It was a disappointing night for Manchester United fans as Liverpool defeated the Red Devils 4-2 at Old Trafford on Thursday.
However, Bruno Fernandes earned a moment to cherish as his goal against the Reds broke Frank Lampard’s record which has stood for more than a decade.
In the 2009/10 season, Lampard secured the record for most goals (27) scored by a Premier League midfielder in a single campaign across all competitions.
His standout performances helped Chelsea to win the Premier League and the FA Cup that term.
Fernandes’s strike against Liverpool was his 28th of the season and this tally can increase even further with United still having three games to play.
There are those who argue that the Portuguese international’s record is solely due to his spot-kick exploits.
But in reality, he has scored one less penalty than the Chelsea iconic midfielder did that season (10).
Fernandes was crowned as the winner of the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year award for 2019/20 and he is expected to retain that title this year as well.
However, the race for the Premier League Player of the Year award is as fierce as it has ever been.
Kevin De Bruyne, Ruben Dias, Mohamed Salah, Harry Kane, Phil Foden and a few more are fighting for this coveted honour.
But none of these players has had the same effect on their squad as Bruno Fernandes.
He has 29 goal involvements (18 goals, 11 assists) in the league this term, only behind Harry Kane’s tally of 34 (21 goals, 13 assists).
Kane has been the lone shining star for Tottenham Hotspur as they struggle in the 7th spot, 8 points behind the desired fourth position.
On the other hand, the Portuguese midfielder has helped his team to almost but secure a second spot finish in the league.
This speaks volumes about his influence over his side’s success and the 26-year old deserves to win the Player of the Year this season.
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Carabao Cup Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Michael Owen blasts Jesse Lingard’s post-goal reaction versus West Ham