Having spent the last two weeks surrounded by the same uncertainty that characterised last summer’s pursuit of a world class midfielder, United look to have finally taken a step forward in their quest to appoint David Moyes’ successor and could unveil Louis Van Gaal as their new manager as early as next week.
Reports published last night by different sources, including the Mirror and the Telegraph, suggest the Dutchman has agreed terms with Manchester United and will sign a two-year deal with the option to extend his contract for a further 12 months.
It seems that United’s hierarchy simply can not bring themselves to make a swift decision, regardless of it being needed to seal a transfer or to secure David Moyes’ successor. Yesterday it looked as if it was only matter of days before Louis Van Gaal was unveiled as the new Manchester United manager, but different reports today suggest the Dutchman might no longer be the frontrunner to replace Moyes.
The main issue, it seems, is that Van Gaal is determined to bring a five-man coaching staff with him at Old Trafford, including former Ajax, AC Milan and Barcelona striker Patrick Kluivert and former Ajax captain Danny Blind, which would see Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes, Phil Neville excluded from the coaching set-up.
Ryan Giggs expects Manchester United to bounce back immediately and return to fight for the title next season, after a dismal campaign has seen them finish outside the top four for the first time in Premier League history and which will likely lead to a first season without European football for the first time since the 1981-82 season.
Giggs was named interim manager in the wake of David Moyes’ sacking and got his managerial career off to a winning start, as United demolished Norwich 4-0 on Saturday, playing with a verve and tempo they had almost never shown this season.
Wayne Rooney yesterday said that Ryan Giggs has all the credentials to become a Manchester United manager, adding that the way the Welshman has handled himself since being appointed interim manager at Old Trafford makes him look like he’s “built” for the job.
Giggs’ managerial career got off to a winning start as United trounced Norwich 4-0, producing the sort of performance that they seemed incapable to deliver under David Moyes. After a slow start, United kicked on in the second half, attacking with conviction and swagger and playing at the sort of tempo Giggs had said he wanted to see from a Manchester United side.
Former United coach Rene Meulensteen has revealed that David Moyes repeatedly “ignored advices” of the coaching staff and made a series of fundamental mistakes that ultimately led to his demise and to him losing his job barely 10 months into his Old Trafford career.
Along with Mike Phelan, Meulensteen was one of the members of Sir Alex Ferguson’s coaching staff that in July were deemed surplus to requirements by Moyes, who opted to bring in his Everton lieutenants Jimmy Lumsden, Steve Round, Chris Woods and Phil Neville and the Dutchman claimed that Moyes only has himself to blame for his failure.
Gary Neville has insisted United don’t need to replace David Moyes with a “big name” manager, as the club’s aura should in itself be enough to attract world class players at Old Trafford.
Ryan Giggs has been appointed as interim manager until the end of the season and will take charge of his first ever game as Manchester United manager on Saturday when Norwich visit Old Trafford, but the club is looking to appoint a world class manager ahead of next season, with Louis Van Gaal and Carlo Ancelotti seemingly among the favourites to replace Moyes.
Despite the managerial turmoil that has defined the last couple of days, United are still reportedly set for a spending spree this summer, after the club seems to have finally realised that plugging round holes with square pegs can only go so far when it comes to ensure the team remains competitive enough to challenge for trophies.
David Moyes’ successor hasn’t been chosen as yet, but United intend to, as one paper puts it today, “plough ahead with their transfer business”, in the hope to avoid the farcical mess that characterised United’s transfer window last summer, when the shaky foundations for a crumbling season were laid.
David Moyes has spoken out for the first time since being sacked by Manchester United. In what his a very dignified response to being relieved of his duties, Moyes, who insisted United had “big plans” for the future, thanked the fans and the staff at the club but, crucially, declined to acknowledge any of the players.
Here’s his statement in full.