With the transfer window entering its final five days, Manchester United have been dealt a new blow as Real Madrid midfielder Mesut Ozil has insisted he has no intention to leave the Spanish capital, meaning that David Moyes will have to look elsewhere if he is to bolster his midfield between here and September 2.
Ozil was thought to be open to a move away from the Bernabeu after doubts were casted over his position in the starting XI this summer, following the arrival of Spanish wonder-kid Isco from Malaga, while new Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti looks keen to resurrect the career of Brazilian playmaker Kaka.
United were reportedly read to open talks with Real Madrid in order to lure the playmaker away from the Spanish capital and their hopes were boosted by Ozil’s reaction at being substituted in Madrid’s opening game, when he cut a frustrated figure and stormed down the tunnel.
However, the German international, who had been linked with a move to Old Trafford in the summer of 2010, stressed he’s happy at Real Madrid and has no desire to leave.
“I have a contract until 2016, I feel very good here and get on well with my team-mates. For me it is an honour to play here with this team,” he said on Wednesday.
“I want to succeed here. There has been a lot written in the press, they have spoken of interesting options, but I have a contract and I am staying at Real Madrid.
“I have the confidence of the coach and there is a series of objectives that we want to achieve in which every one has their own role to play. This is one of the reasons I want to stay,” said Ozil.
With only five days to go, David Moyes is facing a race against the clock to secure the sort of top-class players he’s been desperate to sign throughout the summer and reports suggest the United manager could turn to his former club Everton table an improved offer for Belgian star Marouane Fellaini, valued by Everton at £25m.
Related items from Red Rants: