Manchester United midfielder Fred has claimed that the Red Devils had a “great season” even after remaining trophyless for yet another year.
This past campaign was United’s fourth year without winning silverware.
Fred arrived at Old Trafford from Shakhtar Donetsk in the summer of 2018.
He had a disastrous debut season in England where he failed to cement his position in the side.
However, his performances have improved significantly over the past two seasons.
Despite this, many fans feel that he is not the ideal fit to bring the required composure in United’s midfield.
In a recent interview with the club, the 28-year old admitted that the team has improved over the season.
He said: “For me, the team’s done really well and been growing over the season.
“We didn’t start that well as we didn’t have a pre-season. We had the Europa League semi-final which was prolonged last season.
“We didn’t have a pre-season and got better and better over the season and reached the final.
“I think overall the team’s had a great season, we could have achieved more.
“We wanted to win more trophies, but I think generally it’s been a great season.”
Fred made 49 appearances this past term, scoring a solitary goal and assisting twice.
His only goal was of huge significance as it came in the 3-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur.
Speaking on his individual performances, he added: “It’s really important to me to be starting in games, to be in the eleven.
“I’ve played and started in a lot of games this season.
“I’m really happy with this, happy to have been in good form and having a great season together with the entire team.
“As I’ve already said, I want much more, more trophies with United, I want to achieve a lot here and I’m sure there’s a lot more to come.”
United fans will not totally agree with Fred’s review of the season.
After being knocked out of the Champions League, they were considered strong favourites to win the Europa League.
Wins against AC Milan and Roma made their credentials even stronger.
Villarreal finished in the seventh spot in La Liga, yet they were able to beat the Red Devils to claim the trophy.
Solskjaer has opted to use Fred and Scott McTominay to gain control of the midfield.
However, this forces Paul Pogba to drift to a wider position or start the game on the bench.
It will be intriguing to see how the Norwegian chooses his first XI next season.
To take a more attacking approach in the game, the manager may have to pull one of the holding midfielders out of the starting line-up.
- Manchester United close to reaching an agreement for star winger Jadon Sancho
- Manchester United want Paul Pogba to stay at Old Trafford
- Axel Tuanzebe set to leave Manchester United on loan
- A look at Scott McTominay’s Euro 2020 journey as Scotland bow out
- Manchester United fans react to Harry Maguire’s dominant return vs the Czech Republic
- Wayne Rooney eager for the “mouthwatering” clash against Manchester United
- Manchester United confirm four pre-season friendly games including Wayne Rooney reunion
- Manchester United captain feels “confident” after recovering from injury for England’s Group D decider
- Jesse Lingard opens up on “emotional” England snub
- Not playing Jadon Sancho is a bizarre decision from Gareth Southgate