Manchester United have been linked with a move for Sporting Braga center-back David Carmo in recent times.
Carmo is compared to Liverpool centre-back Virgil van Dijk for his sturdy physique and commanding presence on the ball. Despite only getting his debut in January this year, he has already garnered the attention of top European clubs.
The Athletic understands that a host of 10 clubs are interested to secure Carmo’s services and have spoken to his agents. One of United’s ‘big six’ rivals are said to be interested too.
Serie A side Roma came closest to sign Carmo in the summer but had their €17 million bid rejected. Carmo’s release clause stood at €20m at the time, but the figure doubled (€40m) when he signed his a new contract earlier this month.
All claims sourced to The Athletic.
United needed a centre-back in the summer but failed to sign one. Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof are the first-team pair but the Red Devils lack depth. Both Axel Tuanzebe and Eric Bailly are injury-prone, while Marcos Rojo and Phil Jones are not in Solskjaer’s plans and could leave the club very soon.
United need depth. However, Carmo’s €40m release clause is pricey. He’s a decent centre-back but for someone who hasn’t played even a full season, €40m is a lot. Moreover, given the stiff competition United will face in the transfer market, the cost of signing him could increase.
There are better alternatives, and United need proven quality, not future potential, if they are to mount a serious title challenge next season.
If United decide to pay a little extra, Dayot Upamecano’s €45m release clause could be activated next summer.
- Manchester United close to reaching an agreement for star winger Jadon Sancho
- Manchester United want Paul Pogba to stay at Old Trafford
- Axel Tuanzebe set to leave Manchester United on loan
- A look at Scott McTominay’s Euro 2020 journey as Scotland bow out
- Manchester United fans react to Harry Maguire’s dominant return vs the Czech Republic
- Wayne Rooney eager for the “mouthwatering” clash against Manchester United
- Manchester United confirm four pre-season friendly games including Wayne Rooney reunion
- Manchester United captain feels “confident” after recovering from injury for England’s Group D decider
- Jesse Lingard opens up on “emotional” England snub
- Not playing Jadon Sancho is a bizarre decision from Gareth Southgate