Ligue 1 club Rennes have been in negotiations with Real Valladolid for centre-back Mohammed Salisu, according to reports in France.
The 21-year-old was linked with Manchester United, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, according to Spanish outlet AS, back in February.
French outlet RMC Sport are now reporting that Rennes have been in negotiations for days with the Spanish La Liga side, for whom Brazilian legend Ronaldo is their president.
Salisu had received much praise throughout much of the 2019-20 La Liga season before the league was suspended back in March. Despite Sergio Gonzalez’s side being four points above the drop zone, they had the best defensive record in the bottom half of the table through 27 games, and only allowing two more goals than leaders Barcelona. The 6’3″ defender had been a big part of this, throwing his body in the way of shots as well as making numerous tackles and clearances.
There have been no reports in the past few days of Manchester United making any firm offer for the player and given that the report from France states that Rennes are offering the value of the player’s release clause, just €12 million (£10.5m), would suggest that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is either no longer interested in the player or has another target lined up.
In recent days it has been reported that we could sign either Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly or Barcelona’s Samuel Umtiti for much cheaper prices than we were originally quoted. Both have proven themselves on both the European stage and international football, whilst Mohammed Salisu only made his professional debut in Europe last year.
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid
- Paul Pogba turns down £50m contract offer at Manchester United
- Ex-Manchester United player named Northern Ireland goalkeeping coach
- Manchester United ahead of Arsenal in race for Ruben Neves
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw played Euro 2020 knockout stage with broken ribs
- Manchester United set to fight Liverpool for Saul Niguez
- Manchester United’s Facundo Pellistri set for loan move
- Manchester United should have signed Ben White, claims Danny Mills