Some Manchester United supporters were delighted with the performance of Bruno Fernandes during the club’s 3-0 win over Watford in the Premier League on Sunday.
The Portuguese had made an impressive beginning to his United career and against the Hornets, he was the standout performer with a goal and an assist to his name.
United struggled to find the breakthrough for vast parts of the opening half but Fernandes managed to change their fortunes by winning a penalty from which he scored his debut goal for the club.
In the second half, he was involved in the lead-up to Martial’s sublime goal prior to the hour mark before assisting Greenwood, who reminded fans of Robin van Persie as he blasted the ball into the top-left corner.
As a result, he was adjudged as the man of the match by United fans for the third Premier League game running and some of the club’s faithful have taken to Twitter to praise his display.
Can’t believe how well Bruno Fernandes has adapted. Come in and made a difference straight away. Smooth operator.
— Liam Canning (@LiamPaulCanning) February 23, 2020
If we’d have paid up for Bruno in the summer imagine how differently some of those games against the non top 6 would have gone. We could be 10+ points better off.
— United Religion (@Unitedology) February 23, 2020
I can't believe we went from Jesse Lingard and Andreas Pereira to Bruno Fernandes. The upgrade in quality is insane. He's running the show at Old Trafford, what a signing. ?
— Red Devil Bible (@RedDevilBible) February 23, 2020
Thoughts on Today's game.
– Anthony Martial, absolutely filthy.
– Bruno Fernandes is a delight.
– Luke Shaw was superb.
– Fred needs a rest.
– The Ighalo goal will come very soon.
— That United Guy (@the_united_guy) February 23, 2020
A massive win for United today!
Bruno Fernandes already looking like 1 of our most important players and Martials finish today is absolutely world class.#MUFC
— Terry (@TelSaunders7) February 23, 2020
Bruno Fernandes is absolutely brilliant. We have our new hero
— Paul Shez (@PaulShez123) February 23, 2020
During the first half of the season, United lacked a creative presence from the number 10 role as the likes of Andreas Pereira, Juan Mata and Jesse Lingard failed to impress consistently.
Fernandes, 25, does not possess a high passing success rate (70% vs Watford) but he has shown the desire to make runs into the box with one of those contributing to the penalty won against the Hornets.
Still, United are lacking a solid back-up option behind the Portuguese footballer and hopefully, the board can address the concern during this summer’s transfer window.
Injured star Paul Pogba obviously possesses the versatility to play in the position when required but the Frenchman’s future with the club remains doubtful beyond the summer.
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat
- Manchester United fans sympathise with David de Gea after Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pleased for Manchester United duo despite Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are yet to see best of Marcus Rashford
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Marcus Rashford’s availability for Leicester City clash
- Manchester United to be without four first-team regulars for Leicester City clash