Manchester United Under-21 goalkeeper Joel Castro Pereira has completed a season long loan move to Belenenses in Portugal.
The 20-year-old man between the woods, is departing from the club second time on the trot on loan, after playing for Rochdale in the 2015-16 season.
Pereira, who was included in Portugal’s Olympic squad as well, was on the substitue’s list in the senior team’s Europa League clash triumph over FC Midtjylland back in February. The goalkeeper was vice captain for Under-21s, when the rookie Red Devils won the title at White Hart Lane in May earlier this year.
As 26 year old Ricardo Ribeiro left Belenenses this window,the Lisbon based club’s hunt for new goalie saw them capturing the young United prospect. Reportedly, Belenenses has no option to buy the keeper, as they secured only temporary move.
“Manchester United goalkeeper Joel Castro Pereira has agreed a loan move to Belenenses in the Reds’ final piece of business on transfer deadline day,” a statement read on United’s official website.
“The 20-year-old, who was part of Portugal’s Olympic squad, is leaving Old Trafford for the second time on a temporary basis after representing Rochdale last term.
“Pereira was on the bench for the first team’s Europa League win over Midtjylland in February and deputised for James Weir as Under-21s captain when the young Reds clinched the title at Tottenham’s White Hart Lane in May.
“Ricardo Ribeiro left Belenenses in the summer and the Lisbon-based club’s search for a new goalkeeper led them to pull off a late swoop for the United man.”
With David De Gea being arguably the best goalkeeper of the Premier League, if not in the world, the first team chances of Pereira were minuscule. So the move makes sense.
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash