleaning plan that rids us of up to a dozen players and a revamping where we buy at least half a dozen stars or soon to be stars between the ages of 20-24. The time is now, not five years from now. United is not in the business of babysitting and daycare.

February 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm

@Owen: Next on the agenda would be a full frontal lobotomy me thinks. πŸ˜› πŸ˜›

February 10, 2011 at 9:06 pm

@RMJ: But then there are other forums also to express Barca love?When United fans hate them ,why bring their name?

February 10, 2011 at 9:06 pm

@Stephen: So I guess it’s safe to assume that your glass is half full? Sorry mate but many like myself don’t even operate with the glass as half empty. I threw my glass against the brick wall. πŸ˜€

February 10, 2011 at 9:07 pm

@Owen: Why are you then stating NOW that we don’t deserve the title when we are leading by 4 pts? What is your definition of “League winner”?

February 10, 2011 at 9:12 pm

@Stephen: We must applaud him for the coaching job he has done. It’s a miracle what he has managed to accomplish with this band of misfits and underachievers. But he does not get a free pass from any finger pointing mate because he has taken the side of the Glazer’s time after time and has also defended their extortion and corrupt policies. Yes he is a legendary manager but as an ally to the republic known as Mancunia, I have questions regarding his allegiance and honesty. Above all, I ask why he would tolerate the raw deal the owners have given him as well as the fans? WHY?

45. johnsom33

February 10, 2011 at 9:14 pm

@tonymontanna4united: Actually I stand corrected, after re reading the article I found no quotes from Gill or SAF. I have since searched for more confirmation but every article just links to Daniel Taylors original piece.

February 10, 2011 at 9:19 pm

@Stephen: It’s hard to dismiss the six solid years he gave this club and the trophies he helped the club attain. I think it is right and fair to love him and respect him despite the fact he wanted out. That has not left him ever dissing the club. He has been quoted on many occasions that he has a serious love and respect for the club he left and that he is still in contact with former teammates as well as Fergie, who himself has severed any old ties to players like Beckham, Keane, RVN, and others who have left the club. Ronaldo is a legend who happens to have played more games and played more seasons for the club than Cantona who is a god to United faithful. And Eric didn’t leave for another club, he retired well before his time and left us with a massive hole to fill. Why are people not upset with him over that? Because he is a legend who did great things for the club and fans and Ronaldo falls in line that way also. You don’t have to like him but you have to respect his accomplishments and the significant time he spent with the club. Six years is a long time.

47. RMJ

February 10, 2011 at 9:20 pm

@Owen: it is perfectly fine to disagree, and besides we have a lot of more than one club fans here who rave on about the success of their teams(like grog does about bayern)….so why cant he do the same?

48. johnsom33

February 10, 2011 at 9:24 pm

@Grognard: “No mate, this club needs n injection of serious money, a house cleaning plan that rids us of up to a dozen players and a revamping where we buy at least half a dozen stars or soon to be stars between the ages of 20-24. The time is now, not five years from now. United is not in the business of babysitting and daycare.”

fantastic! now go and tell fergie(who happens to be older than you, therefore wiser). again you miss the point here… To quote The Rock “It doesnt matter what you want”! You say the youngsters arent good enough,at this moment that isnt the argument so youll get no debate from me, but how do you know fergie does or doesnt think they are good enough? If he thought they were good enough dont you think that would effect his transfer strategy?