Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has defended the recent performances of Anthony Martial and believes the Frenchman’s form has dipped due to tiredness.
The Frenchman has started the club’s previous seven matches in all competitions and he has fared decently with two goals and two assists, as per whoscored.
However, most of that contribution has come in the Cup competitions and in terms of the Premier League, he has scored the solitary goal against Norwich City on January 11.
As such, he has failed to find the net for three-straight top-flight games following the win over the Canaries and this has led to criticism from a section of the fans.
In response to this, Solskjaer has defended the Frenchman’s displays and stated that the forward has been giving his best despite being tired over the past few games.
“He’s giving us everything. I’ve sat down with him and I’m delighted with him, and I know that he’s tired, but he’s never ever — how do you say it? — dodged a training session. He’s training, he’s available for every game, [I’m] delighted with the boy,” he was quoted as saying by ESPN.
Solskjaer has been unable to give Martial with a breather due to the blow for Marcus Rashford, who is unlikely return to action from a back injury until mid-March at the least.
The deadline-day signing of Odion Ighalo will obviously provide Solskjaer with the option to rest Martial in a rotation policy and the Norwegian has hinted the same in his recent press conference.
Manchester United won’t feature in any competition for the next two weeks due to the Premier League winter break. They return to league action against Chelsea on the road on February 17.
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion