Manchester United are set to battle Liverpool to sign Saul Niguez from Atletico Madrid, according to the Daily Mail.
The 26-year-old was reportedly close to joining Barcelona in a swap deal involving Antoine Griezmann.
However, the potential deal has run into difficulties and the Premier League duo could swoop.
The Spain international is an academy graduate of Atletico who progressed through the ranks to make 227 La Liga appearances for the club.
He has also earned 19 caps for the Spain national side, scoring three goals.
Saul is a top midfielder who could be a valuable addition for any club. He is known for his tackling, aerial dominance and concentration.
During his time with the Spanish club, he has won a La Liga title, two Europa League trophies and a Copa del Rey.
However, United already have several players in his position, including Scott McTominay, Fred, Donny van de Beek and Paul Pogba.
But Pogba’s future at Old Trafford is uncertain and he could move elsewhere this summer.
If the Frenchman leaves, then signing the Atletico star would be a very smart move.
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer provides contract update about Manchester United star
- Manchester United unwilling to let Daniel James leave
- AC Milan to make another bid for Manchester United’s Diogo Dalot
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer pens new contract at Manchester United
- Manchester United starlet Will Fish joins Stockport County on loan
- Paul McShane rejoins Manchester United in a player-coach role
- Manchester United expecting formal offer from PSG for Paul Pogba
- Jadon Sancho signs for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane is the statement signing Manchester United need
- Manchester United’s €45m opening bid for Raphael Varane turned down by Real Madrid