The winter transfer window is set to open on New Year’s Day and Manchester United have been linked to the signings of a number of players.
It would appear that Jose Mourinho is keen on making additions to our midfield either next month or at least before the start of next season. Players linked with a move to us include both Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal.
Another midfielder strongly linked with us in Schalke 04’s Leon Goretzka. The 22-year-old is set to make a decision on his future by the end of January, according to the latest reports.
Goretzka is in his final year of his contract with the Gelsenkirchen-based club and can enter talks with clubs in the New Year with a view to making a free transfer move in the summer if he does not sign a new deal beforehand.
As a result the German international is attracting interest from a number of top clubs around Europe, including Barcelona and Arsenal.
Schalke will no doubt be doing their best to keep hold of their asset and have offered the player a new club record deal. Speaking after his side’s 2-2 draw with FC Koln on Saturday, Goretzka revealed that he will decide on his future in January. Goretzka said:
“I have to find out for myself what the next step should be.
“I have to consider a million things. I am a person who is very meticulous in such decisions. I play through all the scenarios. So I need time.
“There doesn’t exist a deadline, but I think we are in the final phase. The final decision will be made in January.”
Leon Goretzka has been impressive in the Bundesliga so far this season with four goals in his 11 appearances (8 starts) for the Royal Blues, who sit third in the German top flight.
The 12-time German international is thriving in head coach Domenico Tedesco’s formation in the number eight role with freedom to drive forward and support the attack. He is hoping to be part of Joachim Low’s national team squad for the World Cup in Russia next summer.
Goretzka could be considered as a replacement for Henrikh Mkhitaryan in the number 10 role at Old Trafford with the former Borussia Dortmund star failing to settle into the Premier League. Following Mourinho’s decision to drop the Armenian, Jesse Lingard has been impressive in that role of late.
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion