Manchester United have been trying to secure a deal for Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane over the last few months.
However, the Red Devils have now reportedly identified a cheaper alternative to the 28-year-old.
According to a report from Foot Mercato, United have an eye on Lyon centre-back Joachim Andersen.
However, they face competition for the 25-year-old as Tottenham Hotspur are also said to be keen on him.
The Dane spent the previous season on loan at Fulham and impressed with his consistent defensive performances.
He made 31 Premier League appearances for the Cottagers who couldn’t save themselves from relegation at the end of the campaign.
The former Sampdoria player was also part of the Denmark squad for Euro 2020, racking up three appearances for Kasper Hjulmand’s side who went out of the tournament at the semi-final stage against England.
The 28-year-old joined Lyon back in 2019 in a deal worth £26 million from Sampdoria but Les Gones’ record signing failed to make a big impact at the club.
A similar fee would be sufficient to secure a deal for the talented centre-back, making him considerably cheaper for United than Varane who could cost them more than £40m.
- Bruno Fernandes sends heart-warming message to Manchester United faithful after penalty miss vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United fans unimpressed with Mason Greenwood’s display in Aston Villa defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on reborn David de Gea
- Manchester United will pursue Erling Braut Haaland next summer despite Ronaldo’s arrival
- Manchester United looking at Declan Rice alternatives for next summer
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Aston Villa
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Carabao Cup Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Michael Owen blasts Jesse Lingard’s post-goal reaction versus West Ham