Manchester United have been given an indirect boost in their otherwise dormant pursuit of Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly.
Koulibaly has been one of the best defenders in world football for the past few seasons. The race for his signature has spanned an entire transfer window with no significant conclusion.
This clears United’s path to the Senegalese defender.
United need a strong centre-back to stabilize their defense. Club captain Harry Maguire is a lone pillar for the club at the back, with his partner Victor Lindelof making costly errors.
Lindelof’s performances have the supporters and pundits baying for the Swedish international’s blood.
Axel Tuanzebe and Eric Bailly have injury problems which makes them unreliable. United are also looking to get rid of the trio of Marcos Rojo, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones.
This calls for a new signing at the Old Trafford.
The club tried to sign Lille defender Gabriel to fill the position but were snubbed in favour of English rivals Arsenal.
Napoli are willing to sell Koulibaly if their price is met. Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis also confirmed this.
Napoli have a price tag of €75 million on the Senegalese international’s head.
If United don’t make any progress in the Jadon Sancho deal, they should move quickly to attend to pressing defensive problems.
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Manchester United prepared to lose Paul Pogba for free next summer
- Paul Merson explains why Ole Gunnar Solskjaer cannot quit Man Utd job
- Paul Pogba sends message to Man United teammates after Liverpool horror
- David de Gea reacts after Manchester United’s heavy Premier League defeat to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp delivers his verdict on Jadon Sancho ahead of Man Utd vs Liverpool clash
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta