Manchester United’s U-18 team came away with a thumping 4-3 victory against rival side Liverpool’s U-18 on Saturday. The Red Devils top the North table with 24 points off 9 games – maintaining an inch-perfect record.
Both teams displayed quality in the final third and it was a day goalkeepers of both sides would like to forget. United took a 2-0 lead after Charlie Wellens and Charlie McNeil scored to build a comfortable lead in the game.
Liverpool struck back and scored three quick goals to put United behind. Enter Joe Hugill.
Hugill, 17, arrived from Sunderland in the summer. The hype around him was unreal, and yesterday he lived up to it. He scored two late goals to grab three points for United, in the United tradition of old.
Hugill is a proper poacher with brilliant positioning skills. He was at the right place and the right time to slot his first goal after Liverpool’s goalkeeper failed to hold a long-range effort from Noah Emeron.
His second goal came off after Charlie Savage’s shot deflected off Liverpool’s defender and landed at his feet. Hugill performed a spin and changed the direction to attempt a grounded finish from six yards.
United’s future looks bright if the talent they have in their youth team successfully transitions to the senior team, a la Greenwood and Rashford.
- Gary Neville has no doubt who Man United should pursue between Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham
- Manchester United turn attention to Leeds United’s Kalvin Phillips after ending Declan Rice pursuit
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa