Gary Neville has insisted United don’t need to replace David Moyes with a “big name” manager, as the club’s aura should in itself be enough to attract world class players at Old Trafford.
Ryan Giggs has been appointed as interim manager until the end of the season and will take charge of his first ever game as Manchester United manager on Saturday when Norwich visit Old Trafford, but the club is looking to appoint a world class manager ahead of next season, with Louis Van Gaal and Carlo Ancelotti seemingly among the favourites to replace Moyes.
Despite the managerial turmoil that has defined the last couple of days, United are still reportedly set for a spending spree this summer, after the club seems to have finally realised that plugging round holes with square pegs can only go so far when it comes to ensure the team remains competitive enough to challenge for trophies.
David Moyes’ successor hasn’t been chosen as yet, but United intend to, as one paper puts it today, “plough ahead with their transfer business”, in the hope to avoid the farcical mess that characterised United’s transfer window last summer, when the shaky foundations for a crumbling season were laid.
Much has been made of the urgent need for Manchester United to bring in new recruits this summer as they look to return to the top table of European football and make a swift return to challenging for the Premier League title.
Before Moyes’ sacking yesterday, he seemed likely to oversee a fairly major player exodus in an effort to free up funds and squad space for incoming players. But with the future a little less certain, no full-time manager in place and a man temporarily steering the ship who is not likely to have any say on summer transfers, United’s pursuit of transfer targets will surely be put on hold. But what about departures? With so much spoken about the players not being ‘good enough’, who should survive the cull and who should be shown the door?
David Moyes has spoken out for the first time since being sacked by Manchester United. In what his a very dignified response to being relieved of his duties, Moyes, who insisted United had “big plans” for the future, thanked the fans and the staff at the club but, crucially, declined to acknowledge any of the players.
Here’s his statement in full.
With David Moyes and most of his staff gone, the nightmare that has occupied our minds for the last 10 months looks to be finally give ground to some much needed optimism and excitement, as the club seeks a manager capable to bring United back into the elite of English and European football.
The rumour mill over Moyes’ successor has been in full swing since he was told he was no longer required at Carrington and given every man and his dog have picked a list of candidates, we thought we’d join the fun too, given we were denied the fun 10 months ago, when Fergie dumped Moyes in our laps - Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp aren’t included, given they’ve already ruled themselves out of the job.
Its official, David Moyes is no longer the manager of Manchester United. His spell lasted only two hundred and ninety five days.
Judging from Twitter and Facebook etc, I usually spoke for myself when I said I wanted him to stay and to be given more time. Despite this, I had always said he was never the right man for the job. He was, however, chosen by arguably the greatest manager in the history of football, to take the club forward and lead us to more success. After a dreadful season many grew impatient and in the end, so did the club and its owners.
Sir Alex Ferguson will have a say in deciding which manager should replace David Moyes at Old Trafford, after the former Everton manager was specifically appointed on his advice, only to fail miserably and being sacked just 10 months into his United career.
Since Moyes was relieved of his duties yesterday, two managers have already ruled themselves out of the running, with Pep Guardiola stating that he’s determined to remain at Bayern Munich for at least another two seasons, while Jurgen Klopp, who would have been the perfect choice for United, has made clear he has no intentions of leaving Dortmund.
Gary Neville has attacked the club over their handling of David Moyes’ sacking, as he claimed that the way the United’s hierarchy managed the situation portrayed the club in the wrong way.
Moyes was handed his P45 this morning, as United finally run out of patience with the man to whom they had given a six-year contract 10 months ago and who has overseen one of the worst season United have endure in the last three decades. Neville, however, insisted that while Moyes didn’t help himself, the players and the club should take a long, hard look at themselves.