AS Roma boss Paulo Faunseca claims that he needs Chris Smalling at the club.
He told Sky Sports [via Fabrizio Romano}:
“I need Chris Smalling. It’s so important for me to bring him back, we’ve only 3 centre-backs so I want Smalling here”
Romano also understands that the deal between Manchester United and Roma is getting closer.
Last year, Smalling joined Roma on a season-long deal. He had a terrific season and was Roma’s defensive cornerstone. He made a total of 37 appearances before coming back to Old Trafford.
The management at Roma are so impressed with the value Smalling adds is that they wanted to submit a bid in November last year only.
There is so final confirmations about the deal right now but Roma have actively chased the English center-back. Yesterday, Fonseca told that they are working towards a deal and the player wants to join Roma permanently too.
After Smalling departs, United will desperately need a center-back. The Red Devils have Kalidou Koulibaly and Dayot Upamecano as their transfer targets. However, Koulibaly is very close to signing a deal with Manchester City and Upamecano is set to stay at Leipzig after signing a contract extension.
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat
- Manchester United fans sympathise with David de Gea after Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pleased for Manchester United duo despite Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are yet to see best of Marcus Rashford
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Marcus Rashford’s availability for Leicester City clash
- Manchester United to be without four first-team regulars for Leicester City clash