Manchester United are ready to move for Brighton & Hove Albion defensive sensation Ben White to fulfil Harry Maguire’s wish.
According to the Daily Express, the Red Devils have abandoned their interest in foreign defensive targets to focus their efforts on a domestic star.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ed Woodward are preparing for a busy summer as they look to construct a squad to challenge for the Premier League title next season.
Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Braut Haaland remains the club’s prime objective heading into the summer transfer window.
But the acquisition of a high-profile defender is also a significant part of the agenda.
While enjoying his rise to stardom during Leeds United’s promotion-winning campaign, White caught the eye of some of the most prominent Premier League clubs.
United and Liverpool were both interested in acquiring the Englishman’s services in the previous summer transfer window.
However, Brighton were adamant their prized asset could not leave the Amex Stadium for less than £35 million, which priced both suitors out of the move.
Staying with the Seagulls in 2020/21 has proved beneficial for White’s development.
The 23-year-old is a star in the making and has already enjoyed a stellar Premier League campaign, making 28 starts in Brighton’s 29 league matches this term.
Although he is not a household name like Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane, the highly-rated youngster could be a perfect long-term partner for Maguire.
United captain is reportedly eager to play alongside an English centre-back, which gives White an upper hand over Sevilla’s Joules Kounde.
Everyone at Old Trafford is desperate to get the most out of Maguire and a partner that understands the English football culture could be the right catalyst.
With Liverpool shifting their attention towards RB Leipzig’s Ibrahima Konate, the Red Devils have a clear path to Brighton’s up-and-comer.
- West Ham United vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Paul Scholes questions Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s subs against Young Boys
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at possible selection against West Ham United
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer unhappy with the referee’s decision to send off Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer delivers verdict on Man United’s dismal Champions League start
- David De Gea revelling in new offensive role at Manchester United
- Cristiano Ronaldo eyeing a Champions League record with Manchester United
- Edinson Cavani sidelined, but Solskjaer expects him to return soon
- Young Boys vs Manchester United: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is not under pressure to select Cristiano Ronaldo every game