Manchester United’s quest to strengthen their midfield continues, with the club desperate to secure one of their main targets of the summer. Speaking at a press conference in Japan, where United have travelled for the third leg of their pre-season tour, David Moyes has confirmed Manchester United have made a second bid for Barcelona and Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
One of the transfer sagas of the summer is set to reach its completion, with Wayne Rooney edging ever closer to a move to Chelsea, who are poised to table a second bid for the wantaway United striker and who, according to a tabloid” are confident that “Rooney will never wear a red shirt again”.
Chelsea’s second offer is thought to be in the region of £24m, but different papers report that the Blues would consider raising their bid to around £30m to secure Rooney’s services, even if they had to wait until the end of the transfer window on September 2.
The only thing newspapers seem to be willing to agree on these days, is the need to disagree. The transfer window is no exception and, depending which tabloid you believe, United’s pursue of Cesc Fabregas is either nearing completion or already dead and buried, despite Ed Woodward’s anticipated return from Australia.
With news emerging late yesterday afternoon that Barcelona manager Tito Villanova was to step down because of his recurring battle with cancer – by the way, best of luck to him – the Catalans’ future appears to be rather more chaotic than it did until yesterday, but could Villanova’s departure influence Barcelona’s strategy in the transfer window?
Manchester United were given a hero’s welcome in Sydney, during their open training session at the ANZ Stadium, ahead of tomorrow’s friendly against the A-League (Australia’s top flight division) All Star XI.
Robin Van Persie will not start tomorrow, but the Dutchman has already impressed his new manager David Moyes.
David Moyes has confirmed Manchester United have made a bid for Cesc Fabregas, with the Barcelona midfielder increasingly likely to be the reason behind Ed Woodward’s anticipated return from Australia.
“I couldn’t tell you exactly where we are with [the Fabregas move],” said Moyes, “but I will hopefully know a little bit more in the next day.
“I might have a little bit more information about how it’s going.
“As far as players are concerned, we’re looking to bring some in and we’re working hard to do that.
“We’re trying very hard to make some additions to the squad and hopefully we’ll have some good news in the not too distant future.”
“I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad.
“I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract.
“I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say yesterday and surprised by some of it.
“It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world.
“I have never had anything but complete respect for Manchester United How could I not have done, given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?
“For me its all about winning trophies – as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.
If ever proof was needed that the summer transfer window does indeed deserve the “silly season” label, over the last couple of days United have provided abundant evidence that June, July and August fully deserve the nickname. United’s transfer window has so far resembled a soap opera, floating between the farcical and the hilarious and, at least judging by today’s newspapers, there are no improvements on the horizons.
Let’s start with Ed Woodward‘s decision to abandon United’s tour in Australia to fly back to Europe to attend “urgent transfer business” which, one would hope, at least categorically rules that good old Ed has only come back to secure a deal with an Indonesian ice-cream factor or some other sort of sponsors which, these days, seems to be more important for United than signing players.
We were approached recently by SportsDirect to write a monthly exclusive for their newly formed News site, SportsDirectNews.
We saw this as a brilliant opportunity to improve RedRants’ profile and Dan has agreed to have his head and shoulders proudly displayed alongside our banner which takes pride of place alongside all our future articles featured on SDN.