A section of Manchester United fans on Twitter heaped praise on Cristiano Ronaldo after breaking another record on international duty with Portugal last night.
Earlier last month, the 36-year-old became the all-time leading scorer in international men’s football, surpassing Ali Daei’s 109-goal tally for Iran. He has shown no signs of slowing down.
Ronaldo has added six more international goals to his name. Three of those came during the 5-0 rout of Luxembourg in a World Cup qualifier on Tuesday night.
Portugal were always favourites to secure three points, but Ronaldo broke yet another record in men’s international football with the 10th hat-trick of his Portugal career.
He eclipsed the previous joint record held by United Arab Emirates’ Ali Mabkhout and Sweden’s Sven Rydell. The former is still actively playing at 31 and could yet redeem himself.
Ronaldo scored twice from the penalty spot before bagging his third goal in the 87th minute last night.
He could have quite easily bagged a quadruple but was denied what could have been his best ever goal.
In the 68th minute, the Portuguese showed terrific control to flick up a Joao Cancelo cross before unleashing a bicycle kick. He was denied his wondergoal by Anthony Moris’ fantastic reflexes.
Despite this, he entered the record books late on with a 10th hat-trick for Portugal.
Overall, he has 58 hat-tricks for club and country. Here is how some United fans reacted to the news.
Ronaldo can’t stop breaking records this year. He became the all-time scorer in the European Championships earlier this summer before making the most appearances in Champions League history last month.
Against Qatar this month, the €45 million-rated star earned his 181st appearance for Portugal, surpassing Spain’s Sergio Ramos, who was previously the most-capped player among European nations.
In the same game, he became the first player to score at least a goal against 45 different national teams.
With the way Ronaldo has been flourishing, surely more records are waiting to be broken.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat
- Manchester United fans sympathise with David de Gea after Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pleased for Manchester United duo despite Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are yet to see best of Marcus Rashford
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Marcus Rashford’s availability for Leicester City clash
- Manchester United to be without four first-team regulars for Leicester City clash