Vidic to stay, Cleverley+Welbeck loan deals…

"I don’t know why people think it was a difficult decision," I always said I am happy here. I never spoke about my future. I know there was all this speculation but I never said I wanted to go. There was nothing new. I am very happy to be here."

via Vida happy to stay – Manchester United Official Web Site.

Great to hear, but my hunch is that this is his last season at the club, and that Smalling was bought with a view to eventually replace him. Which is greatโ€”buying Smalling, that is. We can’t really say the same of our midfield.

In other news, SkySports.com on Welbeck:

Skysports.com understands Manchester United have agreed to loan out Danny Welbeck to Sunderland. The Black Cats made an enquiry about taking the highly-rated striker on a season-long spell at the Stadium of Light.

And the Daily Mail reckons Roberto Martinez has sealed a loan deal for Cleverley at Wigan.

If true, I hope Welbeck gets enough minutes at Sunderland. I trust Steve Bruce to give him more minutes. I don’t believe Welbeck will make it at United, but given regular minutes in the Premier League could change things.

On the other hand, I really like Cleverley a lot. In fact, if we were not to buy any midfielders come 1st of September, I’d probably give him a good go in the centre of midfield ahead of Gibson. I was worried about talk of a possible loan move to Newcastle or Bolton because he’d likely play for a side that will be forced to scrap their way through the season. Wigan could also be forced to do that, but Roberto Martinez likes his side to actually play football. And if that means playing Cleverley more often in the attacking role, then it would be wonderful.

Hopefully it’s Wigan instead of Bolton or Newcastle.

1. despicable

August 6, 2010 at 1:59 pm

@colver: Getting him on free could be the best thing possible, mourinho got sneider in second season and achieved all he could, may be next year RM can go all the way.. ๐Ÿ™„

2. despicable

August 6, 2010 at 2:01 pm

@Stephen: I hope Gibbo gets better and does well for us as fletch has done.. Tom also has the capability, then we wont need costly recruits… ๐Ÿ™‚ and we can save money and spend on one place where it will be absolutely necessary..

3. as

August 6, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Cleverley just too talented for another loan stated Sir Alex, spot on boss & hopefully he can get the goals our mf should get, he has the ability to get between 8-15, Gibbo have similar attributes as Scholesy & here hoping he kicks on & get a few more goals. Fletch, Park should do better when getting certain num of goals as to Nani, Valencia who both have the deadly ability to nail 10plus a year & this can be the start, Utd shoud get around the usual 100-120 gls but we need the df chip in with few more.

August 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm

@Stephen: Torres was totally injured so hardly played, so unfair to judge him Stephen. Ronnie has had a poor season all round, and it was Nani who scored the goals and made the assists that got Portugal to the world cup. Messi – well enough said ๐Ÿ˜† . Sorry though Stephen Rooney is not ever proven he is able to make it on the world stage. He was just devestatingly awful. I would make allowances for the previous two WC’s because he was injured, but not for this one. Then I don’t believe any of England’s team for the last 3 WC’s have world class ability. Sorry pal!

August 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm

@CraigMc: What he wasn’t injured this time then?
    I will never understand United fans having ago at our best player, but maybe that is just me.

August 6, 2010 at 3:22 pm

@despicable: Who knows what the future hols for these lads, people including me matewrote off Fletch. There were many who thought Ronaldo was a circus act and nothing more, lets just see how these lads develop including Smalling and the Twins they could be the future.

August 6, 2010 at 3:30 pm

@CraigMc: Ashley Cole is one of the best ledft backs in the World mate, an arsehole but a great player.

August 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm

@CraigMc: Ronnie had a fine club season, not really sure why your saying he had a poor season.

And messi didn’t scorecin the world cup, but he still played well. And he was extremely unlucky not to score 2-3 goals.

9. Don

August 6, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I think the Cleverly news is a double-edged sword…while it is fantastic to retain him because of his progression and it sends a signal through the United youth ranks that if you are good enough and work hard enough you can make the first team squad, it is unfortunate that we are carrying a lot of weight (some of it dead e.g anderson and hargreaves) in the midfield and Tom will struggle for the odd game…what has made him progress is that he, unlike Welbeck and Macheda, has played competitive football week-in week-out for the past couple of years…that’s the only way you can learn and get a rhythm to step up to the big time….either Fergie is thinking of off-loading one of our midfielders or Fergie actually thinks Tom will force his way into the 1st eleven..if not Fergie has done Tom a diservice….I predict Hargo will be released maybe…

August 6, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I could care less how Rooney plays for England so long as he puts it behind him and builds on last season to cement his place in the elite category. To score as many goals as he did last season is truly fantastic especially as he was playing a lot of the time in a 4-5-1 or with no help whatsoever from Berbatov.

I cannot wait to see the Hernandez-Rooney partnership.

Cleverley will play the cup games and get a few outings in the easier games. But Id rather he was playing every game away on loan. He won’t get a run in the side playing for us unless he plays exceedingly well the chances he gets.

August 6, 2010 at 5:43 pm

@Johnsom33: I wasn’t having a go at Messi at all, that is why I said enough said – because I think it goes without saying he is a WC player. Ronnie was injured for a good few games of the season, and was missing or woeful in a good few Portugal games. The Spanish press at one point were saying Ronnie wasn’t performing to his upper eschelon performance staus in parts of their season, so there you go Johnsom. I don’t think Ashley Cole is world class, and I don’t think he has ever shown it on a world class stage. But then we all have different opinions of what world class is!

August 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm

@Stephen: Stephen its not ‘having a go at our players’ if what we are saying is the truth. I didn’t say Rooney hasn’t come good and proved himself for United, but he was woeful in every aspect of his game at the WC mate, and there’s no other way to say it. As I said though, most of the other England players were too. I have not singled Roon out on his own, I have said about every England player – but I must say IMHO Rooney was the worst of the bunch – sorry mate, I am not trying to incense you or anything!

August 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm

@despicable: it made me smile too he is what 19? if they pay him that now they will have to raise it in a couple years if he turns out to be worth it. they are going down a road that is not sustainable.

all together now…lllllets all laugh at city. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

August 6, 2010 at 5:54 pm

So it is official :

Valencia is the best player of Manchester United.

August 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Well I guess the Cleverley on loan to Wigan stories were false. It appears Fergie has realized no Ozil deal is going to happen when you only have 3 pounds and some lint in your pocket. As if Ozil was ever really possible with our team in such financial trouble. Anyway, I have very mixed feelings about Cleverley sticking around. I think the kid really has some talent and class but will he really get a good chance to display that for us in anything other than Carling Cup matches. Sure we might see a wee bit more of him at the start of the season until Carrick returns but will Fergie be able to resist boring the hell out of us with Scholes and Giggs who right now I am royally pissed off at because both of them are holding back kids like this due to their presence. God knows I love Giggsy but still, Cleverley and even Gibson need to get their chance to shine. I sure hope that Tom’s pre season form is enough to wow Fergie enough to really give the lad a chance because we so badly need an injection of new blood in that midfield. I still think a season at Wigan would have made Tom the best young talent in England next to Jack Rodwell who I want more than any other player not going by the name Manuel Neuer.

August 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm

@PissedOffRed: I so don’t care about this game and frankly if I was United or any other team I would refuse to play on that surface for fear of my boys getting injured. I don’t think Wembley has any other choice than to put in US style artificial turf like Moscow because the base under that stadium is quicksand and it will not allow anything to hold and take proper root or form a foundation.

August 6, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Tom Cleverley is the best player in the world

August 6, 2010 at 6:14 pm

@Stephen: Last time I heard this was a Manchester United blog and Fergie is the biggest name involved with this team and has a major role with what is and isn’t happening with this club. Besides mate, why are you so sensitive about this? You don’t have to agree with my comments but you should be polite enough to tolerate them as it obviously means a lot to me. Unlike you, Fergie and the Glazer situation means a lot to me and it upsets me greatly what this alliance is doing to the club’s future. Why can’t you and others respect my right to rant about it. Christ so many fragile sets of ears and eyes on hear. It’s not a big deal mate. I am just voicing my feelings and opinions on the subject and you can do the same. I’m not insulting anyone on here who thinks differently than me. Why can’t you give me the same respect? Every post doesn’t dig at him but nearly every day he says or does something that pisses me off. The economic problem and the Glazer’s is an ongoing perpetual problem that doesn’t want to go away. Fergie is right smack in the middle of that so it’s pretty tough to tiptoe around him for fear of offending fragile ego’s. Sorry.

August 6, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Now honestly, I am a massive fan of young Tom. Whenever I got the chance to watch the Reserves or Watford, he always impressed me with his workrate and flair. I don’t exactly know what “it” is, but he certanly has IT. I praised him even before the USA tour and said we should keep him in our squad, so these news make me really happy. ๐Ÿ˜€ If the lad is given enough chances, he can be a really vital asset for our team this season. I really hope he is given some chances in the Premier League, because for me, he is the best thing to come out from our ranks since young David Beckham. Go on Tom, really happy for you! ๐Ÿ˜€

Really looking forward to this season now!!!!! :mrgreen: And whatever rating Tom gets on FIFA 11, he and Fletch are gonna be my main midfield. ๐Ÿ˜† Oh yeah!

20. Darth Red Diablo

August 6, 2010 at 6:18 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: Wasn’t that Anderson? ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

August 6, 2010 at 6:19 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4:
    Tom Cleverley >>>> Maradona

August 6, 2010 at 6:20 pm

@Taehr: Yes but for two weeks is not a good reason to hold a player like that back into the reserves once Carrick comes back. With Carrick, Fletcher, Scholes, Giggs, Anderson (if he returns) and Gibson we have too many bodies vying for playing time and this will affect Cleverley’s playing time. At Wigan he would have been a sure starter and would have gained the same kind of valuable experience that Toni Kroos is going to bring to Bayern this year now that he was properly broken in by Leverkusen. If Fergie plans on sitting all these guys (except Fletcher) in favour of Tom then I am all for it but we all know what is going to happen here.

August 6, 2010 at 6:27 pm

@Darth Red Diablo: Cleverley has taken his mantle mate, what has happend during the pre-season has made my mind about Anderson. If there was one reason I looked up to Anderson it was because he was a kidder, a joker, a zero-embarrasment guy like me. But drinking and smashing his car into a wall, colliding with the fact that he seems to have no ambition or will to become better has really broken my spirit about him. For fucks sake, I play for a youth team, and I get the whole summer off, and what do I do?! I spend the whole summer training, making myself stronger, better and fitter. What does he do? Smash cars into walls being a drunk. Really dissapoints me. The last straw has soon been drawn…

August 6, 2010 at 6:28 pm

@Owen: Agreed ๐Ÿ™‚ Well, if not now, then soon.

August 6, 2010 at 6:28 pm

@as: You’re dreaming mate. This isn’t FIFA 10 on your XBOX. One player getting over 20 is reasonable, two is outlandish and more than two is surely science fiction/fantasy. Fergie has to juggle the playing time of 3 strikers as we all know he will play Rooney until he drops. Hernandez, Berba and Owen will have to alternate a lot of games in order for one of them to even have a shot at double figures. I personally see Rooney scoring over 20, Berba with a dozen, Hernandez with 8 or 9 and Owen with 7 or 8. That’s just EPL numbers. In all games I could see three of them in double figures. I have and will always have feelings of nervousness regarding Owen as he is an injury waiting to happen. Hernandez could score a lot of goals for us if given the time but i personally do not think he will get many starts in the EPL. Instead his role will be that of Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, the supersub. One has to remember that no matter how good our strikers are or aren’t, they need better service from our central midfielders than they got last year. Thank God for Nani and Valencia or they would be positively starving for the ball.

August 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm

@despicable: I’m afraid that Fergie is seriously considering selling or loaning out OwnGoalinho. He is looking to one of his Brazilian relatives known as OnceInABlueMooninho who will be taking over that role and possibly popping in two or three goals. Yet more cost cutting measures by Fergie. OwnGoalinho was demanding more playing time and much more money. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

August 6, 2010 at 6:39 pm

@CraigMc: What I love about the kid is his versatility to play anywhere and his composure. That great goal he scored vs the MLS All Stars was a touch of Gaza class which is rare in a player like that, not to mention a British player who although can produce good footballers, rarely produce players with incredible finesse and skill of that nature. If Fergie is smart he starts playing his 4-2-3-1 0r 4-5-1 with Cleverley starting at least 2 out of every 3 games. I also think we need to see a lot of Gibson this year to finally determine if he has a long future with the club.

August 6, 2010 at 6:48 pm

@Stephen: Yes it is just you mate. Having a go at players and managers is what footy forums are all about. These people aren’t religious icons or family members who have sacrificed organs to keep you alive. They are rich public figures whose job it is to entertain you. And if they don’t they deserve to get the shite served at them. Do you compliment directors and actors who produce a crappy movie? Do you say the director did a fine job and the actors were great despite the fact the movie sucked? This rule that our players are icons and insulting or verbally abusing them is off limits is just total bollocks. Like some others on here mate, you need a reality test and some proper perspective on things. Never ever forget that Fergie and all those players don’t even know or acknowledge your existence yet you are prepared to fall on a sword for them. Now tell me if that isn’t just a little strange? I may cheer for them or boo them but at the end of the day mate, these people are complete strangers to me, and i to them. So that means the gloves can come off whenever I deem them necessary. ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ˜€

August 6, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Cleverley should get the number 7 shirt

August 6, 2010 at 6:53 pm

@Owen: You and I both know that’s not true. You and I both know that the team’s best player is on MR. NANI.

August 6, 2010 at 6:53 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: I think Cleverley will win WPOTY Award next season.

August 6, 2010 at 6:54 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: SSHHHHHHHH! Don’t give Real Madrid ideas. ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

August 6, 2010 at 6:55 pm

@Grognard: No sir. His name is Tom. James Tom. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Opps, sorry, meant Tom Cleverley. ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Love your Grognard, please have sex with me. O:)

August 6, 2010 at 6:56 pm

@Owen: I love you

August 6, 2010 at 6:56 pm

@Grognard: In more than half of the matches,Mr. Nani remains the best player for the opposition actually due to his inconsistency. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

August 6, 2010 at 6:57 pm

@Grognard: Let them motherfucking bastards get their ideas, Tom is a English lad with his heart in United. If given the chance and the support at this club, he will never leave. Never!!! If a bid is accepted for him, I will personally strangle the one who decided to let him leave. Personally… ๐Ÿ‘ฟ I love Tom

August 6, 2010 at 6:58 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: Grog is coming to Norway or you are going to Canada to spent the night together? ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

August 6, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Tom is the Ying to my Yang, which means I need him as much as my girl when trying to get an erection.

August 6, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Oh God, I think I have a man-crush to Tom Cleverley!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Oh well, now that done is done, the least I can do is to enjoy it… Aaaah, Tooom!!! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

August 6, 2010 at 6:59 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: I am positive FIFA will give both of them a poor rating. They always do because the kids they have programming the game (I know many of them) are clueless. I’m still mad at the ratings they gave Thomas Muller, Ozil, Marin and a few others last season. Hernandez should get around an 80 and Cleverley should get around a 75 but i expect him to be about a 70 and Hernandez around 75 or 76. Meanwhile Scholes will get his 85 and Fletcher will be around 980 when he should be around 85. Ozil and Muller better both be in the mid 80’s or I am going ballistic.

By the way mate, how are you enjoying your vacation? ๐Ÿ™‚

August 6, 2010 at 7:00 pm

“Give Cleverley to Pools and take Torres.”

If this proposal is accepted by Fergie,then i will simply kill him..

August 6, 2010 at 7:01 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: Does that mean that Grognard was right all along? ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

August 6, 2010 at 7:02 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: He probably will in a year or two. The reason it was given to Owen is because Fergie knew this is a number that when given out for a the long haul, needs to be given to a deserving candidate and right now there isn’t anyone. So might as well give it to an English legend for the time being.

August 6, 2010 at 7:04 pm

@EduardoDaVinci4: Not unless you give me the courtesy of a fine dinner and a reach around. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

August 6, 2010 at 7:05 pm

@Owen: I guess you never watched the last 30 games united played then huh? Nani was this team’s best player in the second half, by far. And he was consistent, consistently great.

August 6, 2010 at 7:06 pm

@Owen: Actually we were thinking of meeting up at your place for a threesome and some cookies. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜›

August 6, 2010 at 7:08 pm

@Grognard: I think now again i have to go older posts and bring your quotes where you told to sell Nani. ๐Ÿ™„

August 6, 2010 at 7:10 pm

@Grognard: I am already booked with my GF for a long fight in the night. ๐Ÿ˜†

August 6, 2010 at 7:31 pm

@Owen: We will meet in Liverpool, have sex under the floodlights, and be such filthy pigs that we clean up that city. ๐Ÿ˜€

Or fuck it, I will never step foot in that discusting city! I’ll take a flight to Vancouver, meet my old mate and have a pint at the finest local pub he knows. ๐Ÿ˜‰ What I put in his drink to drug him I will rather not say… ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†