Manchester United appear to have been unsuccessful in our chase for Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez, after the Spanish international’s underwhelming announcement this morning.
Whether we made an official offer for the player remains unknown as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may priortise other positions this summer, such as a right winger, centre-back and holding midfielder.
One right winger we have been strongly linked with all year is Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho.
The 20-year-old is widely expected to leave Signal Iduna Park this summer as Manchester United are many people’s favourites to be the destination.
So far the price has been a stumbling block and the current climate in the world won’t have helped us out financially over the past couple of months.
As a result, Sky Sports journalist James Cooper doesn’t believe Dortmund’s £100 million asking price is realistic. In an article on their website today, Cooper says:
“The worldwide pandemic has had massive financial implications on the entire football pyramid and United aren’t immune from that. Yes, they’d like to sign Jadon Sancho – his name’s at the top of the list – but talk of a £100m fee just doesn’t seem likely. In the current circumstances, it’s difficult to make an argument for spending that sort of money on anyone.”
James Cooper to say a swap deal for Jadon Sancho would be more likely, adding:
“That doesn’t mean a deal won’t happen but the negotiations around such mega-purchases could now involve player swaps, players-plus-cash, or sell-on clauses that provide greater protection and potential revenue to both parties, when huge transfer fees are impossible to pay.”
There are many players in the current Manchester United squad that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer would like to move on. Whether any of them would entice Borussia Dortmund seems questionable though.
Jadon Sancho has a staggering 17 goals and 16 assists in only 27 Bundesliga appearances (22 starts) this season which includes his first hat-trick last weekend during the 6-1 hammering of basement club SC Paderborn.
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid
- Paul Pogba turns down £50m contract offer at Manchester United
- Ex-Manchester United player named Northern Ireland goalkeeping coach
- Manchester United ahead of Arsenal in race for Ruben Neves
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw played Euro 2020 knockout stage with broken ribs
- Manchester United set to fight Liverpool for Saul Niguez
- Manchester United’s Facundo Pellistri set for loan move
- Manchester United should have signed Ben White, claims Danny Mills