Manchester United recently let out a list of 10 players which they are planning to let go of this summer. The list included some big names like Angel Gomes, Cameron Borthwick-Johnson and Demetri Mitchell which came as a bolt out of the blue for the fans.
Amongst the players who are being released, the full-backs Cameron Borthwick and Demetri Mitchell have already bid farewell to the club on Instagram.
Subsequent to the news of him leaving, Cameron left a unfeigned message on his social media :
“After 17 years at the club, it’s time for me to leave Manchester United. Growing up as a kid from Manchester, all I wanted to do was play for United.”
He went on to express his gratitude for the members and supporters of the club :
“To make my debut for the club I grew up supporting was a dream come true and a day that will stay in my heart forever. To that, I owe a huge amount of gratitude to those members of the club who believed in me. Lastly, I’d like to say a big thank you to all the fans who have supported me and continue to do so.”
Cameron got his first shot to play for the first team under Louis van Gaal in the 2015-16 season. He made a total of 14 appearances before he was sent on loan to Wolves, Leeds, Scunthorpe, Oldham and Tranmere.
On the other hand, Demetri Mitchell posted a picture of his days at the United academy with a caption that read ” Thank you Manchester United Family”.
Mitchell made his debut for the first team at the end of the 2016-17 season under the managerial regime of Jose Mourinho and that was the only appearance he ever made. Mitchell was considered to be United’s best reserve team player and was given a loan move to the Scottish club, Heart of Midlothian. His performance in the Scottish Premiership was once the talk of the town. Prior to his string of injuries, he had been named the Denzil Haroun Reserve Team Player of the Year.
He suffered a Cartilage Damage in month of Feb 2019 which terminated his stay at the Scottish club and therefore he came back to United. In September he returned to training but soon more injuries fell his way and he couldn’t return to training until December. With no appearances in the under-23s this season, he is being released by the club as his contract comes to an end.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer justified the steps taken by the club :
“You have to tear the house down and let the players leave that weren’t here in their minds. We have now got players here who will go that extra yard, that culture I want to set at the club.”
The rest of the players who are being let off this summer include George Tanner, Ethan Hamilton, Dion Mcghee, Kieran O’Hara and Aiden Barlow. United has offered them to continue training at the AON training complex until the next season began as a package of support so that they are able to maintain their fitness for the next season.
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Manchester United prepared to lose Paul Pogba for free next summer
- Paul Merson explains why Ole Gunnar Solskjaer cannot quit Man Utd job
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta