Manchester United Players

Charlie Adam to Liverpool

Why should we care about this? Is there something to be read between the lines with this impending transfer?

The Public Valuation

Adam has been a player that Sir Alex has spoken highly of in the past. The manager isn’t one to just throw out empty compliments. So, he must have seen enough in Adam in his displays against us last season to rate him as a more than capable midfielder and distributor of the ball. He went so far as to make the claim that Adam’s corners alone were worth £10m.

Considering our spending thus far this offseason, the transfer fee that Liverpool appear to be paying for Adam appears to be significantly less than what we’ve spent on any of our 3 signings thus far. A lack of funds was clearly not the issue here.

What might this mean?

So how do we make sense of Sir Alex not even registering a blip of (public) interest in Adam thus far leaving Liverpool with a clear and unobstructed path to sign the soon to be former Blackpool player?

Perhaps I’m merely grasping at straws here, but this transfer gives me some hope that the manager feels fairly confident that he can land either Sneijder or Nasri before the new season starts. He must have either received some very positive feedback from Inter and/or Nasri’s agent to believe that he could forego the chance to land Adam for a relatively cheap price and devote his energy and considerably larger chunk of his transfer budget to sign one of his main transfer targets. Perhaps Nasri’s agent has intimated that the Frenchman will throw a tantrum and demand a transfer to United. Perhaps Inter, who have publicly acknowledged their need to sell before they can buy, have already named a price for United to start the bidding at.

There’s no concrete evidence at this point obviously and this is all mere speculation. Whatever it is, I have a feeling we’ll find out within the next couple of days. Hopefully…

PS – I wonder if Liverpool realize that their midfield is pretty deep as it is. Where does Adam fit in?

Shaun

1. Night life

7 July 2011 at 15:03

Im sure if SAF was that keen on him he would have come after all it is common knowledge that he and his family ARE united fans. 😛

2. Onkar

7 July 2011 at 15:51

See I dont want to Criticize anyone here and please Shaun you dont take any offense as well. I know the place is coming to normal and people are getting over there initial reactions including me but then there is one thing that I would like to point out and I think many will agree.. There was one peculiar nature of this place and that was there werent used to be so many article in such short time.. I mean what it did was it allowed us the contributors to actually get into discussion and talk about the things.. But then so many articles is hampering that flow.. I mean the Barca topic was great and before that could actually picked up we entered the new one then again new one and then again new.. Let the commentator have there say Ian Bro.. I mean when you say Content is King I agree to Certain extent but then allow people to actually express themselves on those contents and not over run them with so many pieces a day.. I mean twice a week or even thrice a week is fine in my books but beyond that it just become too much I feel…

3. Onkar

7 July 2011 at 15:53

Keep this place more analytical rather than news reporting as for that we have other places to surf.. I want people to analyse and talk about things rather than just read and move on.. Not my style and wasnt of this blog previously for that matter…

4. Onkar

7 July 2011 at 15:54

@Night life.. May be being a United Fan ruled him out… There are so many before him.. The latest one was Adler.. To say the least….

5. Lars

7 July 2011 at 15:57

@Onkar
    Totally agree. If “Content is King” then why are we being bombarded with random articles (“This Shirt Reminds me of…” and LIVERPOOL transfers…LIVERPOOL ffs). The recent revolution on this site has take the blog down the gutter. DISCUSSION and the PEOPLE are King, Content is, like Liverpool, never 1st

6. Onkar

7 July 2011 at 16:01

@ Lars: Yeah when in the first place we talk about the Content I feel there it should be written as an analysts rather than just as reporter… There is huge difference in it… I feel….

7. Jonny

7 July 2011 at 16:17

Shaun,

you may be right, i think your grasping at straws with this one.

generally you write good articles, but this ones smells more of writing for the sake of writing instead of actually having something to write about. (i.e. this would be much more appropriate as a comment than a separate post)

I don’t think we need to be encouraged/discouraged by the charlie adams signing. if we seriously wanted him, at any point, he would have been here. the wages would have been better, the glory would have been greater, its more an indication of his lack of top-notch talent than anything else.

of course, it takes more than just talent to succeed at United, just ask Anderson 😛

8. Rimmerstweets

7 July 2011 at 16:26

@Lars @Onkar

I do understand where you guys are coming from but if you don’t want to read about the transfer of Charlie Adam then stick to the original Barca post and comment on that. Don’t waste your time complaining it’s all about choices and variety.

This article’s only on here due to the fact that we have been quite heavily linked with him over the summer, hence the words used and its content and it’s ultimate final question.

My aim is not to bombard the blog with post after post, however, the shirts post (No 1 in the series) will eventually be assigned to its own page and there will be other articles with a view to doing similar. Once these are done you will see a decline in posts and it won’t be overkill.

Thanks for the comments and the fair and polite way in which you both aired your views. They have been noted and they will be taken into account for the future of RedRants.

Ian.

9. Onkar

7 July 2011 at 16:46

Thanks Ian.. You took it in right manner… 🙂

10. Shaun

7 July 2011 at 17:00

@Onkar @Jonny

I appreciate the feedback guys. Am still getting a feel for what would resonate best with the folks on this site. With that said, am definitely taking notes on the stuff you guys have said. Thanks!

11. Rimmerstweets

7 July 2011 at 17:07

12. Rimmerstweets

7 July 2011 at 17:38

@Onkar

Just to add to that, so you get a feel for why I’m trying to say ‘keep to topic’ and why there will be more posts (but not too many).

The shirt post has only approx 10 comments and that’s fine, it hasn’t captured the minds, a more popular shirt most definitely would, but that’s another story.

Anyway, within those 10 comments there’s talk about:

1. The shirt
    2. John O’Sheas transfer
    3. Samir Nasri’s transfer

That I’m afraid can’t continue. @Moscow has just used the next available comments box to break the news about O’Shea and that’s cool, brilliant in fact. But, no one know’s it’s there because it’s hidden within a shirts article that few want to read. In the months and years previous it hasn’t mattered because a new article wouldn’t appear for a week and the comments would run into the high 100’s. So there’s two extra topics of conversation in there just dying a death just because they are where they are.

It’s going to be a tricky job getting the balance right but I’m hoping to keep this format that has served you regulars so well during the site’s obvious neglect but at the same time create areas where other topics and content can be published and discussed by regulars and new visitors.

A new visitor will not trawl through dozens of comments that date back days or weeks, only you regulars will do that. I know some might not care about new visitors and prefer the site to continue on like it has been, but I do. New visitors can, and will, be converted into regulars. More regulars is good for everyone, most importantly RedRants’ continued availability.

It will take time and we will get there, I just hope you and many others like you can be patient and interact with me to make it happen, in much the same way you did above.

Do you get where I’m coming from?

13. Lars

7 July 2011 at 17:45

To stay on topic: I’ve never felt Charlie Adams was United quality, so I don’t mind that Liverpool added to their CM with this player…Will they play a 4-5-1 with Henderson, Gerrard, Adams in the CM position and with Suarez on one of the wings and Carroll up front?

14. Jonny

7 July 2011 at 17:51

Lars your use of the double negative is killing me

Shaun, do you think Charlie Adams is United Quality?

15. Lars

7 July 2011 at 18:01

There I fixed it..whoopsies! 😛

16. Moscow is my heaven

7 July 2011 at 18:02

Jonny my son, I think Lars WOULD mind if Liverpool signed a quality midfielder at United`s expense 🙂

Rimmers, I thought I broke the Nasri news? Who the fuck is John O`Shea? 😛

7 July 2011 at 18:42

@Rimmerstweet:

Anyway, within those 10 comments there’s talk about:
    1. The shirt
    2. John O’Sheas transfer
    3. Samir Nasri’s transfer

That I’m afraid can’t continue

If you desire a site where people stay on-topic, then at least make the site easy to navigate. Going back and forth between post X and Y is a pain in the gluteus maximus just for a comment here or there.

I don’t understand what you (and Bilal?) have against the organic discussion that was going on before the Rimmer-revolution? Honestly, the recent posts have been short and with little to no value… I have already stopped reading them and go straight to the comments… if not for Traverse’s rumor-mill and the occasional “breaking news” comment or inside scoop on youth players, this site would go down the drain quickly…

18. godzilla

7 July 2011 at 19:12

@rimmerstweet — The reason the JOS and Nasri topic came is exactly the problem which Lars/Onkar are trying to highlight. When a new post is closed, everyone starts commenting on that post and does not still continue with the old post irrespective of the topic. Thats how the site has been so far as I have seen and probably the logical way. Doesnt make sense going to a 3rd post and continuing commenting there and ignore the 1st 2 posts coz they are irrelevant. So in a way you might have to balance things out and time the posts right.

Yo uare doing a good job with the site so this is just constructive feedback for things to keep improving.

7 July 2011 at 19:24

John O’Shea in a Sunderland shirt. http://www.safc.com/javaImages/27/3a/0,,10281~9779751,00.jpg

Brown with a shirt too. http://www.safc.com/javaImages/66/37/0,,10281~9779046,00.jpg

Feels wierd. I wish them both the best.

7 July 2011 at 19:28

@Traverse…. very sad indeed… mostly JO’S…

7 July 2011 at 19:33

The secret to this blog’s history and personality is that the conversations and topics discussed under a specific thread, do not have to be about that thread. They just have to be about football and more specifically, something that relates to or about Man Utd.

There is nothing that frustrates me more than when a good conversation gets going on a thread and the administrator pulls the plug on that thread and offers up a new one, before the last one had reached it’s limit. That does not mean wait until it gets to 400 posts, but it does mean do not change topics at 50 or 60, unless you see very few hits or posts over a long period of time.

Many don’t even read the thread articles, not because they are trying to be rude or disrespectful to the the author, but because the subject matter is of no interest to them at that moment. They simply want to talk about something else relating to football. And one bit of advice to all who plan to contribute threads, don’t just write the same thing that World Press International, Reuters or down the middle journalism does. Red Ranter used to disagree with me about this but I like and respect an article that takes chances and where the author takes a stand be it popular or unpopular. That’s how one starts a debate, not by sitting on a fence and just reporting the obvious. Food for thought.

7 July 2011 at 19:38

In pre season we need a new thread either every week, or when we sign a new player. Anything more than that is overkill. When the pre season tour starts, a thread per game seems enough, and then when the season starts, a thread both pre and post game. Thinks like ‘this shirt reminds me of Veron’ sound like something you should put on your facebook group! Not much of a discussion to be had…

7 July 2011 at 19:42

I took some time to reply properly to a comment Spizzy made on the last thread and because of that I thought I would import it here for all to read.
    It’s all about beating Barcelona and how to go about it.

Spizzy: You make a lot of sense but you are wrong when you say that Barca have learned how to defend a counter attack. Problem is that not even Real Madrid can mount a proper counter attack against them because of the selfish nature of their players as well as the overall inability of teams to be able to win the ball back, put three passes together and send players off on a counter the way Inter was able to do with the use of Wesley Sneijder outlet passes. Sneijder reminded me of a drain in a bathtub. Pour water in the tub and it makes it’s way to that drain. Well the idea Inter had is whoever gets the ball off a Barca player must then immediately look for Sneijder (THE DRAIN) and then his genius, service and vision will do the rest.

With all due respect to Ozil, he succumbed to Barca’s constant press and Alonso and Khedira are not at all comfortable with the ball for long moments when they are being pressed and that alone is the reason why Inter could and Madrid couldn’t break on the counter. As for us, well our midfield was an absolute joke and players like Carrick completely fold up when they are pressed because they lack the ball retention skills required as well as pace to get by a press defense.

Another reason for Barca’s success when using the press is that it is used in liberal terms and not overused in areas of the pitch where the ball isn’t. This allows players to rest and not over extend themselves and so this is one of the reasons they are able to sustain such a defense for 90 minutes. Quick short bursts of pressure and not running for the sake of running which has always been a malady in the English game.

The English game may be exciting to many and incredibly proud, but it is also incredibly backward and behind the times. Old school thinking and blue collar values get you sweet fuck all at the highest levels of the world game. Fergie realized that to a point in 2005 when AC Milan humiliated us and ever since then, we have been a slower team and a more Italian looking team with patience, back passes galore and possession. Oh there are times we revert to our former selves but overall, we are one of only a few English sides that have learned from the masters of tactical football in Europe.

The big problem these days is that we do not have the horses for the courses. The proper player in the proper positions to beat a club like Barca. Even with Fergie’s inept tactics against the Catalans, if we had a Roy Kean and a young Paul Scholes pulling the strings in midfield, well then there would be a difference in the way things turned out. Composure and fearlessness is the way to beat Barca. Hold on to the ball and do not panic. How does one achieve that? By working the world tested short passing triangle system and teaching all the players on the pitch how to run to space when they are off the ball. Carrick and Giggs gave the ball away a lot because they were pressed but because everybody else stood around like shell shocked zombies waiting for others to do something, not to mention the space between players far to great. Barca always seem to have four or five options within ten meters of the ball carrier. HINT, play closer to each other and it is easier to find an outlet, especially if you utilize the well tested and successful one touch system. 1,2’s and overlaps help create space but they also make sure people are open and defenders cannot react to players who hold a ball for a split second.

Barcelona’s secret to their success is twofold. Press the ball carrier and when they have the ball, work a triangle off short passing and make sure all players are making runs into space. Our problem is we do not have a clue about what running to space means. We run up and down, north and south. Running to space in the Barca or continental system means laterally, vertically, horizontally, on an angle, it really doesn’t matter, they just go to where an opponent isn’t. And by doing this all the time they do not ensure space to score. What they do is win the endurance game and frustrate teams with their possession until they catch somebody napping or frustrated and then they snap at you like a cobra with a chip lob or diagonal through ball and Messi or Villa score.

If teams would not fall for this and get in the faces of Iniesta and Xavi and rough them up a bit or just make them know who is boss, Barca’s system would just disintegrate. Look at how ineffective Messi has been for Argentina. A shadow of the overrated little piss ant that he is for Barcelona. He is only as great as Iniesta and Xavi make him because unlike
    those two, Argentina only have talentless morons who can defend in midfield like Mascherano and Cambiasso who are good at winning the ball but haven’t got an ounce of scheming ability or genius between them. Argentina need a Veron or even more so, a Riquelme to pull the strings and truly bring the best out of Messi and the many other forwards they have who are feeling frustrated at the Copa but who are also guilty as sin of just standing around and waiting for their midfielders to conjure up some magic. This is why I have never been a fan of DMF’s like Mascherano, Diarra, Makelele, Sissoko etc. Talentless one dimensional players, basically CB’s in disguise. United need CM’s, not DMF’S. We need artists who can defend, not defenders who can scribble.

Beating Barca isn’t rocket science, but it takes a different mind set, running off the ball and getting into the faces of Barca’s midfield. From that one can beat them and yes beat them with a counter. Counters are only as good as the players who get them started. For me Sneijder is the very best at getting a counter started and for that reason he would be a valuable signing, even if he doesn’t fully fit our system. Perhaps it’s time we bought a player like him and had the system fit him perfectly. His vision and genius is helped by his ability to think quickly and that more than anything is the secret to the counter. Speed of foot and speed of mind. That and some old fashioned courage and fair refereeing would also help.

• Mountfort

8 July 2011 at 03:14

Fuck me! Based on that analysis I want Sneijder here immediately. Thanks Grognard, lets have him.

8 July 2011 at 03:58

Well said, Groggy! Now that’s a comment, allright!!! 😀 😆

8 July 2011 at 04:40

Madschester; Thanks mate. I’m just so tired of all the unbeatable Barcelona talk but also the frustration I get when I read many people’s inaccurate appraisals onhow to beat them. I am not saying that they are wrong and I am right…………………………….WAIT! Sorry, I am saying that. 😉 😉 😀 The proof is out there or as they used to say on X-Files, “the truth is out there”. The fact is people really have to be more than just fans of the game to really get down and dirty and truly understand tactics and how they have evolved over the decades. I remember a few years back writing a nice long exploration of “Total Football” that nobody read because it was all Dutch to them or because it wasn’t about United but the fact is I know my shit. And when it comes to Barca, the tactics needed to beat them are the same you woukld use in hockey or basketball. Make life miserable for the play makers and get on their tail with a full court press and then when you have the ball, be comfortable in controlling it and have the player to funnel the ball to who can makje the key distribution to start a counter or create a goal scoring chance. Easier said than done, but then that’s why I have been calling for wholesale changes in our central midfield area. We need two or three players there, not just Samir Nasri and a prayer. Great players make great plays and against Barca, you beat them the wy they beat everyone, with tactics and talent.

8 July 2011 at 04:37

You’re case for Schneijder is a bit weak as it hinges (almost exclusively) on his performance against them in 2009. Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE to have him at Utd, but don’t you think other (younger?) players fit the bill? How about Modric as the “drain”?

Barca are definitely the team to beat and their triangle football is taking the world over… but isn’t it possible to beat Barca without BEING barca or copying their style? With their marauding defensive backs, there should be ample room wide in the back (assuming one has control of ball) and a wide play (like we use with Nani, Vally, out wide) should work, no?

8 July 2011 at 04:50

Madschester: Sneijder had an injury plagued season last year but he is back and healthy now and there is nothing to say he will not revert to his Balon D’Or quality stuff of 2009. He is not a good player mate, Wesley Sneijder is a world class player. Go back to World Cup 06 or Euro 08 and the past World Cup and you will see he was one of the players of the tournament. He is a star. I cannot say that about Modric but I also cannot say a bad thing about Modric. A quality player but more of a box to box player like Carrick but with quicker feet and more decisive play making abilities. He is also a ball winner and can distribute but ne is not that funnel option that Sneijder is. I’d take him though, any day of the week. In fact my perfect solution for our midfield of the future is Sneijder and Schweinsteiger together, or Sneijder and Modric. Either one gives us a great chance to beat Barca if we use the proper tactics.

8 July 2011 at 04:54

Sneijder & Sweiny… that’s FM stuff 😀

PS: I can’t reply to your most recent post…

8 July 2011 at 04:54

As for room to beat them wide, yes that hole has always been there but we have not had the control of the midfield to allow our fullbacks to have the freedom to move forward, work some 1,2’s and overlaps and then get in a pass or cross. Evra has been caught up field many times but then again he offers absolutely sweet fuck all to our attack as that idiot has never made a good cross, shot or pass in his entire United career. Rafael or Fabio on the right are capable but they have been forced to hold back because of the space our midfielders were giving up in the center of the pitch, thus forcing our fullbacks to be very conservative unlike Barca’s who have the freedom to do whatever they want because everyone else is pressing the opponent with the ball.

8 July 2011 at 04:58

Also, Mourinho must have studied Barca to death in 2009 when he beat htem with Inter; however, once took over Real Madrid, he must have known there would be issues, no?

If so, why didn’t get a Sneijder-type player in the midfield? Mourinho (as good as he is) got embarrassed by Barca this past season… but I feel like he should have know better… if he truly knew what he was doing in 2009…. that is, if the Inter tactics are worth using at all… just a theory 🙂

7 July 2011 at 19:47

There is a dirty dirty rumour doing the rounds on twitter from someone who has got a lot of things right so far that we are trying to sign both Sneijder AND Nasri. I don’t suppose we’ll be doing that without letting more than just Gibson go from our midfield. Also don’t see us letting Carrick, Fletcher or Anderson go. We’ll see what happens.

7 July 2011 at 19:49

I could care less about Charlie Adams. If fergie wanted him he would have signed him. I don’t think he is an upgrade over Anderson or Gibson.

7 July 2011 at 19:50

Rimmerstweets: That’s a good point. To everyone, if you are interested in a topic thread like the beating Barca one, then stay there until you have had your fill and then move on. Just because a new thread has been opened does not mean that older threads have to be abandoned. This is a forum and does not require everyone to be at the same thread 24/7. But it’s important to educate everyone in the freedom to do so. I feel too many are preconditioned to moving to a new thread because in the past, they came so infrequently, by the time a new one started, the old one was slow and frustrating to navigate within.

• godzilla

8 July 2011 at 09:24

It goesnt work that way though Grog. no one likes to keep commenting on old/older posts when new ones are posted. its just how people function i guess..

27. RedDevilEddy

7 July 2011 at 20:08

Who the fuck wants Nasri at United? 😕 The lad is a twat and doesn’t fit into our system, can’t see what Fergie is doing here. I don’t want us to sign Sneijder either, but if I was to choose between the two I would go for Sneijder, no fucking doubt! Let’s see what the manager does, I’ve been satisfied with our transfers thus far but I just don’t see what we need Nasri for.

• Eddie Griffin

8 July 2011 at 06:19

I’m still unsure about whether or not I’d want to see Nasri at United.

He does seem to have a little more up there than many of that spineless Arsenal team do, otherwise he wouldn’t be trying to flee, but is he truly ready to do all it takes to be the winner he says he wants to be?

If he’d be 150% committed to the cause, match in, match out, whether it’s against Blackburn, Barcelona, or against Arsenal at the Emirates, then step right up son.

Anything short, and he can go ahead and sign for City.

• godzilla

8 July 2011 at 09:27

You dont want Nasri, you dont want Sneijder?? FFS, we had Giggs and Scholes playing against Barca. If that is not embarrassing for a club of the stature of United, I dont know what is !! A manager from League 2 can tell ye how badly we need someone in the MF, preferably a DMF, but at least an AMF if not a DMF, unless we are happy again next year to struggle to win PL and somehow reach CL semi-finals or finals

28. Rimmerstweets

7 July 2011 at 20:11

@Madschester

Re: The revolution btw, I’ve got the figures, whatever it is we’re doing it’s working.

Like I said, I’m working on the balance to allow your organically growing threads to co-exist with more short-term articles based threads to improve the site. If when it’s achieved you still feel the need to skip the content and you’re not happy then by all means feel free to find another forum to moan about. I don’t see what else I can do to make you, the most important opinion on here, happy.

• Mountfort

8 July 2011 at 03:28

Ian, man – you really have a hard time with the feedback. Maybe you are being wound up because your responses are so over the top. That said, in my time reading this sheet I have never seen anything approaching the level of criticism that you are generating – much of it valid in my opinion.
      I am surprised that the traffic is way up, but suspect that this has something to do with advertising and less to do with the current content.

• godzilla

8 July 2011 at 09:29

Ian, yhou are doing a good job with the changes. keep it up. The reply button is back as well and the comments section is much better organized i think.

29. Rimmerstweets

7 July 2011 at 20:12

Just to add to @Grognards point in C:26

The comments boxes never close.

30. RedDevilEddy

7 July 2011 at 20:16

I fear that Fergie is trying to turn us into Barca. Really, it looks bad. Judging by his approach for Sanchez, and will to get Sneijder AND Nasri, I really get the feeling that he wants to create a Barca-easque United team. Just watch.

Valdes
    Alves Puyol Pique Abidal
    Xavi Bosquets Iniesta
    Pedro Messi Villa

The defence is almost the same , but our front 6 could be changing. If Fergie decides to go :

Sneijder Carrick Nasri
    Nani Rooney Young

Sneijder as our passing distributor, just as Xavi is for Barca. Carrick is already playing the same role as Bosquets, and Nasri is probably the closest you’ll come to a Iniesta clone. Same playing style, same run-pass-run movement, and both are true LAM. Rooney will keep dropping deep, and play as a deep forward just like Messi. Nani could work like Pedro, coming in to have a bang or get in a cross. And Young is a right-footed left winger, who’ll probably cut in a use his pace to unsettle defences. Just like Villa.

It scares me. I don’t want this. Now this is only a theory, of course, but I’m against the idea of changing our game-philosophy from United-style to Barca. Just because of that, I hope we don’t get both Nasri and Sneijder. 🙄

8 July 2011 at 04:57

Fergie is too tactically inept and naive to be able to turn us into Barca. Also, he hasn’t got the cash to buy the players who could best copy what Barca do.

31. RedDevilEddy

7 July 2011 at 20:21

@Rimmerstweets

To be honest I don’t think people are too keen on having improvements to this site, I think the majority just wants to keep it as it is. As Traverse said, not too many articles, importance put on the comments-section, and let this society base itself on the members who contribute. We don’t really need this place to be high-tech, overflowing with articles or cause riot. Keep it simple mate! I know a lot of us look at this site as a pub, or somewhere else you can just hang out! We’ll find a topic to talk about, our name, our emoticons, show who we reply too, and maybe someone to aim a shotgun at our heads if we get so pissed we try to kill someone. But if we don’t, let’s have fun! 😀

Though I wouldn’t mind it if you could make this place serve me a pint once in a while, would be perfect! 😆

32. RedDevilEddy

7 July 2011 at 20:37

I’ll always remember Wes Brown for his never-say-die attitude, his passion and of course his assist for Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal in the Champions League final against Chelsea. I’ve always liked Wes, as his attitude epitomises the United spirit. He’ll always be a Legend for me, and I wish him all the best at Sunderland. Thanks for everything Wes!

8 July 2011 at 03:57

I never really liked Wes Brown (barring the 2007-08 season, where he did an excellent job replacing Neville), however, after being reminded of his contract haggling and his injury-plagued nature, I think he needed to finish his career else-where… not shedding a tear for him.

PS: I am not sure I like this “type” of non-linear replying…. why not just keep it linear? Is it to do speeding up the site?

• despicable

8 July 2011 at 09:19

he had more contract issues than any other united player.. 🙁

• Onkar

8 July 2011 at 12:01

Yup agree even I will be happy with the Linear Format of Replying rather than this way where there is a possibility that people like us who sometimes just go through the comments rather than commenting may miss out on many comments as they might have appeared somewhere else… Rather than the last few of the list…

33. RedDevilEddy

7 July 2011 at 20:40

And many thanks for all the years dear John O’shea has given us! Always did his best, bled for the red kit, and never complained (as far as I’ve seen). Thanks for all the wonderful years John, we’re gonna miss you. Good luck at Sunderland Johnny!

Fuck, now Giggs is the only remaining survivor of our born and bred United players. 🙁 Gibbo and Evans are still too young, so this is indeed a sad day. 🙁 Come on United!!!

8 July 2011 at 04:38

I will; however, shed a couple tears for O’Shea. Measured by his worst games, he is a stand out players — consistently average and can play EVERY position known to man.

I will miss O’Shea!!! Good luck in your endeavors!!!

8 July 2011 at 04:58

I’ll second the emotion. Good luck to John and Wes. They were both great and loyal servants.

34. Shaun

7 July 2011 at 21:04

Jonny, I think he would be a nice addition to our midfield. I’m pretty sure he isn’t the player to revitalize our midfield, but he could add something extra going forward that seemed to be missing last season.

8 July 2011 at 04:59

He’s no Bebe mate. Now that was money well spent. 😉 😉 😆

7 July 2011 at 23:32

Johnsom: Mate a bag of nails and a hammer are an upgrade over Anderson and Gibson. 😆

7 July 2011 at 23:35

Eddy: Have to agree with you about Nasri. For me he is just another winger who thinks he can be central midfielder. Sneijder is the real deal and total class and we would be doing real well getting him but seriously, Nasri is a soft serve specialist suffering from Wengeritis.

7 July 2011 at 23:43

Eddy: Actually I remember Brown for his never say play attitude because half the time he spent his time sharing space on the infirmary examination table with Owen Hargreaves and Louis Fucking Saha. I liked him when he played but that was not often and he was one of those players who had a very low pain threshold and could not play with an injury. Let Sunderland’s doctors have their turn with him. 😀

8 July 2011 at 03:52

@RimmerTweet:

“Quite honestly mate the majority of your comments revolve around negativity towards either me or changes to the site, seemingly with an automatic agenda to ramp up a bit of a scuffle.”
    —- You would say this because you have never been to RedRants since you became admin (from Bilal, I assume). I have been on this site since 2006 or 2007 and, anyone who frequents this blog know that I am more of a pink-ponies-and-rainbows kind of guy. I am not creating a scuffle, merely posting my opinion of the site/posts over the last week or 10 days (after Onkar and Lars voiced similar concerns).

“I’m not sure which part of ‘we’re trying to change the site for the better and to suit everyones taste’ and ‘the reply button will return soon’ and ‘please be patient’ you don’t understand.”
    —— I have loads of patience, it is just the last 3-5 posts have been void of novel content (the Barca-posting aside) and there seemed be some sort of pattern.

“If the posts have little value and it’s a popular opinion then I need to work on that with both me and the writers. However, I think that’s highly disrespectful and mischievous, but then you’ve been making a habit of that from day 1 of ‘Rimmers-Revolution’.”
    —– I think it is popular opinion among the frequent visitors and comment contributors. Not sure how I am disrespectful or mischievous.

“Eg: Yesterday, we hosted more traffic than at any other time this year including Champions League final night. Not bad considering there were no signings, no matches, close season etc. What attracted them was the content and the intelligent comments and debate that accompanied it.”
    —– The attraction has been how you have improved the site’s advertising on sites such as Facebook (goading people with Tevez>Rooney?” for example), but don’t mistake “more traffic” for a quality blog, mate. McDonalds have more visitors than any other restaurant, but I will not claim it is higher quality product they serve 😉

“Like I said, I’m working on the balance to allow your organically growing threads to co-exist with more short-term articles based threads to improve the site.”
    —- I am not sure “more short-term articles” is considered a balance or improvement…

“If when it’s achieved you still feel the need to skip the content and you’re not happy then by all means feel free to find another forum to moan about. I don’t see what else I can do to make you, the most important opinion on here, happy.”
    — I guess, this is where you become agitated. 🙄

“I don’t expect you to understand this @Madschester but when new content is published and posters get involved the site improves. I compare that to when you join the conversation and sadly for you it’s a different story.”
    —- In my eyes, this is where you contradict yourself. You want people to stay on topic of the post, then you post 1-2 times per days and claim you want to get posters involved (I assume here, posters=commenters). I am not sure you really know what you want to achieve on RedRants or that you are capable of doing so incrementally… IMO, you either need to re-create RedRants or leave it be.

“Do me a favour and keep your unnecessary antagonistic bullshit to yourself because I honestly believe the majority don’t want to be reading this shit anymore, they just want to see some improvements. If you do have something to say then maybe get some tips of @Onkar on how to go about it.”
    — not sure how my comment was antagonistic. You are extremely defensive about this site and you come off very insecure. At least @Onkar, @Traverse, and @Lars are capable of spotting the same problems I see, so I guess I don’t need to dent your ego on here anymore.

PS: I just noticed the “Reply” button is back and the boxes around the comments look nice. 😉

8 July 2011 at 05:06

Mate, you are all about being OPTI and so it’s time to let it go, show the patience you say you have and give the man a chance. Personally I like the way the blog is looking and flowing right now and I am happy to have some new and interesting members. Be the OPTI man I know you are instead of reverting to Grognard mode while I turn in to OPTI Madschester. I feel a role reversal here, don’t you? 😆 Seriously though, let it go and give Ian a chance and a break, he’s working his ass off to make this a quality blog again and he doesn’t need members of the old guard constantly pissing in his face. Many of us sound like miserable old men with Dimentia complaining about the hospital food.

We all need to lighten up and let this blog take shape and you know, in a month if it sucks, we all have an option to go if we still don’t like it. I think the blog is great right now because most everyone has stopped whining and gone back to talking footy. HINT HINT!! 😀

8 July 2011 at 04:03

On second thought, I am not a huge fan of the nonlinear (time-wise) “reply” functionality. To follow discussions, I now have to look at every original comment and check the “reply”-tree… why not keep it linear (in time) and let the last comment be the most recent one? Is it a site-issue?

8 July 2011 at 05:08

Don’t you think it’s kind of stupid to reply to say post #3 and have it show up at Post #154 because you went to bed and woke up eight hours later. By the time you reply, the comment is irrelevant or has been forgotten. Besides, for me replies are not necessarily meant for anyone other than the individual I am replying to, and he will naturally go back and check for replies. Lets be more logical and open minded I say. Change is good. 😀

8 July 2011 at 06:06

On a third thought… it’s growing on me… different but not too bad. 😀

8 July 2011 at 04:43

Rimmerstweets: Kudos mate, I love the new reply engine. I like the fact it lists the reply right after the comment it is replying to. Very nice. See people, patience and you get results. Give my man Ian a chance and this blog will turn in to the Cantona of United blogs. 😀

8 July 2011 at 04:48

It is diffucult to see when new comments are made, Groggy… every reload requires a manual gloss of every comment… poor mobile users …. 🙁

8 July 2011 at 05:10

Do what I do, every so often I start from the top and look for all the replies, not just to my comments but to other ones that interest me. It just asks you to do something differently like drive on the left side of the road. Can you believe those English? 😉 😆

8 July 2011 at 04:53

I can’t reply to your reply-of-my-reply (4th comment indentation)… kinda ends the conversation there… 🙄

• godzilla

8 July 2011 at 09:36

You can – like this. Plus you can search on your name and go through your comments and replies. easier that way. also comments being organized is always a good thing

• Traverse

8 July 2011 at 15:24

Complaining gets results :mrgreen:

8 July 2011 at 04:43

@Shaun,

Sorry if I made it sounds like I hate you or despise your posts… that is not the case at all. If you want ideas on how to resonate best with folks on here, take a look at Eddie Griffin’s posts from last season — stellar stuff, really!

I am sure you can get this place rockin’ again!!

8 July 2011 at 05:15

OK with all respect to Eddie Griffin, seriously, his posts were good, not great. A little bit too much like Red Ranter in my opinion which means they read like a Reuters news release rather than a journalistic critique or comment. I prefer somebody takes a position and allows for debate rather than state the obvious write without taking a side.

I also think Eddie due to his work restrictions and time was not able to manage the blog and offer enough threads to keep the blog flowing better. So with all respect to him, I think Ian is doing a bang up job and Eddie will back to offer his take on things, hopefully while not sitting on the fence so much. Just kidding Eddie if you are reading this mate. 😉 🙂

8 July 2011 at 05:53

Groggy, did you get promised something in return for stalwart defense of this new blog??? Maybe a chance to write articles? 😀 Your new persona is very different from old self and your constant defense (the reply-function is growing on me, but everything else) is too sweet of you…

PS: I have tried to reply to a couple of your posts, but they’re not coming through…

• Eddie Griffin

8 July 2011 at 06:02

I appreciate the kind words my man! I’ll have something new up in a few hours actually. Shaking off the rust, so to speak.

But you guys aren’t rid of me just yet, so you don’t have to miss me too much! Do get behind Shaun and Ian though, they’re both good writers and will be providing plenty of quality content.

I know not every change has been favorable, but that’s all a part of the process. Trial and error. Ian’s doing his best to find that balance that will not only keep the great community the site has had for so long, but expand it, and I’m gladly chipping in to help with that. We’re already seeing new folks in the discussion, and with good insight at that.

8 July 2011 at 06:15

Everything in moderation… 😀

• despicable

8 July 2011 at 09:28

hey Eddie, Can we have some sort of competition so that we can submit our views, thereby we can select from that. 🙂

• Rimmerstweets

8 July 2011 at 10:46

It’s on its way.

I’m trying to sort it out, a way of collecting some views then taking a vote on what to publish.

Is that what you mean?

• despicable

9 July 2011 at 12:33

I meant may be some sort of submitting our views in terms of Blogs etc, So that we can find the best ones.

8 July 2011 at 19:09

Madschester: I have no idea what is wrong with the reply function mate. They seem to work for me. As for anything being wrong with me, well what can I say, Ian flew into Vancouver last week, cornered me in my garage, beat the living snot out of me and threatened to rip up all my Ronaldo posters if I didn’t get in line. 😉 😉

Seriously though, I fail to understand why everybody is overreacting regarding the way I am acting. I wasn’t well liked by many when I was acting like a prick and now I find is a good time to kind of change my ways when the blog is expanding and trying to break new ground and I get criticized by the optimist on here for being optimistic. Ain’t that a kick in the head. Like I have said before, I can’t win for losing. When I revolted against Ian I got zip for support from any of you. I felt all alone in the wilderness and it seemed like all of you took a nice sweet time to piss on me for taking a stance. Anyway, I honestly realized that I was wrong in how I reacted but I did also realize that the number of people on here that are watching my back is zero. I have gone to bat for the blog and many on the blog but when I needed support I got sweet fuck all.

So then I talked things out with Ian and found out a little about him and his positive goals for this blog and I thought it to be the best thing for this blog to allow the man to make his changes. And as soon as I did that , many people like yourself took up the mantle I threw away days before. Where were all of you when I was fighting against the changes? Then I get a wake up call and realize I was wrong and still I get no support. Bottom line is I felt very hurt by the lack of support I got even though I was wrong in my stance. So now lets just say Grognard is a kindlier and gentler presence on here. Truthfully, I have passion and commitment for the subject matter but I am tired of fighting and arguing especially since I am disliked for doing so.

I will continue to be controversial and write what I feel about Man Utd, Fergie, the Glazer’s and football in general but the days of me getting into squabbles on here are over. It’s pointless and I am tired of being the target of ridicule for standing my ground.

8 July 2011 at 09:10

I appreciate the desire to keep threads on topic. But the reality is that a new post DOES cut off a discussion prematurely as most people migrate to the new thread and stop following comments on previous threads.

Who is going to trawl back months to find the particular topic they have a new insight on? And even if they do, who will notice the new comment and pick up on it? It just does not work.

And if we are forced to stick to topic, we are purely dependent on the skill of the author in picking juicy topics.

Veron and Charlie Adam? Seriously?

There is a general consensus that Veron was an excellent player but sadly not a success at Manchester United. There is a similar consensus that Charlie Adam isn’t the player we need to take our team to the next level. In all the talk about transfers virtually no-one has seriously discussed Charlie Adam as a target.

A more interesting topic would be how we will cope without Wes Brown and John O’Shea and who will step into their boots. Personally I think we are now a bit light in defense as Rio and Vidic and Evra are now our only experienced defenders and the twins for all their promise do seem a bit injury prone.

• godzilla

8 July 2011 at 09:39

Thought Fergie looks like wanted Varane since he was letting Brown and JOS leave, dont think defense should be a problem with Jones, Smalling, evans and twins available unless we have a situation like the season before this one where 6 out of 8 defenders are out with injury.

• RMJ

8 July 2011 at 14:51

I think browns been replaced but o shea? we need a back up left back as fergie likes fabio on the right more it seems

44. despicable

8 July 2011 at 09:24

@Rimmerstweets : As people are discussing about content, Why cant we have some sort of competition, where you can collect our point of views, and you can select and show them as threads… Everyone Happy.. also a forum for us to express ourselves.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

• despicable

8 July 2011 at 09:25

What you people think Guys??? Are we up for it? 😈 😈 😈 😈

• despicable

8 July 2011 at 09:26

What about ability for users to provide a POLL? after a POST… makes more crisp and detailed opinion that like/dislike!! 🙂 🙂

• Rimmerstweets

8 July 2011 at 10:55

It’s on its way….see above.

Having a problem piecing it together but it’s close.

45. RedDevilEddy

8 July 2011 at 12:36

A reply to a reply within a reply…

Replyception! 😯 😆

46. Phoenix Red

8 July 2011 at 12:49

Wes Browne and John O Shea leaves and there’s hardly a peep on RedRants!! 🙄 🙄 🙄 WTF? Charlie Adam goes to Dippers, so…………. what?
    Content is King 😆 😆 😆
    As for the “shirt” thread, i like it because it tells a personal story of being a United Fan.
    There’s plenty of other things/players to be discussing on this Site in probably one of the most exciting off seasons!
    Sissoko? Anyone?

• Moscow is my heaven

8 July 2011 at 13:26

Content is truly KING 😆

• Rimmerstweets

8 July 2011 at 15:25

Who’s Wes Browne? 😈

8 July 2011 at 19:15

Mate, there has been a fair amount of talk about O’Shea and Brown. But lets face it, United is rebuilding or reloading and these players were seen as expendable. Not exactly starters in my book so not really worth the discussion other than thanks for the service and good luck to them. I will not lose any sleep over not having them considering we have Smalling and Jones who are upgrades.

As for Charlie Adam, look, I kind of like the guy but I seriously doubt he is in the category of a Nasri, Sneijder or Modric. Frankly, United have bigger fish to fry and we are trying to bridge the gap with Barcelona, not add another bench warmer to our team.

47. Moscow is my heaven

8 July 2011 at 13:32

City’s ground is now called the Etihad Stadium, in a desperate attempt to adhere to the UEFA Fair Play regulations. How embarassing. Just imagine, Old Trafford renamed as Glazerdome or something stupid like that. No class, no heritage, small club, small-time mentality, City perfectly encapsulate what it means to be futile wannabes and eternal losers.

• RMJ

8 July 2011 at 14:49

i heard somewhere that Shitty dont own the stadium so if thats true, how are they able to make money of it?

• Will

8 July 2011 at 15:00

Ok, I’m not for a minute suggesting it but, Glazerdome that sounds pretty cool.

• tonymontanna4united

8 July 2011 at 17:54

The Eithad stadium, oh boy. The irony is roughly translated, its actually “the united stadium” 🙂 You really couldnt make it up
      😆 😆 😆 :mrgreen:

8 July 2011 at 15:13

I cannot help feeling we will regret letting Wes and Johnny go.

Wesley was a victim of Fergie’s pettiness. Injuries did not help his cause. But he was never given a run in the side to regain his fitness. The twins have progressed well but for my money Wes is still a better player and could have given us another year or two as a first teamer.

O’Shea was the perfect squad player. Very versatile. Able to play across defence. And while a very mediocre player he rarely had a poor game and could play once a month and still seem fresh. He could have played till he was 40 I believe Fergie once said. So unless he requested a move himself it seems strange we are letting him go.

It seems only RedRants realized that our weak link is Patrice Evra. And now he faces zero competition for his place! If I was Fergie I would be lining up Evra’s replacement pronto!

8 July 2011 at 15:59

Over the last 12 years, Brown has had multiple contract haggles and never really progressed beyond his 2002-2004 level… yes, he had one good year in 2008, but since then its been down hill. In addition, he was often injured. Fergie did what he could but it was time for him to move on. We will not miss him on the field (only in our memories).

O’Shea I agree with you, he will be missed, and unless SAF has something up his sleeve, we will miss his versatility and his consistency.

8 July 2011 at 19:19

Oh please mate, stop making these guys out to be something they are not, which is vital. Jones and Smalling are better than both of them and the emergence of Fabio being able to play both sides has also made them expendable. Both were valuable at times with the club but now they are just an expensive surplus. Take the money for them and the money saved and put it towards midfielders I say. I liked both players but they were hardly stars now were they?

8 July 2011 at 15:34

Essien has done his cruciate ligaments on the first day of training. Out for the season. Bit of good fortune for us! Also glad we didn’t sign him, been as bad as Hargreaves recently!

8 July 2011 at 15:55

Jesus!!! I feel bad for the lad… he is my favorite Chelsea player… the only one with grit and determination. This will end Chelsea’s season, before it even starts.

8 July 2011 at 16:00

Didn’t Chelsea also sell Obi Wan Mikel? They’re lightweight in midfield with the Brazilian, the Israeli, and Lampard as their top midfielders…

• Traverse

8 July 2011 at 17:13

I think McEchran is gonna be getting a few more games this season. I think they’ll go big for Modric too.

8 July 2011 at 16:10

Thus far:

OUT: EVDS, Neville, JOS, Brown, Scholes, Hargo, (Gibson?) (1 GK, 3 DEF, 3 MID)
    IN: De Gea, Phil Jones, Young (1 GK, 1 DEF, 1 MID)

Surely someone is still to be signed…. and I have a feeling we will unleash Pogba and Ravel onto the EPL this season as well.

It seems like Fergie’s transfer plan were quite genius in the past 3 years (after selling Ronaldo), because he actually got some VALUE-signings… and most competitors now are saturated (Tottenham, Madrid, City, Chelsea), weakened (Arsenal, Liverpool, AC Milan, Inter, Bayern) so Fergie has a better chance of getting his man/men.

I am excited for the next two months of rumors and possible signings…

• Traverse

8 July 2011 at 17:26

We’ve freed up nearly £550,000 grand a week in wage. (With Kuszsczaszsczxsxxzsczxk and Diouf expected to be off too). We’ve given Smalling a new contract to match that of Jones. So that’s £100k a week between the two. Young on £100k. De Gea on £70k ? That’s £280k a week left over just to back where we were.

8 July 2011 at 17:49

280 is for boosting Nani’s salary (+40?)…. then 240 left… that’s 1-2 players with change… 😀 or is a Glazer-money-saving scheme in disguise?