As per Spanish media outlet SPORT, FC Barcelona are interested in making a permanent move for Manchester United U23s star Arnau Puigmal.
Barcelona are trying to strengthen their youth side with some high-profile signings. They see Puigmal as ‘the most outstanding player’ under Spain’s U23s.
The 19-year-old midfielder joined Manchester United in 2017. United needed to surmount severe competition from Barcelona to attain Puigmal’s services from Espanol.
Since joining the Mancunian club, the Spaniard has played 53 matches for United’s young age groups. He once made it to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s senior squad last campaign when the team visited Astana (Europa League) with a relatively juvenile squad.
As an unused substitute, Puigmal had to see his side losing 2-1 to Astana from the bench.
An admirer of Paul Pogba, Puigmal said:
“I think, in the next five years, it would be a dream if I can become a professional player in the Manchester United first team. That is my aim and obviously, it would be a wish come true.
“I knew that United is the biggest club in England — and has been big for the last 100 years or more! I know of Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs — there are too many players to name. Now I like Paul Pogba — I’m not that like him but we are midfielders and he is very good.”
Puigmal has made only five appearances this season so far, scoring six goals and grabbing two assists in the process. His contract expires next summer. [source: Transfermarkt]
United were reportedly interested in loaning him out during the summer to help him get more playing time. Unless they can get him a move or ensure that he gets the playing time to develop and force his way into the Manchester United starting XI, he may start looking for a move away from Old Trafford. And they don’t come much bigger than Barcelona.
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Carabao Cup Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Michael Owen blasts Jesse Lingard’s post-goal reaction versus West Ham
- David Moyes explains why West Ham United did not pursue Jesse Lingard
- West Ham United vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Paul Scholes questions Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s subs against Young Boys
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at possible selection against West Ham United
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer unhappy with the referee’s decision to send off Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer delivers verdict on Man United’s dismal Champions League start