Manchester United may be in the transfer market for a new goalkeeper this summer as David de Gea has yet to put pen to paper over a new deal at Old Trafford.
The Spanish number one is heading into the final 12 months of his current deal with no sign of staying on beyond 2020, amid speculation he could be on his way to Real Madrid this summer.
We currently have Sergio Romero, 32, on our books, but if we’re to put in a strong challenge for a top four finish this season then we simply have to upgrade on the Argentine, should de Gea leave.
One goalkeeper we continue to be linked to is AC Milan’s young sensation, Gianluigi Donnarumma. Once tipped to be the long-term successor to Gianluigi Buffon for the Italian national team, the 20-year-old has been the regular first choice at the San Siro for four seasons now, earning 12 senior international caps.
Donnarumma has had some poor performances this season but remains one of the top goalkeepers in world football right now. And our hopes of signing him as de Gea’s replacement have improved greatly as his agent, Mino Raiola, has suggested that the shot stopper’s future in Milan hinges on whether they qualify for next season’s Champions League or not.
Reports in Italy are claiming that Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain will be on red alert should AC Milan fail to finish in the top four of this season’s Serie A. Heading into this weekend’s final game of the season, the Rossoneri find themselves in fifth; one point behind both Internazionale and Atalanta in the final Champions League places.
The report in Calciomercato even claims that a bid of €60-70 million (£53-62m) would be enough for the highly-rated goalkeeper. One would thing we could easily get that much, if not more, for David de Gea, should we decide to cash in on the Spaniard this summer.
All eyes will be on the results in Italy this weekend then as it could open up a great opportunity for us to sign an up-and-coming star…
- Juan Mata considering Manchester United exit in January
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Villarreal
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion