According to Gary Neville, David de Gea “definitely starts as number one” for Manchester United next season, who further went on to say Dean Henderson still has “a lot to prove”.
De Gea was disappointing this season. He conceded some dreadful goals which would otherwise be considered as standard saves for a goalkeeper of his caliber. The drastic increment in the handling errors and lack of positional awareness cost defeats for the club in the Premier League as well as in cup competitions. However, it wasn’t long ago when De Gea was admired as the finest goalkeeper in the world.
United handed Dean Henderson a new five-year contract. As a result of this, the chatter amidst the town is that the English shot-stopper will be promoted to the top of the pecking order this season.
The United legend claimed that he was a bit worried about the goalkeeper battle brewing up at the Old Trafford. Neville said:
“It looks brilliant on the face of it. You’ve got a goalkeeper in David de Gea, who has been world-class, absolutely no doubt about it. He’s been Manchester United’s player of the season in four out of the past six seasons, but just over the past 12 to 18 months he’s definitely dipped below the levels he has achieved previously.
“You’ve then got Dean Henderson who has had a wonderful season and wants the England number one spot. He wants to be at major tournaments, he wants to play for Manchester United and he isn’t going to wait around.”
He believes the No.1 position to be the only one where there’s no room for uncertainty. An arrangement could be agreed where De Gea plays in the league and Henderson holds down the post in the cups, and after a year a permanent transition could be thought of.
- Gary Neville has no doubt who Man United should pursue between Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham
- Manchester United turn attention to Leeds United’s Kalvin Phillips after ending Declan Rice pursuit
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa