Manchester United have been given a boost in their pursuit of Barcelona winger Ousmane Dembele.
Though, it is an indirect one.
Barcelona are close to completing a move for Lyon star and former United player Memphis Depay. The deal is going ahead smoothly for now.
This has been confirmed by Lyon sporting director Juninho.
Speaking to the Telefoot Chaine, he said: “He has 12 months left on his contract. So, He has got an agreement with Barcelona. We don’t hide that. It is possible that Memphis signs for Barcelona tomorrow.”
This is great news for Manchester United.
Depay’s arrival at Barcelona would mean that Dembele could leave.
The La Liga laws strictly state that a club have to sell a player before another one arrives.
United have been chasing Dembele as an alternative for their prime target Jadon Sancho. The Dortmund star is staying at the German club for the next season after United’s continuous refusals to pay his evaluation of 120 million.
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid
- Paul Pogba turns down £50m contract offer at Manchester United
- Ex-Manchester United player named Northern Ireland goalkeeping coach
- Manchester United ahead of Arsenal in race for Ruben Neves
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw played Euro 2020 knockout stage with broken ribs
- Manchester United set to fight Liverpool for Saul Niguez
- Manchester United’s Facundo Pellistri set for loan move
- Manchester United should have signed Ben White, claims Danny Mills