Manchester United Players

Is the end nigh for shy guy Scholes?

Before we start discussing this United legend and his future at the club, let’s get talk of that magnificent milestone out of the way, as only a typically limelight loathing Paul Scholes would want us to do. I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you but Wednesday’s 2-0 victory over Portsmouth signalled Scholes’ 600th appearance in a Manchester United shirt. For once in your career Paul, take a thoroughly deserved bow.

When you weigh it up, it really is a monumental achievement. With the days of the one club man now looking decidedly bleak, Scholes may well be the last of a dying breed as he joins Ryan Giggs, Bobby Charlton and Bill Foulkes to become only the fourth player in United history to reach 600.

Although has anyone else around here been noticing more than just discreet murmurs of discontent surrounding Scholes and his future at United? Judging by his Twitter account, Mr Red Ranter himself wants shot of him come the end of the current campaign. I mean is this really how we treat our legends of the club or is it simply an unwritten rule that when you get to your mid-thirties, you just can’t cut the mustard at Old Trafford anymore? Fergie undoubtedly still believes that our one-time midfield maestro can continue to roll back the years and although I’m not completely convinced, I’m sure he can still do some sort of job.

It was proof in the pudding the other night that, when afforded the time and space, there aren’t many better midfielders in world football that can effortlessly spray around passes, long or short. The ball through for Carrick to create the second goal against Pompey was both splendid but hardly surprising as we all know just what the former England man is capable of doing with a football. Zidane called Scholes his toughest opponent, Marcello Lippi would’ve built a team around him and Thierry Henry once labelled the Salford-born star as the best player in the Premiership. You can’t argue with that kind of praise.

So why exactly does the jury seem to be out on Scholes, despite his unprecedented devotion and loyalty to the club and his clear ability to still be able to affect a game? Our number 18 certainly won’t get box to box quite like he used to, his legs won’t allow him to start every game even if his head tells him otherwise and he probably won’t score any more than five goals in a season. With Anderson growing in stature with every game, Fletcher developing into a rather valuable first-team member and lest we forget Carrick, Hargreaves and even Giggs who has proved he can be a central figure, Sir Alex has something of a predicament that’s for sure.

Well what would you do? Scholes isn’t a fool and he knows that at 34-years-old and with competition for places at Old Trafford rife, time is running out on his United career. Everyone makes mistakes (I’m talking Craven Cottage ofcourse) and to be fair, this product of our Golden Generation doesn’t make too many. Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves, even Gibson at a push. They literally roll off the tongue and they all offer something different but are they really streets ahead of the newest member of the 600 club?

Let’s face it, goals like what we witnessed against Barcelona last season will ensure Scholes remains at the club until his contract expires next summer at least and I can’t say I’m gutted about it. I say use him sparingly at Old Trafford and keep him in and around the squad, he deserves that for his unfathomable devotion to Manchester United for starters. Unlike someone of Gary Neville’s persona, the beauty of possessing Paul Scholes is that he will cease to fight a losing battle and I am sure that when the time is right, he’ll know exactly when to call it a day. Surplus or invaluable, opinions will vary, but will the curtain curtail as early as next month? Surely not!

1. Dan

24 April 2009 at 21:49

@Mr.Muhozi: Exactly! anderson is a beast of a player that is only really getting his chance this season NOW at the end. I mean if you think about it, its like hes been in hibernation this season and hes just woken up!

*waits for someone to pull out stats*

Do you even know what games he was playing in? he and nani have been non-existent this season.

2. MoYa

24 April 2009 at 21:55

@Mr.Muhozi: and @Dan:
    I have been following Anderson since his Gremio days and was way excited when United signed him… Came as a huge surprise at the time!

The only disappoint for us Anderson fans is that we know how much more he has to offer… His potential is scary.

And I mean he has won the Tuttosport award and these guys must atleast have a bit of on eye for young talent right! 🙄

3. MoYa

24 April 2009 at 22:03

I just feel that our United players aren’t always appreciated buy us fans.
    If you can play for the best club in the world, you must be doing something right.
    If we forever moaning about our players or assistant manager or tactics then why bother supporting Us… Thank Goodness we don’t support Liverpool!! 😆

4. Dan

24 April 2009 at 22:05

@MoYa: Exactly, i generally think andy has the world at his feet, he is almost the complete box-to-box midfielder, he cant put in the tackle, out muscle ANY man, he can run with the ball, he is a great first touch(which can be inconsistent at times though) he can play the through balls, accurately, he can pass long or short, its just that for some reason, he cant score!

Hes a big, big talent and i cannot for the life of me see what people have against him!

Maybe its the fact the the papers said hes the next dinho, well to be honest, if we faced milan, it wouldnt be that strange of a bet to say andy marks dinho out of the game!

5. Mr.Muhozi

24 April 2009 at 22:11

@Dan: i do not want to get ahead of myself with anderson he is not a beast YET, i am a massive MASSIVE fan of him i always get excited whenever i see him on the starting 11 and i believe our midfield has been much much stronger ever since he got the role i just wish he would play with “Mais Que Nada” which he has an abundance off but rarely uses these days, maybe it will come with more matches, but i also have noticed ronaldo does less stepovers and skills these days too, i guess its instructions from the coaches

6. MoYa

24 April 2009 at 22:14

@Dan:
    I also think his injury might have put him a bit back because before that my word he was turning into a monster.
    He has tremendous talent and the fight in him to go with that.
    Also nobody knew of his defensive skill until Fergie put him as a holding mid. I notice with a lot of young players managers tend to play them out of position to broaden their games.
    We see now this season that Fergie is giving him a much more attacking role at times.

7. Mr.Muhozi

24 April 2009 at 22:15

@MoYa: that makes two of us, even though he only played 5 matches for the tricolor all those games he made an impact, especially that goal that won them relegation which i must admit was just incredible

im not going to try convert grognard, i’ve tried numerous times but the guy can be stubborn, this is one of those cases where only anderson can make grognard and other fans a believer, though i doubt it should not take too long

24 April 2009 at 22:18

@Dan: Ever since Anderson has shown up my argument over him have always been about a lot more than his not scoring. But it was his non scoring that I could always throw a joke out about and I guess that is why your selective memory has chosen to only concentrate on that. I have had major issues about Anderson since day one. He’s a clod and I hate players like that. The fact you can’t see what I see is not my concern mate. You go on fooling yourself and we’ll see who is right in two or three years. Just remember who was right about Arshavin and who is right about Huntelaar despite your weak argument against him. 🙂

24 April 2009 at 22:21

@Dan: Well of course it was an exaggeration. Only a humorless individual who takes everything I say so seriously would think otherwise. But it was a an exaggeration designed to get my point across. Mission accomplished I think. 😉

10. Mr.Muhozi

24 April 2009 at 22:22

@Grognard: i guess you do have a dislike of the poor lad, but i really want to know, what in your eyes constitutes a good player, i want the truth the whole truth so help me god, and i can handle the truth too 😉

11. MoYa

24 April 2009 at 22:24

@Mr.Muhozi:
    Sometimes I’m not sure what it takes for a player to win fans over… Generally it is goals… Which unfortunately for Anderson just don’t seem to be coming his way.
    But fans in general have a high opinion of him, as we hear them singing his song… Even when he doesn’t play!! 😉
    His hunger and raw talent are appreciated.

24 April 2009 at 22:26

@Johnsom33: I admit he teased me there for two game sin a row but then he went away and came back and showed me nothing. I am entitled to feel anyway about a player and I refuse to apologize or defend myself just because a certain player doesn’t float my boat. Christ there have been people on this blog who have called Cruyff and Maradona crap. Grill them for their sanity. There is nothing wrong with me mate. I am a Hell of a good judge of talent and I have a track record of players I predicted greatness for and 95% panned out. IF you and others think differently, I respect that and that’s OK. I’ll just let time be the judge of whether I am right or wrong.

As for knee jerk reactions, we all have them and I am no different. But I having been bitching about Anderson for two seasons now. How quickly that is forgotten and only a two game period where I praised him is remembered.

13. MoYa

24 April 2009 at 22:29

@Grognard:
    I think you should just be a little patient with Anderson mate. 🙂
    He’s only 21 and in his second season. I dont think there are many better players in his position in his age category… Would be impressed though if you could name a few, Icant really think of any 💡

14. Craig Mc

24 April 2009 at 22:34

Ander-son-son-son, shake pineapple off a tree,
    Anderson-son-son-son HE CAN SCORE A PENALTY.
    When we played the pool he made Gerrard look a fool,
    Anderson-son-son-son, another season and he’ll RULE.
    Up yours all you doubters 😆 😆 😆 .

24 April 2009 at 22:53

@Mr.Muhozi: Scholes used to be a player that had a lot of the tools but I thought he was inconsistent and that he was easily taken out of games physically. I also thought he was a dirty little shit with some of his terrible tackles. What I loved about him was his passing and a good low hard shot.

What do I look for in a player. How about making it a little easier. What do I look for in a central midfielder.

1. Finesse; I like players who have a varied arsenal of tricks up their sleeves. Lob passes, through balls, one touch passes, flick on’s, back heels, chips, hard shots, placed shots and some ability in the air.

2. Aggressiveness; I like a box to box player who can make a tough hard challenge but who also is not afraid of getting in the middle of things or afraid to make his presence felt in the box and in the air.

3. I like CMF, AMF and DMF’s who have the ability to make free kicks well both in a direct and indirect way. Accuracy, power and above all imagination.

4. Vision and imagination; The most important qualities a midfielder can have. The ideas and method to dissect a defense with the wide variety of passes I mentioned above and to be able to do it consistently and especially against the top opponents.

5. Class; A player who carries himself with a certain dignity and with a certain amount of pride. Also, I am not into the workaholic type of midfielder who just uselessly uses up energy for no practical reason (aka Mr. Anderson). I believe in players who can turn it on when they have to.

6. Ability to change tempo and speed of the game; Mr Anderson only knows fast and faster, he has no finesse and no focus and therefore he has no clue like a Scholes when it’s necessary to slow a game down or send the ball to the opposite side to eleviate pressure.

7. Common sense; Having the smarts to know that if you make a long fast run with the ball, have a plan and have an escape plan. Anderson continuously runs himself into a hole that he can’t extricate himself from. You don’t see that from Scholes or Carrick. Only Evra and Anderson as well as Tevez have a habit of dribbling into a trap and then having no exit strategy. They are worse than the Americans in Iraq.

8. Coordination and ball control skills that are called upon in tight situations when there are no other options. Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs, Nani all have this but it’s a tough one to find in central midfielders.

Now here is a list of the midfielders who basically have passed my skill test and who have 90% or more of the needed skills I am asking for. Note that I never stressed the defensive end of things because Anderson is not a defensive midfielder.

Riquelme, Ballack, Lampoard, Deco, Gerrard, Fabregas, Arshavin, Xavi, van der Vaart, Sneijder, Diego, Marin, Moutinho, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Iniesta, Scholes (Pre 2005), Amazingly off the top of my head I cannot think of an Italian midfielder or even Argentine other than Riquelme who qualify perfectly in this category. Of the classic players there is Zidane, Netzer, Neeskens, Beckenbauer (he often played midfield and was a midfielder before 1970), Socrates, Zico, Maradona, Ardiles, Cubillas, Platini, Giresse, Gullit, Nedved, Hoddle, Charlton and Gasgoigne etc etc.

All world class players and all finesse players with imagination and vision. They see the game in slow motion and react to something before it even happens. They see the game a second or two ahead of the rest.
    Anderson doesn’t even see the game. Instead his head is always down or that fucking ugly snake pit of hairdo is in his eyes. 😀

16. Babyface

24 April 2009 at 22:54

Grog, who were in the 5% that you got wrong, be honest? 😉

24 April 2009 at 22:54

@Mr.Muhozi: Oh and I haven’t forgotten about getting you that German list of young talent for you to look at. I’ll get on that. 😀

24 April 2009 at 22:55

@Babyface: You go with that mate if it helps you sleep better at night. 😉

19. Beachryan

24 April 2009 at 22:56

I think a better way of evaluating Anderson is simply this: How many other players of his age are better than him in the centre of midfield? Fabregas. Maybe Gourcuff, but I’ve not seen much of him.

Wingers and strikers can be very good at a young age, because in a sense they don’t need experience. It’s incredibly rare that younger players make good defenders, midfielders and keepers.

I have no idea why there’s so much angst against Ando. He’s very young, incredibly inexperienced and is learning all the time. And he’s playing for the biggest club in the world. He’s inconsistent, doesn’t make great decisions and can’t hit the target. But he’s 21!

The only real problem with him that I see is our formation. Despite reasonably good outings last season, he is not and will never be a DMF. He doesn’t read the game well, doesn’t have discipline and that’s not what he’s here for. I thought our formation against Pompey was (hopefully) the one of the future, and in that he could flourish, the 4-2-3-1 that quite a few teams are using now. We have a host of players who can play in that 3, I’d say Park, Ando, Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani can all do a job there, and Berbatov can but only in the centre of that. It’s our real problem right now, and the reason we won’t sign Tevez. We got no one to play as the 1 up top.

24 April 2009 at 22:57

@Red Ranter: Thanks for that RR. And yes, props to Frank for that because that kind of intrusion into their lives is just out of line. Thanks, 😀

24 April 2009 at 23:09

@Dan: My God, thanks for the geography lesson. You see, I didn’t know Germany was part of Eastern Europe. And to answer your claim, BOLLOCKS! I have a great love for German football but I have never been a fan of Czech football, East German football before the wall fell, I hate Polish football and only since Hiddink took over Russia have I ever given a damn about the Russians. Hell I love Germans, for me to love Russians is like Greeks inviting Turks over for dinner.

My favorites have been clear and very simple for 4 decades. My favorite footballing nations have been in order of preference, Germany, Holland, England and Brazil. Yes Brazil. You would be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of the Brazilian national teams from 1970 to 1986. But after that they stopped playing the Samba style and started to incorporate more of a European pragmatism to their game. I didn’t like it and frankly, I haven’t come around to liking many of them since. My God how I loved Pele and players after him like the great Rivelino, Socrates, Zico, Falcoa, Eder etc. Its when Careca was the best that I started to dislike Brazilian football. And I make no bones about my dislike for fat Ronaldo and that ugly overrated druggy Ronaldinho. But I love the Twins and Possebon and I am all for enjoying more Brazilians provided they do me a big favor and stay away from Real Madrid and Barcelona. That also is a reason why I don’t particularly care for South Americans. They can’t be trusted to stay out of Spain.

So you are out of line with your accusations mate because frankly, you are calling me a racist and closed minded which I am not. I have certain things I look for in players and theatrics, diving and lack of loyalty are habits I do not condone. South Americans are addicted to these habits so if I choose players from other countries to watch and prefer as potential United players, it’s because I feel they are good enough and above all dependable and trustworthy enough to come and stay for while. So I think you were a whole lot out of line with you comment. 🙁

24 April 2009 at 23:12

@Dan: They don’t have the right to accuse somebody of a falsehood without the facts. 🙄

24 April 2009 at 23:14

@Dan: A beast is a good analogy for the kind of player he is. He looks like a beast with that unsightly mop on his head and he reminds me of a hungry bull who has just seen red. Not exactly criteria that makes a great footballer. 😆

24 April 2009 at 23:16

@MoYa: I will admit this much in regards to my negative opinion of Anderson. Quite a bit of what has turned him into an eyesore in my opinion has got to do with the way Fergie is using him and how he has taken him out of his comfort zone positionally and tactically.

24 April 2009 at 23:18

@MoYa: This is a rant site mate. Its designed for moaning and groaning. There are plenty of ass kissing suck up sites that pander to Fergie and the whole gang with delicious and juicy love ins. GAG! YUK! 🙄 Sorry, not for me. I have a mind and an opinion and if something is wrong in my eyes, I will comment. Only if we win every game 4-0 does the team get a free ride.

24 April 2009 at 23:22

@Mr.Muhozi: You are correct there mate. Only Anderson can ever change my view of Anderson. It’s not stubbornness. It’s the belief that I am right. Why should I betray that belief just because somebody else wants me to? That’s not being stubborn, that’s being true to my convictions. Like the conviction I have that Joe Girardi needs to be shown the exit door at Yankee Stadium. That team plays with no passion or consistency. 😀

24 April 2009 at 23:23

@Mr.Muhozi: Post #115. 😀

24 April 2009 at 23:25

@Craig Mc: Gee I must be blind then. I mean how can somebody who loves and likes Nani be so blind to not appreciate Anderson? Perhaps I am wrong and my Nani evaluation is out of whack to? Perhaps Anderson is good and Nani is total shite? 😉 😆 😆

24 April 2009 at 23:28

@Beachryan: Most teams aren’t desperate enough to play a useless 21 year old in the center of their midfield. Due to age and our injuries, we have been forced to play Evans, the Twins, Gibson, Macheda and Welbeck before they are ready. That is not a proper gauge or criteria to judge Mr. Anderson’s talent.

30. Mr.Muhozi

24 April 2009 at 23:34

thanks for that, i assumed that would be it but i was thrown off by the paul scholes comment earlier, i am quite surprised that you like brasil, shocked actually, i would have thought argentina would have been there instead. Show how we humans must always ask before assuming. Brasil changed there style for one reason and one reason alone 4-2-4 was dying, it did not work and it was 24 years since they last won a world cup, i think incorporating a European style was a great idea because since then they have won 2 world cups, 4 copa americas (beating argentina in the final twice i might add) and winning two confederations cup, not bad. The 2002 team was incredible, the three r’s was everything which is brasilian attack whilst the rest of the team was european, the 2006 team had too many old men who were not hungry enough but now this brasil is like the 1914 english army, lions led by a donkey, i really do hope he does not bottle the world cup

im looking forward to the german list, i’m sure marin and kroos would be there i also wonder your thoughts on Sukuta-Pasu

you never told me your thought about hernanes because he ticks everything on that list and more

31. Mr.Muhozi

24 April 2009 at 23:42

@Grognard: whoa whoa Joe gave us 89 wins last season considering he had a team plagued with injuries especially losing your catcher, and the failure of phil hughes and Ian kennedy, though i still have a lot of hope of hughes, he will be at least a #2 in the future, like anderson he also needs time and patience which yankees fans do not possess

by the way, your tone on anderson has drastically changed, before it would be a calm pointing out the obvious, but the more people try to change your mind, the vulgarity of your words has augmented and now it just seems you try to slag anderson as much as you can,
    the only players that would be happy if they replaced anderson, is hernanes or kaka, diego to a certain extent, but im sure for you the list is endless

32. Liam

25 April 2009 at 02:35

I love how everyone rates Anderson as a future world star ‘because he’s young’ but the fact is this is a cut throat business. Look at Liam Miller. He was an absolute star at Celtic but then moved to United as a bright prospect. He looked ok but wasn’t played in any big games and was sold on to Sunderland. He now plays for QPR in the championship. Who thought when he signed for United as a top prospect a few years ago his career would go into such a freefall? The fact is he didn’t impress in his appearances and was moved on. The same rule applies to Anderson, Nani and whoever and there is even more pressure on them because of their obscene transfer fees. The fact is, there is potential in Anderson but the team can’t afford to carry passengers in 9 out of 10 games so he has to play well to keep his place. At the moment he goes from playing great to playing bad and needs to develop his consistency. Tbh Gibson is the same age as him and looks just as capable if not more of dealing with the pressure on him, sorry if he wasn’t blessed with being born in Brazil but neither was George Best or Ryan Giggs and that worked out ok.

33. m34ch

25 April 2009 at 04:19

Squad for today, no Tevez?!
    Squad: Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak, Rafael, O’Shea, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Ronaldo, Nani, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Berbatov, Rooney.

Night folks, chat later. 🙂

25 April 2009 at 04:28

@Mr.Muhozi: I think it’s more accurate for me to say that I loved (past tense) Brazil. I haven’t been much of a fan of theirs since 1986 although the Scolari bunch were alright to watch in 2002 except for that awful final against Germany who I still believed outplayed them in that game and who were incredibly unlucky to not win. Kahn chose a fine time to go pear shaped.

I have only become a bit of an Argentina fan of late. Trust me, going into the 2006 World Cup I was not a fan and I absolutely hated them in the late 70’s and especially when they were captained by that drugged out piece of shit Maradona. I respected them but hated them. It was watching Leo Messi and especially the God of football Juan Roman Riquelme that made me a fan. I could watch that man play football 24/7/365. He adds a tranquil and subtle beauty and elegance to the game which I am just a sucker for. See he has the elegance and beauty in his game that Anderson could only dream of. And please don’t be one of those that looks to put him down for his weaknesses and drawbacks. The man is a maestro with the ball and I for one just love watching him play. In fact, as long as Maradona is the national team manager, I refuse to ever willingly watch another game of theres until the World Cup. I record all World Cup games or I would boycott them there too.

Any manager that would insult the great one and not add him too the team out of petty jealousy and spite because he’s tired of him being compared to him, is spiteful and disgusting. Riquelme is the national team and Maradona is a punk and a criminal that has no business managing a football team. He is the engine room and they will falter without him. Their weakness is that they have no other midfielder that can play the role of AMF like him.

I can understand your dislike for Argentina being a die hard Brazil fan. I feel the very same way about Italy. I hate Italian football more than I hate diseases, George W Bush, Dick Cheney and the Taliban. If asked who I hate more, Enzo Bearzott or Osama Bin Laden, Bearzott would win in a landslide. God how I hate what that beautiful nation with it’s great food, history and culture has done to the beautiful game. They are and have always been the ANTI-BRAZIL. One of my all time favorite moment sin football history was the 1970 final because it was the beauty and good of football Brazil conquering the ugly and negative of football Italy 4-1. How can I hate Brazil after that? Well you would have ask Dung heap Dunga that question? A negative defensive minded Neanderthal who has brought Brazilian football back 50 years with his negativity.

No Mr Muhozi, for me it is Germany and always will be. They play the game with a hybrid style that borrows from the pragmatism and hard work ethic that is English, the ground breaking and innovative that is Dutch, the organized and theatrical that is Italian and finally, there own machine like efficiency coupled with discipline and the individualistic and artistic that is Brazilian football. They have always been able to meld numerous styles and approaches into a well oiled and fine tuned machine that adapts to any opponent and is rarely ever embarrassed. For me the two greatest football teams to play the game were the 1970 Brazil and the 1972 West German sides. 1958 and 1962 Brazil would be a good runner up as well as the 1974 Dutch. From those selections I think you can best figure out what kind of football I prefer. And Mr. Anderson resembles none of that. 🙂

25 April 2009 at 04:33

@Mr.Muhozi: I forgot to mention that I have been asked in the past which team was the greatest to not win the World Cup in a given year, I think many would vote for the 1974 Dutch team but I would love to remind people of the Samba Bunch from 1982 with Zico, Socrates, Falcao etc. That team was a delight to watch and there sheer joy of playing and attacking left them susceptible to the counterattack of a far inferior Italian side which ousted them. They had one Achilles Heel, goalkeeping and that cost them. Italy had three chances to score and Paolo Rossi scored on all three chances. Meanwhile, Brazil peppered the legend Dino Zoff but were only able to score twice. I cannot remember a better team than that. Well before your time I’m sure but an era of Brazilian football with some real individual artists. 😀

25 April 2009 at 04:38

@Liam: A coupleof years ago World Soccer Monthly published an article that was the “Top 50 Young Players of the Future.” I was looking at that article a couple of weeks ago (I will try to dig it up), and found that at least half of those names have almost completely disappeared. These were supposed to be can’t miss stars. Injuries or just bad luck or being overrated have derailed many a bright future career. There are no guarantees. Hell, I used to think Sebastian Deisler was going to be the German Maradona. His knees and emotional health told us a different story.

25 April 2009 at 05:32

@m34ch: Tevez is not in the squad because he is on the “slow boat out of here”. This is the SAF preferred method of telling his young stars, “thanks, but don’t let the door hit you on the way out”.
    I would imagine that FSW’s desire to splash a little lemon juice on the Tevez negotiations, has made him all that more vehement not to negotiate!! I would also imagine that he will make any proceedings between Tevez and Liverpool as acrimonious as possible!!

25 April 2009 at 05:44

@Redrich: Opening his big mouth to Argentine media and telling them that he wants out is also not going to win him any more playing time. This is Fergie’s way of saying shut your trap.

39. Craig Mc

25 April 2009 at 08:14

@Grognard: Nani will NEVER be total shite, and United have not scored as many goals as last season with Nani on the bench, seeing he was 2nd to Rooney in ASSISTS. Bigoted Fergie has his jobs for HIS little pet boys though, so he can go fuck. And the rest of you don’t need to answer this post, because I already had a season of you lot spouting your animosity to Lil man Nani.

Anderson is one of Fergie’s faves, so I think he will do everything he can to push him along. The lad has had a fair bit of injury this season. Also unlike Tev and Berba he doesn’t complain, so the Fergie yes men do quite well in staying at OT. 😀 .

So as I said yesterday, Up yours all you anti latin miseries 😆 .

40. Craig Mc

25 April 2009 at 08:18

@Babyface: I think you’ll find the 5% is more like 50% Babyface – 😉 😆 👿 .

25 April 2009 at 08:43

I think Anderson has his uses but Im yet to be convinced that he’ll develop into a player worthy of a regular first team place. He has a good range of attributes: strength, acceleration, good passing range, tackling. But the area that lets him down is the mental side: the decision making, the positioning, reading the game etc. Yes he is young. But I also do not think he is that intelligent so these areas of the game will be difficult for him to improve.

I think he’d do a lot better if he had someone next to him bossing him around. Unfortunately none of our other central midfielders (barring perhaps Hargreaves) can do that. And even then Im not sure if Anderson’s English is good enough to benefit from that.

Really it always amazes me that players do not given more intensive English lessons. I would have thought the best English tuition money can buy should be able to make our foreign stars fluent within a year. If we did that I think it would make a real difference to the integration of foreign players within the squad.

42. Darth Red Diablo

25 April 2009 at 08:53

What’s all this talk about Kaka? Is it true? Or tabloid tale? Can anyone confirm?
    I’d die to see Kaka embrace the Red Devil Shirt!

43. Dan

25 April 2009 at 08:55

44. Darth Red Diablo

25 April 2009 at 08:58

Oh my… Looks like Fergie is serious for United to go out all attacking if he wants Kaka!

45. Mr.Muhozi

25 April 2009 at 09:20

i had a dream kaka joined manchester united, only to wake up and find a shit load of press coverage on the story, please let this dream come true like my berbatov and anderson dream
    link one

link two

link three

i know all of these are from the press and just speculation, but maybe it might be true

46. Dan

25 April 2009 at 09:24

Ive seen the rest of your post grognard, i have come to the conclusion that your being harsh on andy.

Lets look at the first 5 in your midfielders list, lampard, gerrard, ballack, deco all over the age of 27, all have years of experience of playing in top leagues at the highest level, ando does not. Fabregas has been playing for arsenal since he was 16, he developed into what he is now, he has experience, ando does not. You cant compare him, to those types of players at all!

25 April 2009 at 09:28

I’m inclined to believe the Kaka rumours for the following reasons.

1. Milan in principle are prepared to sell at the right price as they negotiated with City earlier this year. They need the cash to rebuild and Kaka’s value is starting to drop as he ages…so now is the time to get the most for him.
    2. Kaka seems to be getting fed up with Milan’s underachieving.
    3. If Ronaldo is sold to Real I doubt theyd have the money to buy Kaka.
    4. Kaka ripped us apart in 2007 and Ferguson has a habit of remembering players who played well against us
    5. While Ribery would be the obvious replacement for Ronaldo, he may not be available, in which case the best answer to replacing Ronaldo may be to buy another world class player (like Kaka) rather than a like-for-like replacement.
    6. Out of all the English clubs we’d be most attractive because we have Brazilians AND we win trophies. Unlike City who have Brazilians and um finish midtable.

48. Dan

25 April 2009 at 09:29

@Darth Red Diablo: http://www.redcafe.net/f9/milan-star-dreams-united-206474/index13.html

Its all lies starting from the caf. sorry.

Just goes to show how IDK journos are!