Manchester United have been given an indirect boost in their otherwise dormant pursuit of Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly.
Koulibaly has been one of the best defenders in world football for the past few seasons. The race for his signature has spanned an entire transfer window with no significant conclusion.
This clears United’s path to the Senegalese defender.
United need a strong centre-back to stabilize their defense. Club captain Harry Maguire is a lone pillar for the club at the back, with his partner Victor Lindelof making costly errors.
Lindelof’s performances have the supporters and pundits baying for the Swedish international’s blood.
Axel Tuanzebe and Eric Bailly have injury problems which makes them unreliable. United are also looking to get rid of the trio of Marcos Rojo, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones.
This calls for a new signing at the Old Trafford.
The club tried to sign Lille defender Gabriel to fill the position but were snubbed in favour of English rivals Arsenal.
Napoli are willing to sell Koulibaly if their price is met. Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis also confirmed this.
Napoli have a price tag of €75 million on the Senegalese international’s head.
If United don’t make any progress in the Jadon Sancho deal, they should move quickly to attend to pressing defensive problems.
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid
- Paul Pogba turns down £50m contract offer at Manchester United
- Ex-Manchester United player named Northern Ireland goalkeeping coach
- Manchester United ahead of Arsenal in race for Ruben Neves
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw played Euro 2020 knockout stage with broken ribs
- Manchester United set to fight Liverpool for Saul Niguez
- Manchester United’s Facundo Pellistri set for loan move
- Manchester United should have signed Ben White, claims Danny Mills