Manchester United are expected to be in the transfer market for a new centre-back this summer.
Jose Mourinho has tested a number of combinations during his two seasons at Old Trafford but it feels as though the boss is still looking to upgrade.
Last summer’s centre-back signing, Victor Lindelof, hasn’t worked out, though the Swede did end the season well. Neither Phil Jones nor Chris Smalling have ever been seen as long-term fixtures in the starting lineup by the boss and Eric Bailly was even dropped for a few games at the end of this past season.
It appears we have now missed out on Barcelona centre-back Samuel Umtiti after the French international agreed a new five-year deal at Camp Nou earlier this week.
Another centre-back we have been strongly linked with this summer is Sevilla’s Clement Lenglet. And according to French outlet L’Equipe, we are set to go head-to-head with Barcelona to sign the 22-year-old.
Lenglet is coming off an excellent season in Spain where he was notably impressive during the Champions League second round clash between Manchester United and Sevilla.
The French international could be ours this summer too as L’Equipe understand that if any club offer €35 million (£30.7m) this summer the player will leave Sevilla.
This represents excellent value in today’s market given that the player has proven himself in both the Champions League and La Liga. We paid £31 million for Victor Lindelof last season so I cannot see anyone at the club hesitating over a similar offer for Lenglet should Jose Mourinho want him.
Clement Lenglet has three years left on his contract at Sevilla and played 54 games in all competitions for them last season. He has excellent positional sense and is capable of marking a striker out of a game.
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid
- Paul Pogba turns down £50m contract offer at Manchester United
- Ex-Manchester United player named Northern Ireland goalkeeping coach
- Manchester United ahead of Arsenal in race for Ruben Neves
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw played Euro 2020 knockout stage with broken ribs
- Manchester United set to fight Liverpool for Saul Niguez
- Manchester United’s Facundo Pellistri set for loan move
- Manchester United should have signed Ben White, claims Danny Mills