With the late brace against the Republic of Ireland, Cristiano Ronaldo has now become the highest goalscorer in men’s international football.
As per BBC Sports, Ronaldo surpassed the record held by Iran’s Ali Daei when he scored the equaliser for Portugal in the 89th minute.
Ronaldo recently made an astonishing comeback to the Premier League when he re-signed for Manchester United from Juventus.
The dust had barely settled on the news before the 36-year-old demonstrated his undoubted talent.
Ronaldo had an early chance in the match to break the record.
However, Ireland goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu spoiled the party when he denied the Portuguese from the penalty spot.
An Irish win was on the cards with John Egan’s first-half goal looking to be the winner, but Ronaldo had other ideas.
With two headers from the record-breaker in the 89th and the 96th minute, Portugal won the game 2-1 and grabbed three crucial points in the World Cup qualifying group stage.
Ronaldo is now top of the pile with 111 international goals, two ahead of Daei who retired in 2006 and 35 in front of active challengers Ali Mabkhout and Lionel Messi.
In addition to breaking this record, Ronaldo equalled another.
He was making his 180th appearance for Portugal, drawing level with Sergio Ramos’ record held for the most caps by a European player.
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash