Manchester United are reportedly one of five Premier League clubs, who are in the running to sign Dayot Upamecano from RB Leipzig during the next transfer window.
Upamecano has less than 15 months remaining on his current contract at Leipzig and so far, he has shown no intention of extending his stay with the Bundesliga outfit.
As a result, he has caught the eye of a number of Premier League sides including Manchester United, who are said to view him as a cheaper alternative to Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly, France Football claims.
The same outlet reports that Upamecano has a release clause worth £53m (€60m) but Leipzig are prepared to listen to offers of around £35m (€40m) for the Frenchman due to his contract situation.
Koulibaly re-emerged as a target for United last week and it has been claimed that United could prise him away from Napoli with a bid in the region of £74m.
Obviously, Solskjaer remains a huge admirer of the Senegal international but the prospect of signing Upamecano on the cheap could be hard to turn down.
The centre-back is nearly eight years younger than Koulibaly and he comes into the category of young and developing players which seem to appeal Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof are currently the regular choices for the central defensive positions and Upamecano’s arrival could directly hamper the latter’s playing time.
Otherwise, Solskjaer could go with three central defenders in the starting XI to satisfy each of them.
There is plenty of competition for Upamecano’s signature at the moment with interest from the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Manchester City.
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat
- Manchester United fans sympathise with David de Gea after Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pleased for Manchester United duo despite Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are yet to see best of Marcus Rashford
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Marcus Rashford’s availability for Leicester City clash
- Manchester United to be without four first-team regulars for Leicester City clash