Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed that Alex Telles will miss the first three matches of the Premier League season due to injury.
The defender is out until September, meaning he will miss the games against Leeds United, Southampton and Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Solskjaer had initially been more optimistic about the Brazilian’s injury, saying he would be “out for a few weeks.”
The Norwegian boss told the club’s official website: “Unfortunately, it’s worse news on Alex Telles than we hoped for.
“His ankle injury is a little bit more severe than we hoped, and he’ll be out for a little spell at least – the whole of August, I would think.”
Manchester United will host Leeds in their season opener before visiting Southampton and Wolves in their next two matches.
They are set to lock horns with Brentford on Wednesday for a pre-season friendly after their 4-2 loss against Queens Park Rangers.
Telles is a highly talented player who made 23 appearances across all competitions for United last season.
The Red Devils’ current number one choice left-back is Luke Shaw.
Solskjaer may have wanted to give him some rest as he played a key part for United last season and also made six appearances for England at the European Championships.
However, with Telles ruled out, that won’t be possible.
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash