Ferguson Trots the Same Tired Lines

Alex Ferguson was apparently “interested” in David Villa. Of course, Villa has since moved on to Barca, and most keen observers of the game would know he was unlikely to ever leave Spain. How convenient!

He then goes on to make another outrageous remark—well not so outrageous, if you think about it.

“We’ve looked at a few options,” Ferguson told the Mail on Sunday. “We did consider David Villa but he was always going to Barcelona.

“I just don’t believe there is value out there at the moment. I’m very happy with the strength of our squad as it is.”

No value? Well, let’s translate that to we-don’t-have-money. And I’m very happy with the strength of our squad as it is? Well either he’s lying/being politically correct, in which case it’s sad, or he honestly believes that his squad is alright, which is disturbing.

I think he knows the squad is not as good as he wants it to be. But clearly if he thinks there is no value in the market then he’s either deluded or his scouting network needs an overhaul. Wesley Sneijder stands out as a shining example of how the market has value—I mean, last season, of course. Of course, if you are looking for the likes of Ozil right now, his value is going to go over the roof simply because of an amazing world cup.

At the moment I’m willing to call it a bonus if we sign anyone at all. Fabiano openly declared his interest, but due to a combination of there-is-no-value-in-the-market and oh-but-he’s-29-and-we-look-to-develop-young-kids we won’t sign him. Ozil said something to the effect of ‘he likes the way Chelsea and Manchester United play’ but no one should read much into that anyway. The Mirror reckons we are interested in Stephen Ireland because Man City have bought a gazillion midfielders, but City might rather sell him off to the likes of Everton or Villa—with whom they could work out an exchange deal with James Milner—than to us.

In conclusion, I want the remote control with the fast-forward button, once this World Cup gets over, so we could skip straight to the start of the season.

* * *

Speaking of the World Cup, it’s a shame Brazil are out. Prior to the Cup I predicted Brazil or Spain with Germany as the dark horse. My pick? The winner of Spain-Germany will win the World Cup. I loved the way Germany taught a lesson to Maradona and co, simply because the Albiceleste were outed for their flawed, stuttering defence. I found the pre-match talk—of Maradona being a managerial genius—ridiculous. Whilst I thought Germany would win, I never imagined it would have been this brutal.

Also: doesn’t anyone else find it odd that the Netherlands—who have the best chance to reach the final—have got this far by playing the most un-Dutch football ever?

I bet, if they win this tournament, Rinus Michels will be Cryuff-turning in his grave.

July 7, 2010 at 11:07 pm

@Grognard: The truth is ( and you must accept it) that Germans were scared today.They just allowed Spain to dictate the game and at which they are so good.It is a shame that a player like Lahm never crossed the half line for 70 mins.Schweintieger turned into a defensive midfieder and Ozil was completely isolated with no one near him.Podolski is a joke and should have never got a place in starting eleven of such a power house like Germany.

July 7, 2010 at 11:07 pm

@Red Ranter: I couldn’t agree with you more. This is Spain’s golden age right now. This is and always will be their best team and if they don’t win it now, they will not win it with the majority of the same same group in four years. Germany on the other hand will have so many of their squad at around 25 and 26 by 2014. If they enter the tournament in form they will have to be the favourite as Brazil is looking to be a little depleted in young talent right now and many of their stars like Kaka, Fabiano and Maicon will be gone by then. Unless Pato, Costa and some others become major world stars by then, Germany will steamroll the whole competition after four years of growth, experience and maturity. Christ, I just shudder to think how great Ozil, Kroos and mueller will be in four years. By the way, the biggest mistake that Low made today was not starting Kroos over Trochowski.

July 7, 2010 at 11:15 pm

@Grognard: Sorry Grog but 2014 will be the year of England.They will have a brilliant side with Gerrard,35,;Lampard,36;Terry,35;Rio,35,;Heskey,37;.That will be the golden generation 🙄

July 7, 2010 at 11:17 pm

@Owen: You got me there. And don’t forget the return of 40 year old David Beckham. 😀

July 7, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I’m going to shock and awe all of you right now with a bit of positive energy coming from me, Mr. Wonderful. I honestly am getting the feeling that despite all our financial woes, the Glazer’s are feeling a lot of pressure to get the mass number of Grognard wannabe’s off their backs and are going to sanction the purchase of Wesley Schneijder or Mesut Ozil (Ozil would be Plan B). I then think Fergie will do as rumoured and shop Berbatov, Anderson and somebody else off to other teams to get the money for Benzema due to the quiet lack of demand for him by other teams. So from an on field perspective these two inclusions would be great. Scneijder or Ozil alone would be enough for me, but Benzema on top of that should make most of you euphoric. As for Neuer, forget about it. I will be shocked if Bayern don’t get him at the end. I also hope Bayern get Huntelaar. So there you have, some early Christmas cheer and optimism from Scrooge himself. 😆 😆

July 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm

@Grognard: I just read that Capello has decided to make RedNev new English Captain keeping in view the 2014 and may be 2018 world cup and hope to bring Shearer out of retirement. FA has backed his decision and they have given 100% support believing this time Capello is really serious .

July 7, 2010 at 11:27 pm

@Owen: What about Scholes? Surely Scholes is due for his long awaited comeback.

July 7, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Now that I am thinking about I have to seriously consider this Germany squad one of the best to not win the World Cup. When thinking about I ranked the top 6 teams all time who never won the Cup with #1 being the best of all.

1. Holland 1974
    2. Hungary 1954
    3. Brazil 1982
    4. France 1986
    5. Germany 2010
    6. West Germany 1970

With honourable mention to England 2010. 😉 😀 😀 😀

July 7, 2010 at 11:34 pm

And just for balance, I rank the 6 worst teams to have won the World Cup with #1 being the most overrated to do so, regardless of the final score in the final.

1. Italy 1982
    2. Italy 2006
    3. Italy 1934
    4. Italy 1938
    5. France 1998
    6. Any Italian team to win in the future.

To all Italians out there. No need for any of you to apologize. 😀 😀

July 7, 2010 at 11:36 pm

@Grognard: Fergie has not allowed Scholes because in 2014 and 2018,Man Utd have a very tough fixture In Championship.Man Utd have to play reigning Champion Leeds,Barnsley,Portsmouth and Burnley in May,2014.Scholes will be exhausted and also he wants to go on holiday with his grand children.

July 7, 2010 at 11:38 pm

@Grognard: Grog ,You watched Hungary in 1954?Are you class mate of Hitler?I never thought you are so old. 🙄

July 7, 2010 at 11:40 pm

@Owen: Germans are never scared mate. I thought they were overly composed at times. I think they were cautious and followed Low’s overly cautious tactics far too literally. Overly cautious is not scared, it’s just too respectful. I agree with you over Podolski. For me he has always been a major underachiever who seems to become a good player for his country in a manner similar to Robinho. I would much prefer a German starting eleven that would include Ozil on the left and Kroos in the middle just behind Klose with Kroos on the right. And that is what you will see in the future, not counting Klose of course. Trust me when I say, the future of German football is Mueller, Ozil and Kroos.

July 7, 2010 at 11:41 pm

@Owen: 😆 😆 😆 😆 I can’t wait to have ten more years of back passes to look forward to

July 7, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Manchester United last night launched a £29million bid for Holland World Cup star Wesley Sneijder and they are ready to compete with arch rivals City for his Inter Milan team-mate, Mario Balotelli.

Inter will listen to offers for unsettled striker Balotelli, but the European champions are determined to keep Sneijder at the San Siro

July 7, 2010 at 11:44 pm

@Grognard: Grog i was reading a very old comment and there you said that: “I was always a big Scholsey fan and now i have started to develop love for Carrick also”

July 7, 2010 at 11:45 pm

@Owen: I’ve watched video and I actually own a copy of the 54 final in which they lost to a far inferior German team 5-3. The Magyars were frakken awesome mate. Puskas, Kocsis and other were just awesome player with great finesse and imagination. They were very similar to the Dutch in 74 who had all the skill and class but lacked that graft and grit the Germans always possess. Trust me mate, I know my football going way back. I guess to be honest my real knowledge of the game starts in 1970 but I have video and have studied plenty about the game before that, especially the germans as you would expect of me.

July 7, 2010 at 11:47 pm

@Owen: Also, Hitler was tutored by myself on strategy and tactics, congeniality, always being right, public speaking, being arrogant, opinionated, full of himself and generally being a delight to be around. 😉

July 7, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Xabi Alonso is the most Under rated player in the world along with Darren Fletcher and Sergio Ramos.

July 7, 2010 at 11:50 pm

@Owen: Have you considered help from a psychiatrist or even thought of entering a convent to live a life of sacrifice and piety for your sins? Seriously mate, I’m worried about you. 😉 😉 😀 😀 😀

July 7, 2010 at 11:51 pm

@Grognard: If you can teach Hitler ,then who the fuck is Fergie who has refused to hear you for last 2 years. 🙄

July 7, 2010 at 11:51 pm

@Owen: Alonso and Ramos are Spanish players and thus they are scum. 😀

July 7, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Wayne Rooney has won maximum number of prizes at WC 2010 with Ugliest Player Award,Worst player Award by media whole over the world and Best Player Award by English Media.

July 7, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Acc. to English Media,Villa along with Sneijder and Rooney are in contention to win Golden Ball Award with Rooney having a slight advantage .

July 7, 2010 at 11:59 pm

United team just before 2018 World Cup

GK EVDS
    RB Neville
    CB Rio
    CB O’Shea
    LB Evra
    MF Scholes
    MF Giggs
    MF Fletcher
    MF Phil Neville
    ST Owen/Solksjaer (after miracle arthroscopic surgery completely fixes their lingering injuries)
    ST Rooney

R Pig
    R Evans
    R Silvestre
    R Berbatov
    R Raul
    R Joe Cole
    R Shevchenko (just to piss of Mourinho)

July 8, 2010 at 12:03 am

@Grognard: Fergie has just rejected your list because he wants Park in the team at any cost as he shows real value of the money 🙄

July 8, 2010 at 12:03 am

@Owen: Fergie is a sad pathetic little man who’s greatest failure is not hiring me instead of Mick Phelan as his #2. Why? Because he is afraid that I will eventually usurp his authority and take over the club by using my tactic and knowledge on performing coup’s or junta’s. I’m the true Dr. Evil and he’s only the margarine of evil, the diet coke of evil etc.

July 8, 2010 at 12:06 am

@Owen: Rooney has already won the Golden Bollocks award and lets face it, afte rhis great World Cup he has leapfrogged over that useless git Messi Robert Green and Capdevilla for the Balon D’or (or was that the Christian Dior) award. 😀

July 8, 2010 at 12:08 am

@Owen: Christ, tell him I screwed up. JEEZ! How could I forget Park and Anderson. I guess Phil Neville won’t be making a return tot he starting lineup. I stand corrected. Park instead of Neville.

July 8, 2010 at 12:10 am

@Grognard: The team which started today had 7 players from Barcelona.Have you any knowledge that such thing has happened before also with so many players from one club?I think if it had ever happened,the teams must be Bayern or Santos.

30. rimi

July 8, 2010 at 12:36 am

i didnt bring up your age to initiate a war, i simply suggested that you reference it every single time you get into an argument like it gives you some evangelical status, and might just have a slight baring on why you have to continuously defend it.

so if ferguson is not clued up regarding the glazer’s intent and proceedings then it’s not really fair to hold him accountable and crucify him is it?

and as far as the analogy goes i wasn’t referring solely to this matter. from your rekoning, what use is there of you ever questioning alex fergusons actions related to football, considering his cv and experience exceeds anything that you can offer. but yes you still do it on a regular basis here.

corporations, their motives and their extortion was something never in question, and thus the recollection of your lifes achievements wasn’t really necessary. i may not be at your level, but for the record i did do A level economics, have a computing degree, and yes was an avid fan of rage against the machine during my teens so lets say im not a conformist sheep with no knowledge on western politics and the cancer that is polluting the world.

if you are so intellectually superior and sick of being questioned by inferiors, then surely you wouldnt even entertain the idea of regular conversation on some joe public man utd forum trying to get mario and luigi to kiss your ass?

and sorry but yes you don’t always come across has the open minded and utopian you proclaim, more like some one south of the border.

and on another note im happy that spain are into the finals, i may go visit my family who live over there because the atmosphere will be excellent if they beat holland. germany have been a quality team that just fell short when it mattered, but this group of players will build a foundation for success i am sure. i was actually in berlin for the world cup in 2006 and the atmosphere was insane, especially aiding the minute argentinian following against a german filled fifa fan festival in the quarter-finals.

July 8, 2010 at 12:38 am

@Owen: I’m not sure about Santos or any South American teams but West Germany 74 was saturated with Bayern players (Maier, Schwarzenbeck, Beckenbauer, Hoeness, Muller, Breitner, Kapellmann). the Dutch of 74 were mostly Ajax players or former Ajax players like (Cruyff, Neeskens, Haan, Keizer, Krol, Rep, Suurbier and Geels). The smaller nations who compete usually pick most of their talent from just a few domestic teams but really, they don’t count in this debate because they are nobodies. The present German team has a lot of Bayern players or former Bayern players. (Butt, Lahm, Ballack, Schweinsteiger, Mueller, Klose, Podolski, Kroos, Jansen, Badstuber and Gomez.). Of all that group, 8 are currently with Bayern but only 4 or 5 start for Germany. Hell I remember years where Belgium consisted of players from only two teams, Brugge and Anderlecht.

July 8, 2010 at 12:42 am

Just heard from media sources:

United have been rather quiet in terms of transfer moves until 3-4 days ago. Now they’re on the move in the transfer market, although how much it pays off, no one knows. We have contacted Real and Inter so far for players — although, with Real, we don’t know who.

By most accounts, three players in particular, are on our radar. Sneijder, Mario Balotelli and Panathinaikos’ Sotiris Ninis.

Sneijder, as you all know by now, has been the subject of a £29m bit from United. Inter president doesn’t want to sell: says he hasn’t looked at it because he doesn’t want to be tempted. It will boil down ultimately to what plans Benitez has for Sneijder. And even if Inter sell, it will be much, much higher than £29m. In my opinion, I won’t hold any hope on it happening.

Mario Balotelli: United are interested, and according to sources, Ferguson spoke to his agent for 10 minutes yesterday over phone. However, Man City have upped their bid to £28m, and it’s a ridiculously large sum that Inter would gladly take for an unsettled and temperamental forward. Also: Mancini has worked with him before, so he might well go there.

Finally, Ninis. It seems we are competing with AC Milan over his signature, and apparently Milan have pulled off negotiations.

All these is what I’ve managed to gather through sources, so we can’t really say how true all of them are, but there is more truth to these than we get to see in the Sun. So there…

July 8, 2010 at 12:46 am

@rimi: What I do towards Ferguson I do as my right as a football fan. I don’t have to be on his managerial level to criticize him whether you think I do or not. And your spiteful attacks regarding my defensive stance on my age is because you are threatened by it yourself because you do not respect the fact that somebody older and more experienced than you should have a louder voice than you. I can just guess what you do for a living mate. You say you didn’t want to argue yet you never broached the problem or debate with some class or with some respect or politeness. Instead you went on the attack because you felt threatened by me. Frankly mate, I am beyond this kind of BS. I just don’t care what you or others who don’t like me or what I write think. I respond to you out of courtesy so that i can answer your questions or correct your assumptions. I don’t like being disliked or being unpopular but if that is the price I have to pay for offering my honest, and well thought out feelings on something, then it’s a cross I can bare. And i don’t need Mario or Luigi to kiss my ass. You kissing my ass will be just fine thanks. Now go back outside and play with your friends OK Scooter. 🙄

July 8, 2010 at 12:47 am

@Red Ranter: Man Utd have asked Madrid whether they want to do business over Benzema .They have prepared a 25 million bid with cash generating from the sale of Berba and Anderson.

July 8, 2010 at 12:52 am

@Red Ranter: What is Fergie thinking with Balotelli? I wouldn’t touch that emotional basket case with a ten foot pole. He’s more full of himself, temperamental and arrogant than me, and as you know, that’s saying something. Why does Fergie always feel he has the tools to turn misfits into players? He’s talented but he is nuts. I also think that if he fails with Schneijder he will then go to plan B which is Ozil. Although I would be more prone in believing that he would sign some reserve player from Gremio in Brazil or bring back Phil Neville. 😀

July 8, 2010 at 12:52 am

@Owen: I meant to write other than Benzema we don’t know who else. And it seems it’s not only Benzema we’ve contacted Real about.

July 8, 2010 at 12:54 am

@Grognard: If Bayern bid for Ozil, I believe there’s no chance in hell we’d sign him. Also: how do you rate Ozil? Would he handle the rough and tumble of the Premier League? I’ve seen him only in the world cup although I’ve seen a little of him in the Bundesliga.

July 8, 2010 at 12:55 am

@Owen: Berba and Anderson are not worth 25. You could get 12 to 15 for Berba and a bag of Jubalani balls and a half eaten panini for Anderson. Personally, I think that is far too much for Anderson. I’d be honest and tell them to keep the balls. 😀

July 8, 2010 at 12:56 am

@Red Ranter: Could it be RONALDO? Or is he not worth spit? 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

July 8, 2010 at 12:58 am

Another important factor regarding Sneijder. Even if we offer Inter 40m and they sell, we need to give offer him pretty hefty wages. Currently Sneijder is on £3.5m a year after tax. Which means, before taxes it works out to about £120,000 per week. In England the tax rate is 50%. Which means, not only would we have to be offering him in excess of 120k, we would need to do even better than that to factor in the 50% tax rate.

All this means, we have to break our wage structure. In our current situation I think there’s fat chance of that happening.

July 8, 2010 at 12:59 am

@Red Ranter: If Fergie is really interested in Schneider/Ozil then other Madird player must not be VDV.So the only other Madrid player avialable is Lass.

July 8, 2010 at 12:59 am

@Grognard: My guess: van der Vaart. But I’m just guessing.

July 8, 2010 at 1:01 am

I have an inside tip that is top secret but worth the trouble of getting caught by posting on this site:

It is VERY LIKELY that United will bring in Sneijder and Benzema 😉
    It is VERY LIKELY that United will part with two of Anderson, Berbatov, and Carrick to fund their purchase.

Don’t say you got it from me 😎

PS: My source is strictly confidential and guarded by 1st Amendment, but it is made of glass and is a sphere with infinite wisdom!!

July 8, 2010 at 1:02 am

@[OPTI]Madschester United: Ha Ha Ha. Funny. 🙂

July 8, 2010 at 1:03 am

@Grognard: French clubs are mainly interested in Anderson and French clubs have a habit to bid 10-15 million for any player whether it is Ronaldo or Anderson.So i hope we can generate 10 million on his sale.Berba will easily get 15 million by Bayern/Milan.So Berba + Andy = Benzema,no doubt.

July 8, 2010 at 1:06 am

@Red Ranter: I don’t think Bayern is going to bid for Ozil. If you are Bayern where to you play him. In van Gaal’s 4-2-3-1 formation you have Robben, Mueller and Ribery and either Klose, Gomez or Olic up front. The reason they don’t want Ozil is because they have to find a spot and playing time for Toni Kroos who for me has way more talent than Ozil. His elusiveness is a gift and he seems to know how to ride a tackle well as i rarely ever see him get hurt form them. Very light on his feet. But I just love his finesse and vision mate. Great imagination.

Don’t get me wrong, Ozil is an uber talent but he is not as overall talented as Kroos. Kroos has great crossing and set piece capabilities as well as outstanding passing and shooting skill. His one weakness is his pace. Not lead footed by no means but certainly not as agile or as fast as Ozil. Ozil also has the ability to stop on a dime with the ball at full speed and turn on a dime similar to Cruyff. Kroos is also capable like Ozil of playing across the midfield as he can use both legs well but is predominantly right footed where Ozil is left footed. If i was Bayern i would not have resigned Ribery and would have resigned Ozil due to age, potential and lack of selfishness. But it’s too late now.

Can Ozil survive in the EPL? Why not? There are plenty of players smaller and skinnier than him playing there and his pace will always get him out of more trouble than in. He is very good at riding off tackles and having enough give to not get hurt. Cruyff again was very much like that as is Schneijder.

July 8, 2010 at 1:06 am

@Red Ranter: Owen will be sold to fund wages of any big signing.

July 8, 2010 at 1:08 am

@Grognard: Bayern are very much interested in Robinho as they want Klose to replace with him.

July 8, 2010 at 1:08 am

@Red Ranter: I’m guessing Casillas or Diarra. But knowing Fergie, it’s Raul or Di Stafano.

July 8, 2010 at 1:10 am

@Red Ranter: I will be the happiest person if Fergie buy Xabi from Madrid.But it will never happen.