Manchester United are reportedly monitoring the contract situation of Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and could make an approach to sign him during the summer transfer window.
Aubameyang has been with the north London side since January 2018 and over the past two years, he has contributed 61 goals and 13 assists for the club across all competitions.
The 30-year-old’s future has been the subject of speculation over the past few months with his contract due to expire in less than 16 months and this has caught the eye of elite European clubs including Barcelona.
According to The Sun, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is understood to hold a keen interest in the Gabon international and the club could make an ambitious £50m bid to lure him from the Gunners.
Aubameyang is said to want the assurance of Champions League football next season and that remains far from guaranteed with the Gunners despite their recent winning run in the Premier League.
In comparison, United are in a much better position at the moment and they are currently holding onto the final Champions League spot. They can also qualify for the elite competition by winning the Europa League.
Aubameyang at 30 remains at the peak of his career but the United hierarchy may have their doubts, considering what happened with Alexis Sanchez following his switch from the capital outfit in 2018.
Meanwhile, Solskjaer has placed the emphasis on recruiting young players with a long-term project in mind and buying someone like Aubameyang would mean that Anthony Martial may have to vacate his role upfront.
- Premier League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Liverpool
- Manchester United vs Liverpool: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Mark Lawrenson predicts Manchester United’s result vs Liverpool
- Harry Maguire delivers his verdict on Man United’s win over Atalanta
- Manchester United fans appreciate Fred’s Champions League performance against Atalanta
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat