Manchester United are reportedly looking to tie Harry Maguire down to a new contract by offering him a lucrative £300,000-per-week deal.
As reported by The Sun, the Red Devils are keen to reward the 28-year-old, who has been impressive under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, with a new bumper deal.
Maguire swapped Leicester City for Old Trafford for £80 million in 2019 and has since gone from strength to strength, becoming one of Solskjaer’s most trusted allies.
Less than a year into his Theatre of Dreams adventure, the England international took over the captain’s armband from Ashley Young, who left for Inter Milan in January 2020.
The Red Devils recognised Maguire’s importance to the team, making the centre-back one of the club’s highest earners on approximately £190,000-per-week.
However, the Old Trafford powerbrokers now entertain the prospect of boosting the defender’s earnings to tie him down to a new long-term deal.
Although Maguire’s current contract runs out in summer 2025, United want to make sure to retain their defensive mainstay for his peak years.
Currently sidelined with a calf injury, the European Championship runner-up is hopeful of returning after the international break, as United prepare to meet his ex-employers Leicester on October 16.
With the pressure mounting on Solskjaer on the back of a mixed start to the season, the Red Devils will be desperate to have their skipper fit and firing for their trip to the King Power Stadium.
United are also working on extending Paul Pogba’s contract, as the 28-year-old playmaker has less than ten months left to run on his current deal.
The three-time European Cup champions are enthusiastic about their chances of tying the Frenchman down to a new contract by January.
Pogba will be able to sign a pre-contract agreement with non-English clubs from January 1, which piles pressure on United to accelerate extension talks.
Mino Raiola’s stance on his client’s fate continues to throw a spanner in the works, but the midfielder is leaning towards pledging his long-term future to United.
Pogba has reached his United pinnacle this calendar year, developing into one of Solskjaer’s headline performers alongside his mercurial midfield partner Bruno Fernandes.
- Champions League: Predicted Manchester United line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Atalanta
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides fitness update on four players ahead of Atalanta clash
- Rio Ferdinand takes aim at Paul Pogba following the playmaker’s post-Leicester comments
- Manchester United vs Atalanta: Champions League Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has backing from Manchester United board despite Leicester City defeat
- Manchester United fans sympathise with David de Gea after Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pleased for Manchester United duo despite Leicester City defeat
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insists Manchester United are yet to see best of Marcus Rashford
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirms Marcus Rashford’s availability for Leicester City clash
- Manchester United to be without four first-team regulars for Leicester City clash