Manchester United are set to battle Liverpool to sign Saul Niguez from Atletico Madrid, according to the Daily Mail.
The 26-year-old was reportedly close to joining Barcelona in a swap deal involving Antoine Griezmann.
However, the potential deal has run into difficulties and the Premier League duo could swoop.
The Spain international is an academy graduate of Atletico who progressed through the ranks to make 227 La Liga appearances for the club.
He has also earned 19 caps for the Spain national side, scoring three goals.
Saul is a top midfielder who could be a valuable addition for any club. He is known for his tackling, aerial dominance and concentration.
During his time with the Spanish club, he has won a La Liga title, two Europa League trophies and a Copa del Rey.
However, United already have several players in his position, including Scott McTominay, Fred, Donny van de Beek and Paul Pogba.
But Pogba’s future at Old Trafford is uncertain and he could move elsewhere this summer.
If the Frenchman leaves, then signing the Atletico star would be a very smart move.
- Manchester United vs Aston Villa: Premier League Preview, Fantasy Picks & Predicted Line-ups
- Bruno Fernandes tried to save Manchester United from Carabao Cup exit in bizarre fashion
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Carabao Cup Preview & Predicted Line-ups
- Michael Owen blasts Jesse Lingard’s post-goal reaction versus West Ham
- David Moyes explains why West Ham United did not pursue Jesse Lingard
- West Ham United vs Manchester United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Paul Scholes questions Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s subs against Young Boys
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hints at possible selection against West Ham United
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer unhappy with the referee’s decision to send off Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer delivers verdict on Man United’s dismal Champions League start