Edinson Cavani is unavailable for the Champions League clash with Young Boys but is close to returning to action, according to Manchester Evening News.
Cavani extended his contract by a further year after bagging 17 goals for the club last season.
He missed the first fixture this season due to quarantine and was on the bench for the second game.
Cavani subsequently featured for 30 minutes in the victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers.
His international call up for Uruguay in the first week of September was called off, and he remained in Manchester.
During this period, he started for United in a friendly against Stoke City but suffered a strain during the match.
He did not feature against Newcastle United and is not included in the squad for the trip to Switzerland.
“Edi is hopefully back with us soon,” said United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
“He had a slight strain in the international week after the in-house game. He’s working hard to get back.”
Cavani’s impending return will give Solskjaer plenty to think about over the coming weeks.
He renewed his contract this summer in the hope of playing more often, but Cristiano Ronaldo’s return has changed the landscape.
With Mason Greenwood, Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial also in the mix, United are spoilt for choice.
Ronaldo will undoubtedly be the first choice striker, leaving Cavani facing a battle to secure game time.
However, with United competing across four competitions, the Uruguayan will feature as the season progresses.
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Carabao Cup Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Michael Owen blasts Jesse Lingard’s post-goal reaction versus West Ham