Manchester United are preparing a €55 million (£50m) offer for young Juventus defender Merih Demiral, according to a report this morning.
The 22-year-old only joined the Old Lady for €18 million from Sassuolo last summer, so one has to wonder if they would cash in so early. His move to Turin came only six months after arriving in Italy.
Demiral had only just started to break into the Juventus first team over the Christmas season, making four consecutive Serie A appearances before suffering a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee at the start of the New Year that prematurely ended his season.
Fanatik are reporting this morning that Manchester United are preparing a £50 million offer for the centre-back.
This report comes somewhat out of the blue as we have been more interested in Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly and Barcelona’s Samuel Umtiti in recent months with no news suggesting we’ve ended our interest in either.
Along with Matthijs de Ligt, Merih Demiral could still be part of Juventus’ defence for years to come. Regulars Giorgio Chiellini (35) and Leonardo Bonucci (33) are nearing the end of their careers. The Italian giants also have centre-back Daniele Rugani (25) on their books.
The latest player linked to Manchester United has 12 caps for the Turkish national team since making his debut in November 2018.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is certainly believed to be looking for a new centre-back before the start of next season to partner Harry Maguire.
Victor Lindelof has predominately been that player this season but not lived up to expectations, whilst Eric Bailly has spent most of his time at Old Trafford on the sidelines. The Norwegian manager has sometimes played a back three too.
Solskjaer’s signings have mainly been youngsters since taking charge of the Red Devils, so Demiral would fit that bill.
It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this report but Red Rants certainly find it a surprising story for Thursday morning.
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid
- Paul Pogba turns down £50m contract offer at Manchester United
- Ex-Manchester United player named Northern Ireland goalkeeping coach
- Manchester United ahead of Arsenal in race for Ruben Neves
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw played Euro 2020 knockout stage with broken ribs
- Manchester United set to fight Liverpool for Saul Niguez
- Manchester United’s Facundo Pellistri set for loan move
- Manchester United should have signed Ben White, claims Danny Mills