Manchester United have a unique opportunity in their hands. They could sign their target Boubakary Soumare without much effort now.
Lille were pondering on selling Soumare since last January. Soumare rejected Wolves and Newcastle United and wanted a bigger club as his next destination. Reportedly, he was happy to move to either United or Liverpool.
Last month, Lille president Gerard Lopez confirmed that he will undoubtedly leave the club. Soumare will be available for a cheaper fee amid COVID-19 pandemic.
Inter and Napoli made a last-ditch attempt to hijack Manchester United target Boubakary Soumare too. However, nothing panned out.
This suggests that Soumare still wants to move to Premier League. However, United have an advantage over Liverpool. The Merseyside bought a similar first-team player in Thiago. With no expected departures, United is a better fit for Soumare.
Who is Soumare?
Soumare would not be characterized as a modern-day midfielder. He belongs to the now old fashioned breed of box to box midfielders.
Soumare is a player who shows great anticipation both off and on the ball. His calmness in possession shows a fearless nature to his game, he is willing to accept the ball anywhere on the pitch. He then looks to distribute it with his wide array of passing abilities.
The 21-year-old is a true powerhouse. His stamina allows him to move across the pitch effortlessly for the whole game, his running and presence make him a natural fit to play in any league across Europe.
Should United sign him?
Soumare should be a serious target for Manchester United.
Soumare would be a good addition to the current United side. United are struggling to ebb the flow of goals against them, with the defense and the lack of a good holding midfielder to blame.
The Red Devils need a midfielder who can contribute to both their attack and defense, their present options are not too good at this. Nemanja Matic is too old. Scott McTominay is good but doesn’t offer stability and cannot shield the defense efficiently.
Soumare is excellent at linking the attack and the defense. This would help United if they have him in their team.
With news surrounding that Paul Pogba could leave the club and join Real Madrid, signing Soumare should be a no-brainer.
Boubakary Soumare is valued at £22m million by Transfermarket.
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash