David Moyes has reiterated that Wayne Rooney won’t leave Manchester United and has also hinted that United are in discussion with “several players” as the Scotsman seeks to bolster the squad ahead of his first season in charge at Old Trafford.
United’s strategy this summer has been nothing short of shambolic, with Moyes missing out on the likes of Thiago Alcantara and Cesc Fabregas, while Everton remain adamant that Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines won’t leave the club, but the United manager remains confident of landing his targets before the transfer window shuts on September 2.
“I’m confident we’ll have players in before the start. We’re involved in discussions for several players, and we’re working very hard to do so,” Moyes told Sky Sports earlier today.
“It was always going to be a difficult window for me personally. I joined on the 1st of July, which has given me a short period.
“It’s never the same until you’ve worked with the players, but we’ve got a great group of players, they won the Premier League last year.”
The United manager insisted that Rooney won’t be leaving the club either. “There have been no more developments and we don’t want any more developments because we have told everybody – which I have said before – he is not for sale.”
“I will need to see how he is when we get back. When I get back I will try and assess him,” said Moyes of Rooney.
“I watched the game last night and I thought for the 65 minutes or so that he played, I thought he did well.
“He ran around, he got himself some fitness, but it certainly was his first outing in any real competitive game.”
Related items from Red Rants:
Tags: Manchester United News