Manchester United could be without Fred and Edinson Cavani for the Premier League trip to Leicester City after the international break, BBC Sports’ Simon Stone reports.
The Red Devils have struggled for consistency over the past few weeks, winning just one of their previous four matches across all competitions.
Their schedule becomes tougher hereafter with Leicester, Atalanta (twice), Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City to face before the next international break.
They are scheduled to face the Foxes on the road on October 16, but Stone suggests that Fred and Cavani may not make the matchday squad due to insufficient preparation.
Fred and Cavani are currently with Brazil and Uruguay for three World Cup qualifiers each. The last of those fixtures are scheduled for October 15 (1.30 am BST).
United expect both players to play in all three qualifiers, meaning they are unlikely to be available for the Foxes game with the travelling time and brief resting period involved.
Fred has been an almost undisputed starter under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, and he lined up in midfield alongside Scott McTominay in the recent Premier League draw against Everton.
The Brazilian did not have the best of games. His inability to stop a counter-attack in his own half paved the way for Andros Townsend to score the equalising goal after the hour mark.
Fred was substituted shortly after, with Paul Pogba coming on. With his potential absence, Pogba could accompany McTominay in the centre of the park at the King Power Stadium.
Pogba has excelled playing on the left wing this term. If Solskjaer persists with the Frenchman out wide, Nemanja Matic appears the most likely candidate to start ahead of Donny van de Beek.
Meanwhile, Cavani may not prove a big miss for the Red Devils as he has started just the solitary game since Cristiano Ronaldo made his sensational return to the club.
The Uruguayan failed to impress against the Toffees last weekend. Ronaldo, who was surprisingly on the bench, is primed to start against the Foxes barring any late injuries.
Solskjaer has the centre-forward position well covered with Mason Greenwood, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford capable of filling in if required.
Rashford has been building his fitness after shoulder surgery.
He scored a brace in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Blackburn Rovers today. The England international is expected to be fit for the restart.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat
- Manchester United fans sympathise with David de Gea after Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pleased for Manchester United duo despite Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are yet to see best of Marcus Rashford
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Marcus Rashford’s availability for Leicester City clash
- Manchester United to be without four first-team regulars for Leicester City clash