Apparently I am North Korea…

… well, blame the Sun for that.

I was contacted by the Sun a couple of days ago in some sweep stake thing, and they have drawn me to represent North Korea. I’ll support N Korea so that you don’t have to. Here’s the video:

Incidentally, our friends at RoM have been handed Brazil. He did an interview with me today, so check it out here.

Of course, I’m excited about the world cup. And I will hope to enjoy this month to the fullest.

June 16, 2010 at 8:09 pm

@tonymontanna4united: 😆 😆 😆 😆 you go man! Say it as it is!

June 16, 2010 at 8:11 pm

@colver: To be fair mate – is anybody bothered about playing for Man Shitty Colver?

June 16, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Robinho was very badly treated by Mancini.He came as a substitute and was again substituted in a single match.How can you expect that player to be loyal.Mancini is a very bad fellow.Ireland was their player of the season last season but this season,he got only 5 starts i think.
    The thing is you treat Robinho as your main player and in return he will give his 100%.And no one can deny that this guy has even more natural talent than Ronaldo.

June 16, 2010 at 8:39 pm

@CraigMc: I would like to think so mate, sadly i think all we have is our yearly £25m budget and anything we make from player sales goes to the glazers.
    Its a shame because to me there are 4/5 players that need the boot which fortunately still have a good resale value. Under normal circumstances we could sell them and use the money to bring in a good few replacements of class.
    £15m approx has been brought in from tosic and ben boy. Now lets try to kick out carrick who i think has been useless for over a year now for £12m or so and we are building up a decent amount.
    Then i would have to say i think its time berba was shown the door. I might be in the minority but im a fan of berbas. The man is an artist, i just feel his style isnt appreciated and thats what brings along alot of negative remarks.
    Just because he doesnt run around like a nutter i think people class him as being a lazy bugger, uninterested etc. I dont think its that, its just not his style.
    Ruud who goes down as one of my favourite players was a simple goal hanger, people loved him. I know it all comes down to goals though but did he really do so bad. Think that he wasnt given alot of time due to fergusons negative 4-5-1 and his seemingly lack of faith im not surprised he didnt score much.
    But compare his stats to cantona, bergkamp and players of his ilk they are not that different. I personally feel all berbatov suffers from is a lack of confidence which i think is understandable at times, and the fact players like him are not suited for todays game.
    Anyway sorry im turning this into a berbatov rant but anyway back to my original point i love the guy but i think his chances are limited and if reports are to be believed we could maybe get in £15m+ for him.
    Add that to what we got and thats some decent money. Certainly £45m approx would be enough to go out and get a creative midfielder we need, a striker and a defender to replace vidic.
    Would be nice however as i said i think its all dreaming on our part mate. I think weve been given our money, the £25m budget we mostly spent on smalling and hernandez and thats our lot. Any money from sales will go to the glazers as well as the vidic money we receieve.
    So sadly all this talk of robinho, vdv, benzema etc just seems like a pipe dream. But who knows, maybe the glazers will give us a bit of money to try and allay the fans fears.
    😆 Yeah as if, since when did they care about our concerns.

June 16, 2010 at 9:29 pm

@tonymontanna4united: I think Berbatov suffers from not fitting into the style of football we play at OT. He has had much more opportunity than so many others at OT, but he just doesn’t gel mate. Well not in my opinion anyway.

June 16, 2010 at 9:35 pm

@tonymontanna4united: I still do not understand with people saying “Fergie’s negative tactics” we were the second top goalscorers in the premier league ahead of the attacking Arsenal. We scored an average of 2.38 goals a game, hardly negative.
    Also We were the joint leading goalscorers in the Champions league scored more than Barca and 4 more than the real negative manager in the World Mourinho’s Inter, who won.
    So many people moan that we are now an “Italian” side well for me are not as fluid as we once were as we simply don’t have the players now but we still counter attack.
    Berba has not got the heart and pace to play for United, fuck the fact it is Fergie fault, that is bollox mate he has been given plenty of chances and missed many sitters especially a the latter stage of the season and that is soley his fault. He has had the chance at United and the club simply is too big for him.

June 16, 2010 at 9:36 pm

If we can get £20mil for Berbatov, and are DEFINITELY bringing Benzema in then I’d be fine with him leaving. And I like him!

The proposed Vidic to Real for £25mil & Benzema and then that £25mil being spent on Chiellini thing I reported yesterday has been backed up a little with the following quote from Chiellini’s agent.

“With Giorgio, we’ve decided that during the World Cup we won’t think about the transfer market. But after the World Cup, we will think about everything. He is honoured to be of interest to United.”

Honoured to be on interest to United. He’ll do just fine by me with that attitude.

June 16, 2010 at 10:36 pm

@Stephen: To me mate, i think more times than not we played negative. 4-5-1, to me is not the manchester utd way, its not the way we used to play football.
    Now i admit the stats you showed do not show us as being slow, defensive and negative however from what i watched of us i would not have called us a fluid, attacking team but thats just my opinion.
    In my opinion, i do not think we suit a 4-5-1 system. I think a 4-5-1 suits a team with a genuine goal scoring player in your middle 3, however as we do not have 1, i see us as playing the 3 in the middle to simply clog up the midfield and play our wingers simply to get the ball into rooney, who does the rest.
    To me anyway in this 4-5-1 system we do not have enough goal scorers, apart from rooney. Maybe in europe it may be the only way to play football, as i think the 4-4-2 is rather dated.
    However when i said we played “negative tactics” in relation to the 4-5-1, in the premier league there is no question alot of the times we decided to play that we had a very negative approach.
    Take the villa game at OT when we lost 1-0. They came and played 4-4-2 and in my opinion more than deserved the points. We decided to go 4-5-1 and looked disjointed, out of ideas and extremely negative.
    Other examples against liverpool at anfield we lost 1-0, chelsea at stamford bridge which again we lost 1-0.
    Im sure there are many others. however i think us going with the 4-5-1 in alot of those games cost us, as more often than not we were very negative.
    Especially in the months before nanis revival, when we would go with giggs on the wing. Now im sorry but if your midfield 3 are all pretty much the same, ie they win the ball, pass it around but provide no attacking threat, then you expect some top class attacking play from your wingers.
    Giggs is a legend but his days on the wings are over and he should not be played there. Fair enough maybe after xmas when we played nani there we did a job but before xmas especially when we played 4-5-1 we played extremely negative stuff. To the point i was literally bored to death.

So do i think the 4-5-1 system works, yes i think it does. Do i find us negative when we play it? I would say yes. Without a lampard/gerrard player in that midfield 3 i simply think you do not have enough goal scorers and with us the main duty of our midfield 3 is to do the defensive part of the game. This is why when more times than not i saw us play 4-5-1 i did not think we played very good football, and more times than not we were defensive and boring.
    Im sorry for the long post and i respect your opinion but to me this 4-5-1 we have become so used to seeing is just so so boring and negative. The stats can say we did well, but i dont think you can use stats to give you the full picture. I am under the opinion we are a much better team to watch if we play 2 strikers. Without a top quality AM in the 3 man midfield to compensate for a lack of goals i think our 4-5-1 is negative.
    But thats just me mate, i think the days of 4-4-2 are probably over, but i think other formations could be used that makes us play more attacking. Although saying 4-4-2 days are over, bayern did well and they played that formation the whole way through the tournament. So who knows.

June 16, 2010 at 11:26 pm

@colver: My feelings exactly about Barcelona mate. But today Spain actually reminded me of Manchester United playing an EPL minnow at Old Trafford. 65% possession but no clue how on how to move a parked bus. No ideas or lock picker to figure out how to destabilize a cohesive defensive unit. Shocking really because Spain has everything United doesn’t in order to get that job done. They have the creative midfielders who are able to find ways to break down a team. Xavi, Iniesta are fully of finesse and faggy football techniques which should have done the job. But here’s the thing, the team as a whole were not all reading from the same page. They just weren’t in sink and in many cases, their first touch eluded them. I call it choking myself. And this is nothing new for Spain at the World Cup. Classic choke artists.

Spain will have to get their shit together and quick. Many expect them to come out and destroy Honduras but the Hondurans may take a page from the North Koreans and the Swiss and show them that they will have to earn it. Still, they should win their next two games because they do have the easiest group by far (yet another case of fixing by FIFA to ensure they advance). FIFA loves Spain and they will make it their mission now to make sure they go through. Look for the yellow cards and red cards to be flowing in the next two games against their opponents and for a penalty or two to be called on a questionable foul. I may sound paranoid but I have seen FIFA and UEFA pander to this country’s demands and to the demands of their two top clubs for too long. Nothing would make me happier than to see Spain knocked out at the group stage of the WC, except maybe the total collapse of Spanish football and their teams. 😈 😈 😀 😀

June 16, 2010 at 11:32 pm

@Owen: And the first time he is sat down or gets the hair dryer from Fergie, the following day we will find out he flew back to Brazil fro rest and recuperation. He’s a head case mate. A talented head case who is not a complete player because he thinks and acts like a part timer. I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole despite his obvious talent. There is more to football and to being a professional than talent. Robinho is wanting in a lot of areas.

June 17, 2010 at 1:24 am

@Grognard: Just to add some facts to the myth that United struggle at home to PL minnows, I post the following results from last season.
    Teams are listed by final placing.

10. Blackburn (2-0)
    11. Stoke (4-0)
    12. Fulham (3-0)
    13. Sunderland (2-2)
    14. Bolton (2-0)
    15. Wolves (3-0)
    16. Wigan (5-0)
    17. West Ham (3-0)
    18. Burnley (3-0)
    19. Hull (4-0)
    20. Portmouth (5-0)

😯 😯 😯

Wow, those minnows really gave us a run for our money!! 😀 😀 😀

June 17, 2010 at 1:36 am

RSA will go out in the group stages!! Good, perhaps that fucking noise will be somewhat muted!!
    I just cannot imagine why they make that noise or try to make that noise.

BURN THE VUVUZELA!! 👿 👿 👿

June 17, 2010 at 1:49 am

Grognard, yeah failing to break down minnows while dominating possession is a very Manchester United thing to do.

The difference is at least we generally develop some urgency in the last ten minutes. Spain on the other hand just kept doing their faggy passing at a snail’s pace rather than actually try injecting some directness and pace into their play.

Unfortunately I think Spain will scrape through the group stages and then get better with every game. On paper they are still one of the best teams in the competition.

Switzerland have the discipline to defend as a team, but Chile certainly don’t-too many flair players and too attack minded. So I think Spain will get more chances against Chile and with strikers like Torres and Villa they will put them away.

But it would be interesting if Spain faced Brazil in the next round. If Spain still haven’t hit top form by then they could well get dumped out.

June 17, 2010 at 2:07 am

@colver: Why “unfortunately”? Their team has some of the best players in the tournament for cripes sakes!

Chile and Switzerland moving on will make it too easy for the rest of that bracket. I want to see the big, juicy match-up’s in the knock-out stages. 🙂

June 17, 2010 at 2:54 am

Anybody else putting their money on United opening at home to Blackpool.
    A true PL fairy tale, can’t wait to see if it comes true!!

June 17, 2010 at 5:26 am

I find it amazing, especially during these WC proceedings, that a country like India doesn’t have a competitive Footy team.
    An entire sub-continent with a population 4 times the size of the next worse absconder (USA), you would think they could find 11 of them to kick a ball in a generally good direction. 🙂

June 17, 2010 at 7:20 am

@Redrich: What about all the other games over the last few years. You just added the ones where we scored goals in. Also, you and I both know mate that they have played minnows in the past and have frustrated the hell out of us trying to figure out an opening. They eventually do late in games but still, the point is that a team without a quality movement off the ball cannot break down the stingiest of defences even with Xavi and Iniesta around. Germanby has a great midfield but it’s not better than Spain’s. Yet they had their way with Australia not because of Australia being a useless opponent, but because their movement off the ball created openings which the midfielders could then exploit. I have bitched for a couple of years now about how United’s lack of movement in games where they go up against teams that park the bus. Why you are challenging me on this I don’t know because you have watched the same games I have. The examples you gave are less than half of the total number of games against minnows over the last two years. And although I mentioned games at OT, these games have also occurred on the road. A;so, games where they only scored 2 goals isn’t exactly making your case for you mate. 🙂

June 17, 2010 at 7:22 am

@Redrich: I loved how the noise just died when Forlan scored the penalty. I loved it. It was like God took their vuvuzela’s a stuck it up their asses all at once. 😆 😆 😆

June 17, 2010 at 7:26 am

@colver: Spain is arrogant like Barcelona. No matter what the situation is, they seem to always play the same tactics and formations and never alternate or show their opponents any respect. They got what they so richly deserve. Sad thing is they will probably wake up from their slumber and go on and win the whole thing. I sure hope not. I just hate them with a passion. And it’s not jealousy despite what others might think. Like the Italians, they just rub me the wrong way but for entirely different reasons. La Liga has a lot to do with it though as i carry a great deal of animosity towards Real Madrid and Barcelona for what they are doing to the European game with their money and greed and their arrogance.

June 17, 2010 at 7:33 am

@Redrich: I agree India is not so good in Football and it is same for China who has even more population than us.But we are well ahead in some other major fields.At present,we are the main providers of talents like IT Professinals,Doctors for US,UK.

June 17, 2010 at 7:55 am

@Grognard: Spain is Barcelona without Messi. So whoever says Messi plays great because of Xavi and Iniesta will need to think twice from now on.

June 17, 2010 at 8:15 am

@Grognard: Wait. I thought you admire Real for their arrogance and free spending. 😕

June 17, 2010 at 9:36 am

new post up. It’s the fixtures. Discuss over there.

June 17, 2010 at 2:36 pm

@tonymontanna4united: I totally understand where you are coming from mate, but when we played 4-4-2 in Europe when we had Keane, Scholes or Butt in the centre we were totally over run in midfield., when we went more with more in midield of late we have been to two Champions league finals.
    I agree though mate we realy don’t have the personnel to play the system particularly well, we don’t have a centre mid who can chip in with 15 plus goals a season, and a big tall striker with pace but Rooney has adapted to tht roll well, like Eto’o did for Barca.
    We need a system and stick to it, Fergie rotates the team far too much and the system. I am a big fan of your first eleven and sticking with it, with the odd tweak along the way depending on fitness ect.
    But Fergie has now got obsessed with have a large squad, but little quality which to me is not right.

June 17, 2010 at 3:44 pm

@Stephen: I would agree with that mate. I dont think united and 4-5-1 goes together. It just looks wrong.
    But i agree the stats prove otherwise. Since we played the 4-5-1 in europe (in about 2001 after we lost to leverkusen i would say), we have been in 2 finals winning one. Thats not a bad record is it.
    I just think that in england there is too much emphasis on formations, usually only on a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1. Surely there are other formations we could use apart from that?
    I personally thought we would have done well using a 4-2-3-1 system, a bit similar to the germans. I still think with a bit of tweaking here and there it would work.
    It would all come down to the 2 men in midfield though, but lets just say hargreaves came back, and i know its asking alot, i think it would work very well.
    Something along the lines of this:

VDS
    RAFAEL RIO VIDIC EVRA
    FLETCHER HARGREAVES
    VALENCIA ??? NANI
    ROONEY

Now i think that system would work alot better than packing the midfield 3 with ball winners an giving it to the wingers who put it in for rooney. Lets be a bit more entertaining. Put an ozil in behind rooney (i know it will never happen) and i think that team is looking quality.
    Certainly i think it would work better than the 4-5-1 anyway is what im saying mate. Your thoughts?

June 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm

@tonymontanna4united: Totally agree mate, we need for me a another holder as I have little faith in Hargo’s fitness. We both agree we need midfield player who can score goals and for me a natural left footer to provide balance, but like you style mate.

June 17, 2010 at 4:11 pm

@Stephen: Ideally i would love to add a holding midfielder mate, someone like a flamini, diarra, yaya toure would be a great aquisition, and it would further allow the front 4 to do their thing up the top of the pitch.
    For me i think someone like ozil is a must. Im not just basing it on his one off game against the aussies, but ive seen him a few times on ESPN for werder and he just strikes me as class.
    Exactly what we need mate, he can also play on the wings so i think he would be a quality acquisition.
    People are going on about getting a striker but i think we have more pressing issues in the midfield and possibly at the back if vida leaves.
    In an ideal world i would bring in ozil for £20m, go bring in flamini who im a big fan of and think would be available for quite cheap for say £10m. Then depending on what happens with vidic i would go and get a defender and if possible a goalkeeper.
    All we’ll probably end up with though is joe cole 🙂 Good player dont get me wrong but not a player that gets me off my seat. This club has to ask themselves is joe cole the best they can do.
    If it is its a massive decline and is very worrying.

June 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm

@tonymontanna4united: If mi man Nani and Valencia can do what Ronnie and Tevez did in working with Rooney, then we could work 5-3-3. Nani and Valencia have to focus on scoring more goals this season. I have more confidence in Nani (sorry Owen) than Valencia because they both scored goals but Nani scored his in half the games Valencia was given to play. Imagine IF Fergie had worked with Nani and played him all season as he did Valencia. It will only work though IF these two up their scoring game to full on 😆 .

June 17, 2010 at 4:27 pm

@CraigMc: Mate i know your nanis biggest fan 🙂 i love the guy too, and im really expecting him to have a great season this year.
    I honestly expect him to take some of the burden off rooneys shoulders, he is going to take the premiership by storm and i really believe that.
    I absolutely love the guy, im not going to challenge your hold for number 1 nani fan but really one of the greatest feelings from last season was seeing nani tear arsenal apart (i was there) and go on to prove to the doubters he had what it takes to be a star here.
    Valencia on the other hand, hmm im not sure. When i heard we were signing him i was a bit unplease.

June 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm

@tonymontanna4united: Midfield is an area we need to really work on, Ozil, Hamzik, Flamini, Hazard, Arteta, Drenethe and Van der Vaart would be all really decent pieces of business.
    On the right we have lots of cover, but on the left we have Nani out of position and an aging Giggs, not ideal.

June 17, 2010 at 4:33 pm

@tonymontanna4united: Valencia last season was was one of our best players bro, he works hard and puts in a good ball similar to Kanchelskis.

June 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm

@CraigMc: Sorry pressed comment before i finished writing 😡 Meant to say i was a bit disappointed when i heard we were signing valencia.
    A good player no doubt but whilst i wanted a genuine world beater all we got i felt was a decent one.
    I admit though he surprised me though and didnt do half bad. Up to march say i thought he did well, didnt do much towards the end though but ill give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Do i think he can chip in with more goals though? Well im undecided.
    On the one hand 7 odd goals he got isnt bad but im not totally sure he will improve on it. He is a very old school winger, runs on the byline and puts balls into the box.
    Thats his main job, although i would like to see him come infield more often. I think nani will raise his game, will valencia though, well see.
    I just think we desperately need an ozil, diego, vdv to play behind rooney to provide the extra 10/15 goals a season and our team wouldnt be half bad. Certainly an improvement anyway.

June 17, 2010 at 4:38 pm

@Stephen: Yeah sorry pressed comment before i finished up writing my full view of him.
    I think hes a good player, before we signed him i wasnt impressed but looking at him now i think hes been a good buy.
    I think his ball delivery is top class, i just want to see him come inwards more often and take the shot on more often because he has a cannon of a right foot.
    Not much of a left foot though, although maybe he’ll work on that.
    Its a good shout comparing him to kanchelskis, im a bit young to really remember watching him but what ive seen and what my dad told me of him he was a top player and very under rated.
    I just want him to add goals to his game. If he did that he would be one of the best wingers around right now because his delivery is top top class as is nanis on the other wing.

June 17, 2010 at 4:43 pm

@tonymontanna4united: We have two really decent right sided players, Park also does his thing but we lack quality on the left for me Nani suffers when he stuck out there but with Valencia and him in decent form he trys to play the both of them when really it should be one or the other.

June 17, 2010 at 5:01 pm

@Stephen: I think its obvious nani is better and more comfortable on the right but he actually surprised me as to how good he looked on the left in the last few months of the season.
    I personally would prefer him on the right side but he convinced me he could do a top job on the left so tbh i wouldnt fix something thats not broke.
    Valencia did a good job overall on the right and as i said i think nani in the last few months on the left looked very comfortable.
    Just off the top of my head he got about 3 assists against bolton all from the left side, got his 2nd goal against bayern from the left, and that great through ball to rooney from the left.
    Also before xmas he must have got 3/4 assists alone against cska moscow and wolfsburg which owen did well to finish off.
    So i would leave him be, as i mentioned to craig i really think he is set to have a great season next year.

June 17, 2010 at 5:03 pm

@Stephen: We should try Valencia at Right back.I am very impressed with his defensive abilities.He is much better than Rafael.Nani should start at right wing and we should try to get Silva for left wing.Valencia and Nani will combine greatly on the right side with Nani moving inside and Valencia running at the wings to create a lot of spaces.

June 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm

@Stephen: Im really not a fan of park on the wing tbh. I think his game is based too much on work rate rather then genuine skill and tbh thats not the type of winger i have grown up watching and love.
    He has his uses, i think he does a good job against say a messi or ronaldo and would mark them out of the game, but to me i would much prefer to see him in the middle. He just contribute enough to be classified as a winger, very few assists and even fewer goals.
    I do think our options on the wing outside of valencia and nani are rather poor though and i wouldnt mind a joe cole coming on as well as an ozil to add backup.

June 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm

@Owen: That is a good pont mate, Valencia would be a superb right back, maybe a bit of a wate but he would be excellent.

June 17, 2010 at 5:12 pm

@tonymontanna4united: I so hope you are right Tony, and Nani does go on improving mightily. I always knew he had the ability, but the confidence comes when things you try begin to work out for you, and when the Manager gives you the freedom to try things. So I hope he goes on to prove to all those doubters that he does have talent. It is onething having talent though, and another thing entirely being able to consistently express that talent in a way that furthers the team cause. Glad you enjoyed the Arsenal game, Rooney and Nani were top draw that day – totally silenced the Arsenal terraces 😀 .

June 17, 2010 at 5:12 pm

@Stephen: I am surprised why he is not used by Fergie at Right Back.Valencia is a much much better defender than Alves who is considered as the 2nd best right back in the world.And he is not even better at attack also than Valencia.What he does better is that he creates space for Messi.

June 17, 2010 at 5:13 pm

@Red Ranter: No, I admire the new York Yankees for their free spending and desire to win but I do not admire any team that shows arrogance by pounding their chests and then sticking their wallets out. I admit my hatred for Madrid is somewhat subdued right now because they have Ronaldo and Mourinho but I do despise everything about that club and how they bully the rest of the footballing world into getting their own way.

I’m sure clubs in England have always felt that way about Manchester United and I suppose to a point it’s true but the way Madrid borrows money and just throws it around like paper really cheapens the sport and disgusts me. Just because you can afford to have it doesn’t always mean you should have and that you should force your intent on others. I never liked them from day one but I have to say the whole Ronaldo mess and the way they bullied us for two seasons as well as how the tapped up the player and manipulated the media to do their bidding was disgraceful and unethical. And they got away with it. Above all, I find it insulting that they feel a right to own every great player on the planet as if it’s their god given right. I especially hate how they destroy great players by buying them and then not playing them because they let clowns like Raul rule an old boys club that either accepts you or denies you a chance to be a starter on the club. The managers have very little input in player selection and tactics. The only thing I like about them is that the fans have more of a say in what goes on with their club as opposed to United who’s fans are feeling more and more disenfranchised.

June 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm

@Owen: Its not a bad idea tbh. I have also seen valencia play more centrally on the right in a 3 man midfield before, more as a CM for ecuador. Has anyone else seen him play there. It might be worth trying out to see if valencia can play in the CM area we need, although i guess playing him there takes out some of the good things about his game. Mainly his ability to hug the touchline and put it top quality crosses.
    I like the idea of him being played at RB, however i do also have high hopes for rafael. Not sure if im in the minority there as i have heard alot of fans not convinved by him, but i personally think hes got a very bright future at the club.

June 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm

@tonymontanna4united: Park for me is a good squad player he “does a job” but no more.
    Ozil is a good player mate and would be a superb signing, Fegie rarely dips into the German market, oddly and can’t see it happening on this occaison but lets hope, but after a good World Cup he would not be cheap and that is the sector of the market we are focusing on currently.
    I also forgot about Obertan, he should be sent on loan to Newcastle to get Premiership experience, it will either make or break him, I fear the latter but playing for Rangers is a waste of time in that league.

June 17, 2010 at 5:17 pm

@Owen: Would be an intersting project, he could be superb there, lets wait and see if we try it.

June 17, 2010 at 5:21 pm

@CraigMc: That game in my opinion was the best game of attacking sexy football i have seen us play in ages. Best thing was i was there in the arsenal end with about 30 other united fans.
    Just went absolutely fu**in crazy when nani tore them apart. Man the look on the arsenal fans faces, absolutely priceless.
    Was definitely the best united game i have been to, even though sadly i can tell you theres not been alot i have attended.

June 17, 2010 at 5:26 pm

@Stephen: Here’s my take on the rotation and tactics Fergie uses. I don’t like them but he is right to use them the way he does. United no longer have a starting eleven that puts the fear of god into the best teams in Europe. Perhaps the minnows steal fear us a bit but our club has lost a lot of it’s mojo and aura of late. He knows that the EPL season, the two domestic cup runs and the Champions League is a long haul and that many games can break down players and make them lose form due to fatigue and injuries.

Fergie is correct in his rotation because he needs to prevent problems by resting players accordingly. His rotation is what got us as high in the standings and as far into the Champions League as we did with such an aging and pedestrian side last season. Without his deft touch in rotating players, I am sure we would have run out of juice 2/3 of the way through the schedule. His one big mistake however is playing Rooney nearly every game which led to his injury and his running on empty at the end of the season and into this World Cup. He rests everyone else accordingly but he overused and wore out his franchise player. Why? Well, he really never had a choice with Owen injured, Berba playing like crap and nobody else worthy of starting a game up front.

As far as his tactics go, they aren’t pretty but he is correct 80% of the time as the modern game demands that even the best of teams change their setup and tactics from game to game. We don’t have a lineup like Barcelona where we can arrogantly go out there every game and dictate the terms by playing our one and only attacking style and expect to win. In Spain there is little competition for Barcelona compared to the much more formidable EPL. There are no freebies from week to week in England. Whether a team comes out and attacks us, plays physical against us or parks the bus against us, we need to adjust week by week on how to face each team. I think after 30 years of being a top fight manager, Fergie knows what the Hell he is doing with his team.

I was not a big fan of the boring slow back pass possession football we played for the most part of the last two seasons but it works for this club until the personnel changes enough to alter it. I don’t like it but I accept it. What I don’t accept is the BS that is happening off the field and our inability to attract and buy big stars to improve the club. I don’t want us to be Real Madrid, I just want us to be Man Utd before the Glazer’s showed up. Not too much to ask.

June 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm

@tonymontanna4united: Rafael has good speed but the problem is he is not strong enough.He has to always commit foul to stop good wingers which have resulted in some major losses for us.But Valencia is very very strong and no one can beat him physically unless you are Vidic.

June 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm

@Stephen: He does a job mate, against the bigger teams but my heart really drops when i see him starting against some minnow at home. His workrate is commendable but against a minnow it is not needed, and for me in too many games he started when he shouldnt. Thats just my opinion though.
    As for ozil, i really think he would be a bloody down right excellent signing. As i said im not getting on the bandwagon, i have watched him atleast a dozen times on espn for werder. He just screams class and i think he would slot perfectly into the team.
    Especially in the 4-2-3-1 formation i mentioned earlier just in behind rooney. Another added bonus is he can play on the left wing so can add competition there.
    However i dont think we’ll get him. For 1 hes out of our price range and secondly ferguson doesnt seem to like german players.
    I dont see why though, they have produced some truely excellent players over the years. I see it as too much of a coincidence that in fergusons 20+ years in charge he has not once bought a german.
    So i give the ozil transfer a 0 rating for chance of it coming to fruition. Who knows though maybe he will be impressed enough to buy him somehow.
    And yeah about obertan, i actually dont think hes that bad a player. He has quick feet and a good run on him, he just needs to work on the rest of his game. Dont get me wrong, he needs alot of work and right now should not be anywhere near the first 11, but a good loan to a prem club would do him good. Forget rangers though, their league is an absolute joke as you said.

June 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm

@Stephen: Our chances of getting Ozil mate are ZERO. Chelsea, City and other teams in Europe are looking seriously at him and they don’t have holes in their pockets like we do.

June 17, 2010 at 5:34 pm

@Owen: Yes mate 100% i would agree with that. Right now at this minute rafael is not great, but he is a work in progress and i think long term he will be top quality.
    I wouldnt mind valencia at RB though for the time being. It was a very good mention to put him there, had never really thought about it but it makes sense.
    I would prefer him at RB anyway over neville for example. Big neville fan back in his prime but his day has past. Was not especially impressed with his games at the end of the season and felt he shouldnt have been offered a new contract. Come on fergie put vally in at RB.