According to a report from German outlet BILD, Manchester United could miss out on Borussia Mönchengladbach’s midfield maestro Denis Zakaria.
Manchester United have been monitoring Zakaria’s progression for a while now.
United are thought to be one of the many admirers for the modern midfielder, who can play both as a box-to-box or a defensive midfielder.
Manchester United Ole Gunnar Solskjaer added some much-needed squad depth in his creative department with the signing of Donny van de Beek from Ajax last summer.
However, the current situation denotes the fact that they won’t be the clear favourites in the race as their city rivals in Manchester City are going to launch a lucrative bid in an attempt to sign the Swiss international next summer.
Beside City and United, there have been interests from Spanish giants FC Barcelona, in particular.
Mönchengladbach might fancy keeping a firm hold on Zakaria next summer. But, in that case, they would have to let him leave for free in the summer of 2022.
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid
- Paul Pogba turns down £50m contract offer at Manchester United
- Ex-Manchester United player named Northern Ireland goalkeeping coach
- Manchester United ahead of Arsenal in race for Ruben Neves
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw played Euro 2020 knockout stage with broken ribs
- Manchester United set to fight Liverpool for Saul Niguez
- Manchester United’s Facundo Pellistri set for loan move
- Manchester United should have signed Ben White, claims Danny Mills