Manchester United attacker Angel Gomes is reluctant to pen a new contract with the club due to their plans for the summer transfer window, Manchester Evening News reports.
The 19-year-old’s current deal with United expires at the end of next month and the club have yet to convince him to put pen-to-paper on a new long-term deal.
The lack of playing time has been the primary reason behind the attacker’s contract standoff but M.E.N reports that he has also been discouraged by the club’s transfer plans for the summer.
United are looking into possible deals for three young British players in Jack Grealish, Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham and Gomes is concerned that his playing prospects may not improve anytime soon.
Gomes has struggled to break into Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s this term and he has been restricted to six appearances for the club across all competitions – out of which only three have been starts.
In the same period, he has witnessed Mason Greenwood and Brandon Williams make the jump from the development squad to become first-team regulars and that has led to some frustration.
Obviously, Gomes has not had any impact with the chances offered to him and he is pretty much in the same bracket as Tahith Chong, who has yet to make a mark with the senior squad.
The Dutchman ended the speculation over his future by penning a two-year extension earlier this year but it appears that United could be resigned to losing Gomes on a free transfer in the near future.
- David Moyes explains why West Ham United did not pursue Jesse Lingard
- West Ham United vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Paul Scholes questions Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s subs against Young Boys
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at possible selection against West Ham United
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer unhappy with the referee’s decision to send off Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer delivers verdict on Man United’s dismal Champions League start
- David De Gea revelling in new offensive role at Manchester United
- Cristiano Ronaldo eyeing a Champions League record with Manchester United
- Edinson Cavani sidelined, but Solskjaer expects him to return soon
- Young Boys vs Manchester United: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups