Manchester United Players

As the dust settles…

It’s been slightly over a month now since our dismantling at the hands of Barcelona. Yet, the pain has been eased (or blotted out depending on your preferred perspective) somewhat by our activity in the transfer market thus far. While most of our major rivals have yet to make a big money signing (Chelsea did get Villas Boas for a pretty penny), we’ve gone ahead and clinched the signatures of Jones, Young and De Gea.

Despite De Gea being the only one who really filled a need, fans have just as much to be excited about over the signings of the 2 Englishmen.

Phil Jones

I for one cannot wait to see Jones out on the field in the red jersey. How we’ve longed for some toughness in our squad when for so long now, Vidic has been our primary and some may argue, only source of that. Soft in the middle has been a mantra that opposition fans have taunted us with over the past couple of seasons. Unfortunately, that has been true more often than not since Hargreaves was down and out for the count. Jones might be the player who changes all that.

Will he be the second coming of Keano? One can only hope.

Will he be able to emulate Hargo in the way he protected our back four and snuffed out the attack headed toward our goal? Maybe in time. I hope that we give him a go from early on in midfield just to get him more game time and better acclimated to the rigors of the league and the expectation that comes with putting on the famous red strip.

Ashley Young

Young doesn’t need much of an introduction since we’ve seen him time and time again for Villa. He’s demonstrated his ability to not shy away from the big stage with some huge performances for England recently. Considering the claim that most English players retreat into a shell when they play for the 3 lions, we can be encouraged that Young has not shirked away when cast into the spotlight. That will do us a world of good when we’re up against our major rivals domestically and in Europe and need a spark of inspiration from somewhere.

A New Playmaker?

As with most United fans, the one signing we’re all still waiting for is the eventual successor to Paul Scholes. Despite Cleverley’s claim to want to fill that position for United, he might not be quite ready. Then again, it’s hard to see any player really ever be like Scholes. From the get go, a fairer expectation would be to ask for a player who can come in and excel creatively behind our forwards while not being afraid to get stuck in and defend deep when needed. It does appear (at time of writing) that Nasri is on his way to City. It still befuddles me that Wenger would be so adamant about not selling him to us, and yet, be willing to let him go to City. Does that mean that Wenger does not consider City as an equal to Arsenal? Based on the transfer fee that’s being thrown around, it appears to be a figure or valuation that we are more than willing to meet. If the deal for Nasri to the other half of Manchester goes through, we will have to move on quickly as the other top clubs start to narrow down and place concrete bids for the players on their shopping list. And we know from the past couple of seasons how unwilling United is to get into a bidding war.

If it all falls apart and we end up starting next season with only the 3 new signings, will that be enough? We addressed the Van Der Sar replacement issue and got the man we wanted. But if we don’t get our replacement for Scholes, can we have a successful season playing Rooney in that role? Or perhaps attempt to somehow integrate someone like Nani or Young into that position and hope they do the job? Maybe Cleverley comes out and surprises everyone with his play? Perhaps we could just promote from within and allow Ravel Morrison to have a breakout season?

The new season can’t come soon enough…

July 1, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Craig: I am being held hostage and tortured against my will. 😉 😉 😀
    But seriously though, I am still the same guy and I will have my days when I am going to unload on some. The fact is we are going through major changes and improvements on this blog and as we have a new administrator and new writers and members, I think it’s important to promote the growth by welcoming everyone and making them feel at home before Grognard’s axe falls on those who do not see the wisdom of my ways. 😉

Truthfully, getting banned for 24 hours woke me up towards being a more tolerant person. Sure I still will write with great passion and controversy but I will no longer lash out and show the kind of anger I did in the past. At least I hope I don’t. Also, I would hate to think that my negative rants will always disappear because people will feel the compulsion to click on the dislike button. I will be sincere with my views just not as brash and as cutting as in the past. Basically, I need to behave myself a bit more. Those weren’t orders from Ian, they were realizations from myself to become a slightly gentler and kinder Grognard.

July 1, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Stretford Dave: I’d like to welcome you aboard personally mate. It’s nice to have somebody else on this blog that goes back as far as RedRich and myself. I too am an old time fan of United and go back to the early to mid 70’s, and I could relate to your earlier comments about how tough times were before we got into the Ferguson era. Still, the club has morphed into something so much bigger than the club Sir Matt Busby made famous. Today we are a worldwide brand and arguably the most famous and popular club in the world. That requires the club to maintain and hold lofty ambitions and even delusions of grandeur as it is now no longer enough to win either the EPL or FA Cup or both. Europe is what matters and for me doing the very best to ensure ultimate glory in Europe should be the driving goal of this club.

United should not easily settle for second and pay too much praise to Barcelona and just accept that we are second best. Instead we should be moving heaven and earth to rebuild elements of our team to better prepare us for Barcelona next time around. Therefore, I think it’s vital the club break from their past tradition of making stars and not buying them by actually buying a few big names for central midfield. We are in a position where we cannot be patient and the time is always now. So for me Fergie has to show serious intent in central midfield or this summer’s bonanza in the transfer market has been nothing but a waste of time and money. If I see another year of United’s midfield giving away the center of the park in 3 out of every 4 games, I will explode. United fans are spoilt by success but they also pay dearly for it and deserve it……all the time, don’t you think?

3. Jay wire

July 1, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Something interesting about the type of English players United seem attracted to. Perhaps, and this is a most unlikely thing, we could solve the England national team. Think of it. What’s the common denominator for most of our England players? Technical ability. That’s the exact thing totally void in the England teams.

I think the key issue is intelligence and that’s what you get from Paul Scholes. Players that understand the dynamics of football on the pitch. They know the macro(big) and micro(small) dynamics involved. Where to be, what to do and why. We seem to go out of our way sometimes to get an English player with these qualities.

Rio Ferdinand.

The English version of my favorite defender of all time, Alessandro Nesta. Exceptional reading of the game, superb tackle and interception rate, excellent on the ball, economical in possession, skillful and ice cold composure. I’d have included Wayne Rooney,but he stops at intelligence. His technical ability is his weak point, but you can see his reading of the game, movement is of a different school, from the likes of Bent, Emille Heskey or Peter Crouch.

Michael Carrick.

Quite frankly the best passer of the ball in the league(in my and OPTA’s opinion) but for me what stands out is his professor-like reading of the game, defensively and offensively. Neat and tidy, he has played as the regista eg Andrea Pirlo(06)or Xabi Alonso(at Liverpool), as a defensive screen eg Sergio Busquets,Cambiasso,Emerson etc from 2009 to around January this year,then a more attack minded CMF(Yaya Toure-like) since, particularly against Chelsea, in tandem with Giggs. He excelled in all those roles, according to their requirements. Only a player with high technical appreciation of the game can do that. Technical standard held in high regard by tech-supremos like Xavi and Alonso.

Owen Hargreaves.

Now if there’s any regret I have about this team, then Hargreaves is it. I would have paid £50m plus Wayne Rooney just to get him. What a wonderful loss. A lot was said of his energetic approach, to compare him to great but technically inferior players like Roy Keane. Excellent reading of the game. His interceptions were of a higher standard than Rio,Carrick or Busquets. His versatility was deceptive because he mastered all the roles given, unlike the jack called O’Shea. RB,RWB, DMF,holding mid, RM,RAM(see 08 quarter against Roma).

Michael Owen.

Well not as successful here, but the point is he is a striker with exceptional reading of the game, intelligent movement and technical ability is showcased in his Mr Smith type of precision finishing and great ball control.

Chris Smalling.

I had zero idea who or what this kid was but I have to say, I have never been more excited about a defender as I am now. Read Rio Ferdinand then add minus back problems.

Phil Jones.

Now I haven’t seen much of him to make a thorough assessment but from the 2 games I saw, he really stood out for one thing. Right place, right time, right action. And all I’ve heard of him is his excellent reading of the game. And usually a player who can master a CB and DMF role is of a highly technical school.

Ashley Young.

Received a mediocre reception, but I believe he will be instrumental to our cause for many seasons. Speedy yes, but the real issue, is his link up play. He almost always finds the most advantageous option and that takes great reading of the game. His pass rate is excellent and so are his deliveries from set pieces.

These are players who could easily solve England’s problems. Yet they seem to be the least favored. The omission, misuse and disregard of Paul Scholes should be regarded as the greatest English blunder of our times. Sheringham was so often overlooked, though I can understand with players like Owen ahead of him. Michael Carrick is a player even Alonso demanded in the English team because of his continental and more up to date approach. Hargreaves was another great England fail and they rarely ever considered him. I can imagine an all United midfield of Hargreaves(DMF), Carrick(regista) and Scholes(trequartista). Unbreakable.

If England can successfully cut out the influence of their moronic and uneducated media and base their England team on United, like Spain did with Barca, then they could make progress. But in all our captures of these very rare English players, we missed the biggest price. Jack Wilshere. A hybrid of Xavi and Iniesta, future superstar in the making.

This England team imo is a really formidable force if given ample time to develop.

GK- I DON’T CARE
    RB- Baines/Johnson
    RCB- Rio Ferdinand
    LCB- Chris Smalling
    LB- Ashley Cole

DMF- Michael Carrick
    RCM- Jack Wilshere
    LCM- Frank Lampard

AM- Ashley Young/ Adam Johnson
    SS- Wayne Rooney
    CF- Danny Welbeck

4. Moscow is my heaven

July 2, 2011 at 12:00 am

Errr Grog, I think your fantasy about us signing Fabregas is going to take a turn for the worse with the latest arrival in the race to sign him:

Oh the humiliation this could bring on Barcelona will bring a smile to my face. 🙂

5. RedDevilEddy

July 2, 2011 at 12:25 am

@Tonymontana

Your assesment in Anderson is nothing but well written, and I agree with major portions of it. I still have faith in the lad, and we’ll see what happens. I can’t say anymore than that, and hopefully everything will turn our for the better of this club! Hey, that’s what we all want!

6. RedDevilEddy

July 2, 2011 at 12:49 am

So 15 people think Anderson can do well , and 5 people want to get rid… Hmm, really didn’t expect that! Must be a lot of closet-Anderson fans on this site which I’ve never heard of, hahah 😆 😆 Come out , come out, wherever you are. Eddy won’t bite, or at least not violate you like that cunt down in London does!

July 2, 2011 at 12:50 am

Moscow: What a coup that would be for Madrid and Mourinho and to be honest, I hope it happens. Like I have said many times before, as long as Ronaldo and Mourinho are at Madrid, my hate for them is greatly subdued. Why? I like those two a lot and totally despise Barcelona. Stealing Fabregas who Barca doesn’t even need would improve them greatly and stick it to the Catalan Homo Boys real good. Doubt it will happen though.

July 2, 2011 at 12:53 am

Anderson sucks farts out of hotel bed sheets. I hate the pratt and cannot wait for the day he gets a ride to the airport and a one way ticket to wherever.

9. RedDevilEddy

July 2, 2011 at 1:00 am

@Grog

One way ticket to Vancouver mate, then he can become your best friend! :mrgreen:

10. Harry Carrick

July 2, 2011 at 1:35 am

RedDevilEddy: Anderson is a good player, we’ve seen that his high energy play can overcome any opposition’s midfield.

Why anyone would advocate just getting rid of Anderson is beyond me. He’s not been consistent, but consistency is the final piece of the puzzle and whilst he’s never a safe bet, he’s shown what he can do against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

So when we’ve just lost an extremely creative midfielder such as Paul Scholes, why would we want to go and throw away a player who could come into his own and help deal with the loss? A player who seems to have the ability to compete at the highest level, but is yet to prove himself?

No, for me it makes no sense. This season should see him mature and improve, just watch.

11. Tevez

July 2, 2011 at 3:06 am

Grognard – the majority of teams playing a 4-2-3-1 drop into two banks of four when defending. There are exceptions ofcourse but most teams have their wide players drop in to help out – tuck in to help the central midifelders, protect their fullback, double up on opposition wingers, on top of a basic job of tracking the opposition fullback. For Inter, the likes of Eto’o and Pandev played, in a defensive sense, a very typical wide midfielder’s role against Barcelona. They were willing workers and operated well on the counter attack. The benefit of being natural strikers was seen in how they attacked the box when Inter managed to build an attack, as well as how they looked to run in behind the defence when Barcelona were caught high up the park. The likes of Nani and Valencia interpret the role differently but the Inter players still maintained width in attack leading up to the box. For me, the differences are not enough to be seen as separate positions in separate formations. The only team I saw last season who operated with, as you describe, wide attacking midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 were Borrusia Dortmund, with the likes of Mario Goetze tucked in from a wide position to link with the central attacking midfielder. Villareal also play with attacking midfielders like this, in a nominal wide position but who actually play infield to find space between the lines, in a 4-4-2/ 4-2-2-2. These are players I would say play a different role to our wide players but not Inter’s nor the majority of teams across europe.

As for Rooney, although he does occasionally look to run onto the back four and drifts wide(more than sneijder, who drifts as far as the inside left channel) he still looks to operate first and foremost from a position in the hole. His constant moving around happens when he cannot find space in that area. Against a team with a pair of central midfielders themselves he will have no direct marker but both will screen their own back four in order to deny Rooney space and an angle to receive the ball. Often United do not circulate the ball quickly enough and the team struggles to drag opposing midfield players out of position for Rooney to take advantage of. Against a team with a midfield three, with one deep holding midfielder it becomes even more difficult to find space in front of the defense because there is a direct marker in this area. In this situation, Rooney’s willingness to drift around and make runs is beneficial because otherwise he will never be in a free position. Sneijder struggled greatly in the World Cup final as he could not get free of Busquets and so found no space in the hole. Players need to find ways round this and for those who are naturally forwards, like Rooney, Luis Suarez and Sergio Aguero, they can play higher up the pitch, drift wide, run channels, etc. Sneijder ofcourse finds ways to counter this closing up of space aswell, mostly by dropping deeper into the central midfield area. All players who operate in the attacking mid./ deep-lying forward position want to find space in the hole, but it won’t happen every game. Sneijder may be seen as more disciplined but he’s also stubborn to the point where at times he cannot get involved in games. When faced with obstacles each looks to counter in their own way using their own qualities, but I don’t see it as them playing in separate positions. Ashley Young played in the same position for Villa last season and drifted from side to side far more than Rooney. Not surprising with him being a natural winger but still, not another position just another interpretation of that position.

July 2, 2011 at 3:53 am

To Rimmerstweets.
    What is it that Johnsom has done or said that could warrant a ban?

You seem to have your finger on the trigger for any decedent of your new regime.
    The way things are usually settled around here is in some form of debate. Want to talk it over??

I’m still not sure why we cant reply directly to one another? Is this another form of censorship or an addition to the “Comments Policy”. If you are to take the reins at Redrants you should make your self clear.

Feel free to ban me any time. 🙄 🙁

13. [OPTI] Madschester United

July 2, 2011 at 5:19 am

@Redrich, @Rimmerstweets:

How Johnsom is blocked is beyond me and suddenly there is an influx of new commenters …. hmmmm,…. I guess, we are being replaced with Rimmer-approved commenters…

The quality of redrants.com is not the article but the community… ignore us and the site will fall. 😕

NB! I always welcome new members, just don’t like it when regulars get booted for no good reason…

July 2, 2011 at 5:24 am

Everyone calm down. I for one have contacted Johnsom and am trying to figure out just what went wrong. It’s between him and Ian and let those two work it out. As for me, yes I reacted angrily to Ian’s new regime but like in the real world of football, sometimes change or a takeover does not always go as smooth as possible. Ian has admitted some mistakes to me and I certainly did not act maturely or fair with him.

As for his problems with Johnsom, lets just say the two blokes are trying to iron those things out and as long as everyone remains calm and objective, these little bumps in the change over will be a distant memory.

Red, mate, you and I have always been able to be honest with each other. I fully understand how you feel but I honestly feel you need to holster the gun and give the new guy a chance to not only make this blog better but to make his presence more popular. I already have discussed with him many of the things you have brought up and he is aware of how we all feel and what he can do to calm things down. But in fairness to him, he needs people to accept the changes and to give him a chance and then I think you will see a bloke who reacts less defensively than he has.

I believe I really was the instigator in getting him all upset with every negative comment and in some way I almost created a riot. That is why I am trying to be the peace maker now. I have spoken with the lad and he is a good stand up guy, believe me. He only has the best of intentions for the blog, and until he shows us that his intentions were false, I for one am giving him the benefit of the doubt because I do not want to disband this group of ours which I feel very close to. And neither do you or Johnsom or anybody else who has been angered by all this. So all I am asking for is calmness and patience and for all those who exhibit those traits, you will be rewarded in the end, I believe that. Cheers.

July 2, 2011 at 5:30 am

Madschester: New members is what this blog needs mate. Nobody is being replaced and I for one have seen nothing or read nothing offensive or threatening from any of the new guys. Ian comes from Soccerlens and both he and Ahmed know a lot of United fans and I am sure they suggested to many to give Red Rants a try. Read nothing else into that. I know that I have been told of my value and importance and how he values the input and the presence of all of us, that is one of the major reasons I willingly put my fists down and changed my tune. Give the lad a chance mate. Patience and tolerance will get us all farther at the end of the day. This blog would die and sad death if all the regulars who are the lifeblood of the place all overreacted and left. Instead, we need to retool and reload and help make this place better than ever rather than slowly watch the blog become the Tombstone of United blogs, which is where it was heading mates, whether you want to believe that or not.

July 2, 2011 at 5:37 am

Tevez: Seriously mate, change the name. 🙂 Anyway, some great points regarding the differences in formation or the differences within the same formations. I agree with a lot of that but I would also say that quite often formations are dictated to by the discipline of the palyers within the system.

You brought up Rooney and his need to move around in order to find space that lack of discipline and staying in his channels is what causes problems for his strike partner and what makes things difficult for his wingers to cut in and to get support. I have always maintained that finding a partner to play with Rooney is a problem because of Rooney and no weakness of his partner. Yes we still have success but trust me, under more rigid managers like Mourinho, Rooney would actually learn to be a better player who uses up less energy and is more and more found in the right place at the right time.

17. James_WrittenOffside

July 2, 2011 at 7:35 am

Finally we have hit July and pre-season training can begin in earnest. Will be interesting to see the make up of the squad that goes on tour to the US. It looks like the U21 tournament players will join the tour a little later than others and there are rumours that Ravel Morrison may be included in the travelling squad but may have issues with getting a visa.

Lots of talk about Nasri and Sneijder but have a feeling that what we really need is a defensive enforcer rather than an attacking midfielder. I am sure Sir Alex has it all worked out and will bring in someone that he sees as adding quality to an already sound squad. M’Vila from Rennes has been mentioned and he would be perfect but he has said he would prefer to stay in France ahead of Euro 2012.

I am new to this site but I know Ian and he has a lot of passion for continuing the success of Red Rants and making improvements where necessary. I run my own blog but may pop up with the odd post now and again on here if Ian allows me!

July 2, 2011 at 10:02 am

Jay, Baines is so right footed it is unreal. Welbeck simply isn’t good enough and showed that in the Under 21’s. Carrol will be the future England centre forward for years to come which is a double edged sord. Yes he will score goals but his size will be a problem for Englands progress as we will always be tempted to hit the ball long.

July 2, 2011 at 10:17 am

Jay can you explain “Teddy Sheringham was one such player. Comparisons with Dennis Bergkamp were often made and his intelligent link up play, very Berbatov-like,was as un-English as they come. Had a Berbatov-like breakout season after the treble and subsequently fell out of favor and was disposed soon after. But that’s another story.”

In 2001 – 2001 season which was two seasons after the treble, he scored 21 goals, but was 36 at the time, that is why he was let go, oh and we bought a certain Ruud van Nistelrooy.

July 2, 2011 at 10:31 am

On holiday so only just got to log on. Glad to see the emoticons are back. But does anyone else think the Like/Dislike feature is just stupid? This is a rant site. If we disagree with someone’s opinions we say so and offer rebuttals. If we agree with them we commend them. It is crystal clear from the replies whether a post is liked or disliked.

July 2, 2011 at 10:38 am

I agree with the like/dislike feature, it is stupid.

July 2, 2011 at 10:38 am

Pain is still raw for me. Barcelona outclassed us, plain and simple. They made mincemeat of a midfield of Carrick and Giggs. It would have been the same story which ever midfield duo we selected. That for me is this side’s weak point and it is a horrible weak point to have because in the really big games they are won and lost in the centre of the pitch.

While I do not share Jay Wire’s admiration for Carrick. I do agree with him that it is a very difficult area of the pitch to strengthen as teams understandably want to hang on to their best central midfielders.

In the interests of mixing things up we need to give opportunities to players like Cleverley, Pogba, convert Jones into a defensive midfielder and see if they emerge as top players.

Any midfield containing Carrick and A.N.OTHER is destined to lose to Barcelona’s current squad. Carrick is a nice Premiership player but against top continental opposition he is too lead footed, too stand offish and crumbles under pressure.

July 2, 2011 at 10:53 am

Colver, Carrck paired with anyone would struggle against the Barcalona midfield. In truth they are the best around and also our two against their three is a mismatch regardless.

July 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

There is absolutely no need for this like/dislike button.It will just create hatred,nothing else.We are not commenting here to get liked or disliked by others.

Hope,i will not get banned for this… 😕

25. Craig Mc

July 2, 2011 at 11:41 am

Let me try and understand this – has Johnsom been banned? Also where is Phoenix? Like I said to Grognard – everyone with a personality is banned or seemingly threatened with a ban. I don’t know what has happened to you Grog, but calming down your temper as you say, has got nothing to do with you becoming a placid YES person. I have had enough of this – I am OFF guys – I have a personality and I believe in free speech for everyone. BYE GUYS – I have loved every minute of knowing you these last years, but enough is enough!

July 2, 2011 at 11:44 am

Criag, that is a little dramatic, I don’t think Johnsom has not been banned bro.

July 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

Stephen ,the worst thing is we can’t express ourselves now it seems.RedRants which i loved was not as such…

The tone of Grognard seems to change into that of A Pussy Cat fearing he may again get banned.

This is just not fair..

Btw,They are reporting that Nasri has refused the Arsenel’s offer and it is sure he will move on.

July 2, 2011 at 11:54 am

Truthfully I wil continue as I always have, if he bans me then so be it.
    I cannot see Le Arse selling both Nasri and Fabregas this summer, it is a game of brinkmanship which Nasri wil win and be fiancially better of for it.

29. Moscow is my heaven

July 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Having emoticons and a reply button is a bit like playing Nani and Valencia in the same XI these days. Can’t they please just happily co-exist?

ie. WE WANT OUR DAMN REPLY BUTTON

30. Rimmerstweets

July 2, 2011 at 12:49 pm

@RedRich @Madschester + Everyone else really.

I understand your passion for the blog and I’m excited that I’ve been given the task of improving the content and the community when it’s brimming with so much enthusiasm.

It might seem like I’m trying to rule with an iron fist and eradicate any member who doesn’t agree with me but this isn’t the case. However, most members will agree that there have been problems and disputes down the years and also more recently where things have got out of hand.

Now, like it or not, the site is undergoing change and just for the time being the rules of the game are being applied a little sterner than maybe they ever have been before but that is not the long term plan.

The plan is to give you all a far better environment to have your discussions and hopefully there will be zero need for any moderation.

Madschester I need to clarify one thing with you………the Content is King. I’m not daring you or anyone else to leave but believe me, if you decided to leave the community Madschester I am sure that there would not be a mass mutiny and RedRants would continue to change and continue its efforts to grow and improve. Basically there are 40 million+ MUFC fans around the world, that makes you approx 0.0000024999999999999998% of that population/target audience. Ask yourself if I will lose any sleep over that percentage? You’ll only be hurting yourself if you decide to make a point and leave unnecessarily.

All I’m asking is that for a short while you resist the temptation to rebel against the system because the system is experimenting.

Johnsom has used Twitter, Facebook and RedRants to display his disgust in both me and the changes but he was NOT banned. I contacted him privately and gave him a polite warning that I required his attitude to alter slightly or RISK being banned. He chose to air his disgust here so I then banned him temporarily while I and Grognard deal with him.

I am not asking anyone to dumb down their comments or change so @Owen, if you’ve gone for good fine but you’ve jumped before you’ve given it a chance. RedRants wants you to debate and discuss in the very same manner you always have done, it just wants to structure the site better.

Yes there are new faces and yes that’s great for me and the site but it is also great for you and YOUR blog. I’m not from Soccerlens I merely wrote an article for them. These new faces are here because new content has been written and been promoted.

@RedRich I’m glad you mention the Comments Policy.

“Try to keep the discussion on topic”

This does not happen on RedRants and therefore each and every commenter has at some point broke the ‘rules’ of the policy so please bear that in mind for the future. And ‘the way things were usually done around here’ is exactly what’s changing. Yes changes will be debated, and yes there will be discussions but don’t expect to think that the user who shouts the loudest is king…..the content is king.

I’ve noticed that quite a few people don’t like the ‘Like/Dislike’ option. So, I’ll try to put a poll on the site shortly and we’ll take a vote on it and keep/remove accordingly.

The reply option – I’m sorry guys but whilst I was experimenting the reply option was changed and then lost. When I reactivate it, boxes around all the comments appeared and you didn’t like that so it’s gone. I’m trying to find a solution to that so please bear with me.

I thank you for reading this and I hope it answers a few questions and gives you an insight into why and how we’re going about things from now on. Hopefully soon I can leave you all in peace and concentrate on my own writing.

When we’re all talking football/MUFC this is a fascinating forum/blog so let’s do that and forget about it.

Johnsom, I hope, will return soon.

Thanks

Ian.

[insert big heart smiley here because I know you all love me really] :mrgreen:

31. Moscow is my heaven

July 2, 2011 at 1:02 pm

The Content ™, is not King. When RedRanter left, the only thing keeping this site going was the community of regulars who kept commenting, with the articles reduced to ‘going through the motions’ statistics and bland description.

Eddie Griffin’s incredible progress as the author of this site prompted us to acknowledge his hard work and effort. Nothing else. We can choose whether or not to comment in the same wavelength of the article as we please. This is a good thing as it gives increased motivation and an extra incentive to the author to make their articles so damn good that we do comment ‘on topic’.

July 2, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Content is King? Surley the community is King? The content certainly is important but the people who debate are the lifeblood of the site?

33. Rimmerstweets

July 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm

The Content is King….

No content = No Comment box

No @Moscow @Owen @Craig Mc = 37,999,997 others

That seems harsh, heartless, ruthless etc etc but it isn’t meant to be. You are all important but to me the content, from now on, is King.

34. Phoenix Red

July 2, 2011 at 1:15 pm

@ Craig: Hows it going Bro? Not banned, yet??!!?? But Johnsom, whats the story with him? I take it he’s banned and comments deleted?? 🙄 🙄 🙄 Like/Dislike is fucking pediatric, thats my opinion! Would love to see the reply button back too 👿

July 2, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Very understanding… 🙄

36. Rimmerstweets

July 2, 2011 at 1:21 pm

@Phoenix

If you read comment 79 you will know what’s happening with Johnsom.

July 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm

It does seem like Chelsea have joined the Nasri chase, I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing. If they sign the Frenchman would they then loose interst in Modric who for us is more suitable?

38. Phoenix Red

July 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm

@ Rimmerstweets: What you’re really saying is the Journalist is King, the contributors i.e. the Writers are King. As a journo, i’m sure you want your work acknowledged, but is that what RedRants is about now? Because as Moscow, RedRich, Stephen, Craig, Owen and others already mentioned this site has been kept alive by us “The Community”, now you arrive out of the Blue and start telling us its your Way or the Highway. “The Content” I take it you mean your content, because it seems to me and others you have little time for our concerns or content!! Oh and as for the Comments Policy, it was precisely the fact that the “Try to keep the discussion on topic” rule was relaxed to a certain extent was part and parcel of the machinations of this site. Or do i mean charm? It does say try??????

39. Phoenix Red

July 2, 2011 at 2:15 pm

@ Stephen: We will have to see which upgrade to our midfield that’ll arrive, my suspicions are that Sneijder is on his way here, and that we’ll get a defensive mid too. If that fails then It could be either Modric or Nasri? There’s new management at Inter so this could hasten the departure of Wesley, hopefully to us!! We still need an enforcer though, bigtime!

July 2, 2011 at 2:19 pm

De Rossi and Sneijder would my dream summer, but would settle for Diarra and Nasri! I will probably end up with Carrick and Anderson though! 😆

41. Phoenix Red

July 2, 2011 at 2:21 pm

@ Stephen: 😆 😆 😆 😥 😥 😥 😆 😆 😆

42. RedDevilEddy

July 2, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Rimmerstweets, some days ago I asked whether you would mind adding me on Facebook or something like that so I would get to know you better. I’m sure you are a decent chap, but from the majority’s standing you look like a real tit. And not those of the hot bird at the bar, more like her grandmas.

43. Jonny

July 2, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Guys, i’m not the biggest proponent of “Content is King” (the community is what kept this site going when quite frankly i thought it would have died) but the content IS important. Ian is right when he says no content = no blog

@Rimmers, I understand your #ofunitedfans statistic, but what i think people are trying to say is that the community that has been built here is not any old united website that needs content to move forward. (you can go back to all of the 1000+ comment threads, almost exclusively rants about Manchester United for proof)

we’re not going to ignore the new content that gets put up, and indeed i’m sure that great content is going to lead to greater interaction and an even greater community.

there may be 40million+ united fans, but there surely aren’t more than 500 blogs out there that cover MUFC exclusively and there probably aren’t more than 20 MUFC blogs out there that have a community as big (in comment count at least 😉 ) and as active as this one is.

bottom line Ian, is that if content was king, you could have started a new blog from scratch and made it just the way you like it, yet you came to us; clearly the community had some role in influencing that decision.

we’re not against new content, in fact we’re all excited for new content. we’re not going to ignore the content above the comments section either, but every comment is probably not going to be specifically about the article at hand, as is per usual for any decent conversation/rant; eventually tangents happen. to say “Content is King” in such a black and white manner seems to disregard how important the community is to this blog, as well as the content that the community provides to complement the content that the writers will provide.

in summary, I understand its going to be a bumpy few months of experimentation, and we’re along for the ride with you, because this is our blog, and we are invested in it’s success. I’m excited to see that this blog will have direction, and I appreciate the willingness you have demonstrated so far to include us redranters in having a voice into what that direction is.

I’d like to help you out if I can in any way, you have my e-mail address, just send me an e-mail and I’ll get back to you.

44. Phoenix Red

July 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm

@ Grognard: you might want to check your blog Mate! Left a message for you there! Chat later,P

45. Onkar

July 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm

@Phoenix Red… Same here….

July 2, 2011 at 3:54 pm

@ Rimmerstweets : “No @Moscow @Owen @Craig Mc = 37,999,997 others”

I don’t know whether you have knowledge that this site has a proud history and was chosen as ONE OF THE TOP TEN MAN UTD BLOG by Telegraph i think.

It must be remembered that we around 20 were the part of that golden history,not the other 37,999,997 you are continuously mentioning.

The day we lost to Barca,we 20 were crying irrespective of our time zones.37,999,997 were where, i can’t say but i can assure you they were not here.

37,999,997 have not put any thing to bring the positives of Carrick and Glazers but it was Jay Wire who researched so much bring the facts.

When ever we wanted to financial things,we have contacted Omkar but 37,999,997 were no where to explain.

It is AndyCr7 who has realized us what Berbatov adds to the team,not the other 37,999,997.

When Grog’s mother died,we 20 were sad ,not the other 37,999,997.

When RedRanter went missing,we searched whether every thing is well with him or not.

Believe me,we have always treated the past owners and writers as our family members and will do for you too.

But don’t do such warnings to us.

There are 1 million football players in whole world but you know Fergie cares about the 100 associated with us.

47. Phoenix Red

July 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

@ Owen: Well said Sir, i applaud that!

48. Jonny

July 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm

So… its preseason month!!

I’m pissed that I’m not going to be in Vancouver when MUFC comes to Seattle (an hour or so drive away, and totally worth it)

we have people from all over here, are United coming to any of ya’lls hometown areas?

I just want the first preseason game to come already…

49. Onkar

July 2, 2011 at 4:09 pm

@ Owen.. Great post bro.. Absolutely spot on 100%. See there is always a thing that people generally those who have reached a comfort (in this case we all regulars and old timers) would always oppose the change. But in this case we are tying to show enough maturity but then the problem started when the new moderator / owner of this blog started bossing his changes rather than consulting / discussing those with all of us who have invested so much time in this place even when NO ONE and actually NO ONE of these so called moderator was even looking at this .
    Anyway point is I am not against changes that may happen here for good or for bad but, the way those changes are conveyed to us and the tone that is used so disrespectful that it actually hurts…
    I mean such is the irony of the place is a person who wants to keep is check the personalities of this blog has already shown his own nasty personality… Funny enough but still as I said I will just wait for a while and see what happens to this place in near future but then I just have a feeling that like Man United we might have our very own Glazier seating just around a corner..
    But again Have to reiterate that you were absolutely spot on…
    I am just starting to have a sneaky feeling that if this personality check (moral policing)of this place continues we might turn into those typical pussy styled, red tinted united blog with no honesty and no character.. Definitely not my type..
    But then does this new moderator care as number will be 37,999,996 others, not a material difference….

50. Onkar

July 2, 2011 at 4:10 pm

@Phoenix Red you might want o have a look at the place you recommended bro.. Just have a look in there…