Manchester United are reportedly leading the transfer race for Wolverhampton Wanderers star Ruben Neves.
The 24-year-old has been heavily linked with Arsenal in recent weeks, with the player viewed as a replacement for Roma-bound Granit Xhaka.
However, the Gunners might find it difficult to land their target, according to talkSPORT’s Alex Crook.
He says United are currently in pole position to secure the services of the Portuguese footballer.
United have already confirmed the signing of Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund while they are also closing in on Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane.
But the latest reports from Crook suggests that Neves may also make a move to Manchester this summer.
He said: “Neves is another player Mikel Arteta has been monitoring very closely, but the trail seems to have gone cold there over a move to Arsenal.
“Wolves have their price tag, £35m, and they’re willing to do business to try and generate some funds for their new manager Bruno Lage.
“Liverpool were mentioned to me, but there’s definite interest from Manchester United.
“Ruben Neves is a Portuguese teammate of Bruno Fernandes and he is actively trying to push Neves towards Old Trafford.
“They do want another midfielder regardless of Paul Pogba’s future at the club.”
United are in the market for a defensive midfielder and Neves looks like a good option for them.
He boasts plenty of Premier League and European experience. The Portugal international is known for his passing, intelligence, vision and distribution.
And compared to the likes of Declan Rice or Wilfred Ndidi, he comes at a very reasonable fee of £35m.
Since his arrival at Molineux in 2017, he has made 176 appearances across all competitions, scoring 20 goals and creating 10 assists.
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides contract update about Manchester United star
- Manchester United unwilling to let Daniel James leave
- AC Milan to make another bid for Manchester United’s Diogo Dalot
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pens new contract at Manchester United
- Manchester United starlet Will Fish joins Stockport County on loan
- Paul McShane rejoins Manchester United in a player-coach role
- Manchester United expecting formal offer from PSG for Paul Pogba
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid