Manchester United are leading the race to sign Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovic this summer, according to Sky Sport Italy journalist Angelo Mangiante.
Red Devils boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is likely to prioritise the signing of a new central defender and it appears that the club are lining up a move for Milenkovic.
The Serbian has been with La Viola since the summer of 2017 but he has been tipped to head through the exit door when he enters the final year of his contract this summer.
The likes of Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund have also made contact with the player’s representative, but Mangiante suggests that United are favourites to land the 23-year-old’s signature.
United have impressed in the Premier League this season and are currently second in the table.
However, a title charge appears unlikely with the 10-point gap to runaway leaders Manchester City.
The defensive displays have been a concern for United, with Victor Lindelof receiving criticism from some fans for his positioning.
The Swede has been swapped with Eric Bailly on occasions, but the Ivorian’s injury record has hampered him from cementing a starting role.
It is quite clear that Harry Maguire remains an undisputed starter in central defence and the club are on the hunt for a new partner for him.
Milenkovic was previously on United’s radar when Jose Mourinho was the manager and it won’t come as a surprise if the club revives their interest.
He has a strong aerial presence at 1.95m and could be ideally suited to the physical nature of the Premier League.
He is also good on the ground with an average of three tackles and interceptions per game this term and could be the perfect fit alongside Maguire.
He has less than 17 months left on his contract and, as per Transfermarkt, is currently valued at around £25.2 million.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Whoscored.com
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat