The January transfer window is expected to be uneventful for clubs in the Premier League as they are all feeling the financial effects of the coronavirus pandemic.
However, one cannot say anything with certainty. After all, Manchester United pulled off a coup when they signed Bruno Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon in the winter window of 2020, and everybody knows how well that turned out for them.
The Manchester side, as per the Manchester Evening News, are in the market for a winger, a centre-back, a right-back, and a defensive midfielder but it is expected that they will wait for the summer transfer window before making any major transfer moves.
The Red Devils have reportedly been keeping tabs on Ben White who is currently on the books of Brighton (as per The Sun), while they have also been linked with Real Madrid’s Raphael Varane and RB Leipzig’s Dayot Upamecano.
It is understandable that United are hunting for a central defender as Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo are expected to leave Old Trafford while the future of Eric Bailly is also uncertain.
The current contracts of Rojo and Sergio Romero are set to expire in the summer. The Argentine hasn’t been featured for the club in over a year while Romero was keen to exit the club in the summer window.
The English heavyweights are also without a credible back-up for Aaron Wan-Bissaka and so are reportedly eyeing a move for former Tottenham player Kieran Trippier (as per The Sun) who has started in 12 La Liga matches this season so far.
Solskjaer is also said to be a fan of current West Ham captain Declan Rice, but it looks like a very difficult task to prise him away from the London Stadium.
The Red Devils made great efforts to secure the services of Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho but they failed to land their target in the summer and subsequently concluded deals for Facundo Pellistri and Amad Diallo.
- West Ham United vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Paul Scholes questions Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s subs against Young Boys
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at possible selection against West Ham United
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer unhappy with the referee’s decision to send off Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer delivers verdict on Man United’s dismal Champions League start
- David De Gea revelling in new offensive role at Manchester United
- Cristiano Ronaldo eyeing a Champions League record with Manchester United
- Edinson Cavani sidelined, but Solskjaer expects him to return soon
- Young Boys vs Manchester United: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is not under pressure to select Cristiano Ronaldo every game