Jadon Sancho was United’s top target this summer but since Hans Joachim Watzke, CEO of the German club has come out and confirmed that the 20-year old will be staying with them for atleast one more season, the Reds have started looking for alternatives.
According to ESPN, Manchester United have already held informal talks with Ousmane Dembele over a move to the Old Trafford. The 23-year-old has immense potential and can play on either wing as well as a central striker. He would fit well under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s agenda of turning United into title contenders next season.
The World Cup winner has struggled to make an impact since his move to Spain from Germany with injuries hampering his progress.
Spanish media outlet, Sport have reported that Barcelona are willing to let Dembele leave on a loan provided a mandatory purchase option is included in the deal – worth around £90 million. The newspaper adds that folks at Old Trafford look at this deal as a very risky investment due to the Frenchman’s history with injuries.
Dembele has been named in the Bundesliga Team of the Season and also the Rookie of the Year previously. His tremendous run with Dortmund lasted just one season before he was signed by Barcelona in 2017 in a deal worth £135 million.
Dembele is devastated by injuries during his time at Catalonia, missing a total of 80 games in three years. However, his best season so far came in 2018/19 where he scored 14 goals in 42 total games and helped Barcelona lift the league title.
Lionel Messi lavished praise on the winger earlier this year, he said:
“On the pitch (Dembele) is a phenomenon and it depends on him (how good he becomes). He has all the opportunity in the world to do what he wants. He can be one of the best.”
The Catalan giants have named their price and seem to be firm on it, the ball is in United’s court to make the opening bid.
- David Moyes explains why West Ham United did not pursue Jesse Lingard
- West Ham United vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Paul Scholes questions Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s subs against Young Boys
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at possible selection against West Ham United
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer unhappy with the referee’s decision to send off Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer delivers verdict on Man United’s dismal Champions League start
- David De Gea revelling in new offensive role at Manchester United
- Cristiano Ronaldo eyeing a Champions League record with Manchester United
- Edinson Cavani sidelined, but Solskjaer expects him to return soon
- Young Boys vs Manchester United: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups